"Veiled Threat"

Dalrymple has written hundreds of articles
About this forum
Dalrymple has written a lot of articles. We suggest that in order to comment on a particular article you first run a search for it. If you find it, comment there. If not, please begin a new topic with that essay title.

"Veiled Threat"

Postby MichaelG » 23 Mar 2013, 16:57

Has anyone else mentioned this book review by Dalrymple?

http://www.claremont.org/publications/c ... detail.asp

Excellent, strong stuff.
MichaelG

Re: "Veiled Threat"

Postby Gavin » 23 Mar 2013, 22:38

Welcome to the forum and thank you very much for posting about this - I was not previously aware of it. What a brilliant and meticulous take-down of a no-doubt duplicitous writer (who reminded me of Tariq Ramadan). It was extremely interesting to see TD put his views on Islam a little more clearly, too.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Maxwell » 24 Mar 2013, 00:15

I wonder whether TD would revise the views he expressed in this 2006 claremont.org review:

We have had many perils and predicted apocalypses before. Islamism, and indeed (in my belief) the whole of Islam, is potentially very vulnerable to the corrosive effect of the intellectual acid-bath of rational criticism. Therefore, what we have to fear is fear itself: a fact of which the Islamists are themselves fully aware. I hope only that the ultimate critique of Islam in Europe is not a fascist one.

With rational criticism struggling to find a foothold, his hopes of avoiding a fascist critique may have dimmed somewhat.
Maxwell

Postby Gavin » 24 Mar 2013, 03:58

Indeed. It should be remembered also, surely, that Islam itself is a kind of fascism. Perhaps it could have been defeated through reason if it were not for the sympathy and support it receives from the Left. Perhaps in 2006 TD wasn't fully taking into account the demographics ("Mohammed" now being the number one baby name in the UK).
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to Articles