Everyone on the Couch (2013)

Dalrymple has written hundreds of articles
About this forum
Dalrymple has written a lot of articles. We suggest that in order to comment on a particular article you first run a search for it. If you find it, comment there. If not, please begin a new topic with that essay title.

Everyone on the Couch (2013)

Postby Mike » 09 Dec 2013, 07:57

From City Journal.

One of his best and most persuasive pieces on the topic of over-medicalisation, in my opinion.
Mike

Re: Everyone on the Couch (2013)

Postby Yessica » 09 Dec 2013, 08:11

Mike wrote:From City Journal.

One of his best and most persuasive pieces on the topic of over-medicalisation, in my opinion.

Just wanted to inform everybody that there is also a discussion about this in the thread about cocaine addiction :)
Yessica

Re: Everyone on the Couch (2013)

Postby Yessica » 09 Dec 2013, 10:05

I have overglossed the article (Oh, I think I have too much freetime and an addiction to this board, where is the DSMV? Is TD-addiction a diagnosed illness now? Can I receive disability payments?)

I do think that most personality disorders exist. In some I am not so sure. I have - for example - always doubted the existence of "Multiple personality disorder" (MPD).

To my mind personality disorders are overdiagnosed those days / the suffering is emphatized too much. As I allready mentioned in the other thread, I think it is patronizing when people call a loved one "my sufferer" instead of "my brother / mother / friend".

A veteran I happened to meet told me:
a veteran wrote:If you treat a veteran like a hopeless case he will end up just like this. But if you treat him like a protector he will act like it... and believe me we would rather be seen as protectors than as hopeless cases
That were not his exact words which I unfortunately cannot recall.

If you treat something like a basket case it may be great for your ego "Oh... just look at this poor guy. He suffers from [put in the mental diagnosis here] how great I am here to help him. I am a truly compassionate person"... but one should for a moment think about how that must feel for the other person to always be on the receiving end of the others compassion. To always be treated like you cannot help it.

Having said that I still do think that it is great that people with mental illness receive the help they need those days instead of being locked away.

If I would think that I am the queen what else would you call that than a mental illness and how else should it be treated than with medication?

TD wrote:In the DSM-5, by contrast, “learning that the traumatic event(s) occurred to a close family member or close friend” is sufficient to trigger PTSD. The number of those susceptible to the disorder then expands considerably, for it can now strike those who haven’t experienced or witnessed anything traumatic themselves.

I can imagine that happening. If I for example would leave my son at a babysitter's and later learn he had been sexually abused that would kill me.
Yessica

Return to Articles