I’m fed up to the back teeth with chewing gum (2012)

Dalrymple has written hundreds of articles
About this forum
Dalrymple has written a lot of articles. We suggest that in order to comment on a particular article you first run a search for it. If you find it, comment there. If not, please begin a new topic with that essay title.

I’m fed up to the back teeth with chewing gum (2012)

Postby Gavin » 24 Oct 2012, 19:55

I just mentioned the forum under this article at The Telegraph. Choice quotation:

"It is difficult to look pleasant, let alone kindly, while chewing gum. Chewing constantly is ruminant or bovine in nature, but it also, in this context, has an aggressive quality: gum-chewers look predatory. Bovine and predatory – not an attractive combination."

I must say I never buy gum, but will accept a piece occasionally if offered! As for its disposal, TD is once again correct, and the sheer amount covering Britain's streets certainly tells us something about the country's inhabitants.

Of course, the streets would be clogged with litter and cigarette ends as well, were it not for the nightly cleanings. They just can't shift the gum. Not only does gum remain unbanned, but no-one is ever even disciplined for spitting it out, or for dropping litter. Ah, that's Britain!
Gavin
Site Admin

Re: I’m fed up to the back teeth with chewing gum (2012)

Postby Pam » 23 Jan 2014, 02:42

I know whereof Mr. Dalrymple speaks. I am a 60-year-old, white American woman who can't stand gum chewing or the people who chew it. My mother didn't like it either, but she was stupid enough to marry a man (my father) who had this disgusting habit. Like a lot of gum chewers, if he knew that somebody was bothered by his habit, he would redouble his efforts to be obnoxious, on purpose.

When I was a kid, the whole family would often go somewhere in the car, all of us sardined in. Then he and one of my sisters would pull out the packs of gum and proceed to stuff their mouths with it, chewing with their mouths open. Disgusting, but they enjoyed tormenting first, my mother, and then me.

As a result, I cannot stand the sound, the look, or the stench of gum chewing. Juicy Fruit, spearmint, peppermint, and bubble gum are NOT pleasant aromas to me...

I avoid public transportation, including buses and planes, partly because of the bovine gum chewers. I note that some chewers, most especially blacks, seem to chew as if it were the only thing they did well... with an open mouth, and very noisily.

I have performed medical transcription for a living for over 20 years, and I note that a lot of doctors and other dictators also chew gum, slurp cough drops, or eat something while dictating. Some years ago I had a 20-minute dictation by a psychiatrist who alternated crunching chips and shlomping gum.

I don't know why these morons think they don't make any noise while chewing, because their disgusting chewing, slurping, smacking, and shlomping sounds come through louder and more clearly than their actual dictation. It's bad enough when some idiot chews gum in my face, but it's worse coming through my headphones. If it were up to me, the damned stuff would be banned in public.

The Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity, if they really wanted to do something for transcriptionists (instead of hamstring us with demands for mandatory certification and licensing), ought to find ways to (subtly or not-so-subtly) discourage doctors and other medical dictators from chewing, slurping, smacking, or shlomping anything in their mouths while dictating reports. I think that transcriptionists deserve at least that much consideration.
Pam

Postby Gavin » 26 Jan 2014, 22:15

I think gum can be certainly be chewed in a vulgar way, but the main problem is the way people spit it out all over the place. Pavements in Britain are indeed speckled all over with little white circles: gum. We're really talking about the usual problem: lack of consideration for others.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Connor » 27 Jan 2014, 08:03

You might be interested to know that chewing gum is completely banned in Singapore for the very reasons that were offered in Dalrymple's article.

Chewing gum isn't really a big part of my life, but I'm not sure if I would support a Singapore-style ban on the substance. Certainly, I don't feel any hostility towards the companies that make chewing gum. The fact that there are so many left-over smudges of gum in public really says more about the people than the substance itself. Never once in my life have I ever taken gum out of my mouth and then simply planted it on the sidewalk (or under the desk, or on the wall of building, etc.) Even as a child, that would never occur to me. Who are these hordes of people that think nothing of it?
Connor

Return to Articles