Grave Questions (2013)

Dalrymple has written hundreds of articles
About this forum
Dalrymple has written a lot of articles. We suggest that in order to comment on a particular article you first run a search for it. If you find it, comment there. If not, please begin a new topic with that essay title.

Grave Questions (2013)

Postby Gavin » 10 Jun 2013, 16:16

I'm sure have all met individuals from very different cultures with whom we have got on well, usually on a superficial level. I do, to this day. But in this article TD admits that it is sentimental to expect a person to feel happy if several million such foreigners arrive in their town or country. It's an interesting article which gives some insight again into Dalrymple's views on multiculturalism. We see such phrases as:

What is possible, though by no means guaranteed, between individuals, however, often turns out to be impossible or at any rate much more difficult between groups.

and even:

To the questions above I do not think any definitive answer can be given.

It's a touching article, too. I also find graveyards sobering places. The article reminded me of this place and (slightly spooky) website.

(The New English Review site is down at the moment but a cached version may be viewed.)
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to Articles