Sensible or Spineless? (2009) {article mentioning Eric Ambler}

Dalrymple has written hundreds of articles
About this forum
Dalrymple has written a lot of articles. We suggest that in order to comment on a particular article you first run a search for it. If you find it, comment there. If not, please begin a new topic with that essay title.

Sensible or Spineless? (2009) {article mentioning Eric Ambler}

Postby Andy JS » 01 May 2013, 11:01

For the last few weeks I've been intermittently searching for this essay. I remember reading it a few years ago and being particularly interested by TD's espousal of a thriller writer from the 1950s, but the problem was I couldn't remember his name or the name of the novel.

A couple of days ago I started reading TD's recent book "The Pleasure of Thinking" and, happily, he mentions the writer on page 64 of the hardback edition. It turns out to have been Eric Ambler.

The thriller TD writes about in the essay is "The Night-Comers", published in 1956. I'm looking forward to reading the book now that I've finally discovered this information. (I have come across an online review which gives the book a score of 5/5. This reviewer him or herself discovered the book through the TD article).

For some reason the essay itself sticks in my mind as one of TD's most interesting offerings, which is why I've started a thread on the subject.
Andy JS

Return to Articles