UNICEF's Chemical Weapon (2013)

Dalrymple has written hundreds of articles
About this forum
Dalrymple has written a lot of articles. We suggest that in order to comment on a particular article you first run a search for it. If you find it, comment there. If not, please begin a new topic with that essay title.

UNICEF's Chemical Weapon (2013)

Postby Connor » 26 Sep 2013, 03:43

A few days ago, while I was browsing through the articles on Taki's Magazine, I ran into quite a pleasant surprise: an article by Dalrymple!

Some of you may have noticed that I link to this website quite a bit on the forum, but this is their first ever feature by Theodore Dalrymple. I'm not sure if he's going to become a regular columnist, but if so, that would be quite an instance of my online worlds colliding.

Anyway, his article is entitled UNICEF's Chemical Weapon. In it, he tells quite a shocking story about the dark history of UNICEF which was entirely unknown to me. This article in particular is full of his trademark pessimistic observations on human nature, so do take time to read it.

I'll quote just one line, which surely capture Dalrymple's heart:

Save the world by all means, but please do so in private.
Connor

Re: UNICEF's Chemical Weapon (2013)

Postby Gavin » 28 Sep 2013, 09:54

Thanks for this. I've seen Clinton and Steve also mention it now at their blog.

A very good article, as usual, but I noticed a few grammatical errors that are certainly uncharacteristic of TD - strange.

This is a fairly radical publication to see TD writing for - interesting. Maybe he'll start showing a few more controversial views on topics such as feminism and the Islamisation of the West! I've commented over there too on the fact that TD's family changed their name to "Daniels" upon arrival in their country of choice. I see this as having been a polite act of deliberate assimilation, the likes of which we rarely, if ever, see today.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Connor » 18 Oct 2013, 05:52

Just an update: it appears that Dalrymple has, in fact, become a featured writer for Taki's Magazine. His third article in as many weeks has been posted on the site.

So far, he has not revealed any particularly "radical" views. Agreeably, he seems to be concentrating on writing the sort of glum, observational articles that he used to publish on places like the Social Affairs Unit. Perhaps they've included him to represent the lighter side of reactionary thinking. "Lighter," of course, is quite a relative term in this case!
Connor

Postby Mike » 18 Oct 2013, 09:28

They've been largely fluff so far, haven't they. Having said that, his pieces for the Salisbury Review have been a bit like that lately as well.
Mike

Return to Articles