About this site

About this site and what you need to know

About this site

Postby Gavin » 29 Jul 2011, 09:09

This site was originally formed (in 2011) for discussion of the work of retired physician but active social commentator Anthony Daniels, a.k.a. Theodore Dalrymple. You can read more about Dalrymple and keep up with news about him at the excellent site The Skeptical Doctor.

It is now (as of Sept 2015) devoted more widely to the discussion of the plight of western civilisation generally.

We hope to promote intelligent debate here. As culture declines around us, it will be upheld here. We welcome the exchange of ideas but, unlike many other forums, we enforce certain standards to keep the quality of discussion high. Accordingly, by registering at this site you agree that you understand the following:

• We ask that users register using normal, real first names (in capitalised form - e.g. "John"). We know that in a politically correct climate some users may feel unable to do this, but "John" does sound somewhat better than "Tiddly24", and if you keep to this convention then there is some uniformity across the board (literally). If you are uncomfortable using your actual name then you can choose another.
  • We have zero tolerance of "trolling" on the site. This means that an off-hand, ill-considered post that is not in any way constructive might well be disapproved and the user banned by I.P. number with no questions asked.
  • We also have zero tolerance of ad hominems and of vulgar insults.
  • Thirdly we have zero tolerance of profanity. This is not the tone we are looking for on the site. Please select a better word or find another forum.
  • We expect a certain standard of literacy in posts. This forum is for people who can write reasonably well - there are many which cater for those who cannot, or don't bother to do so.
  • Registrations and posts which are spam (marketing messages) are immediately deleted.
  • A sense of light humour is welcomed as some topics discussed can be quite bleak, but please be careful of using sarcasm, which is not always apparent on the Internet.
  • Please do not SHOUT in your posts.
  • Keep a civil tone with other users. You can disagree, of course, but please do so courteously. Apart from it being by definition rude, discourteous behaviour contaminates and slows down actual discussion.
  • Please keep a civil tone generally and post in good taste. To spell this out, the following, for example, would get you banned: "That scum is breeding like rabbits"... when the same point could be made as "I believe that when the childbirth rate is so high this may present problems for society".
  • You may wish to familiarise yourself with this list of logical fallacies which are commonly encountered in argument and are well worth avoiding.
  • Please take some time to familiarise yourself with the syntax of BBCode. It's very simple and is used by the system to create HTML markup. You can preview your posts to make sure they are well formatted.
  • We reserve the right to edit or reject posts which violate the above rules.

This forum does not accommodate "argument from ego" - it is about the pursuit of truth. If the above rules are followed there is no reason why flame wars should erupt, and if they do they will not be tolerated.

If in doubt, take the tone of Theodore Dalrymple's writing as your guide, but really we are simply saying write as would be required by any formal publication - e.g. the letters page of broadsheet newspapers, journals etc.

These points noted, we very much look forward to hearing your contributions as we all discuss these most important of matters, which might be collected under the umbrella: "How we should live".
Gavin
Site Admin

Re: About this site

Postby Gavin » 19 Jun 2013, 10:08

For any newer members, please re-read the above terms to ensure you are familiar with them. In particular: posting in good taste, keeping good formatting (i.e. clearly indicating when you are quoting, writing full sentences), and not SHOUTING. We can discuss controversial topics honestly, but in good taste. Perhaps the slippery slope argument is not always valid, but on a forum I think it is. I will ensure good standards are adhered to on this forum, or it'll slide, and I won't let that happen. Many thanks.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Yessica » 17 Jun 2014, 19:11

That's not the right thread but I am not sure were to ask. My private messages sometimes end up in the "OutBox" instead of in the send folder... I think they are not send. What can cause that / What should I do to avoid that?

Sorry for not writing a private message to you, Gavin. I am afraid it would end up in the Outbox again.
Yessica

Postby Gavin » 17 Jun 2014, 19:39

Hi Yessica,

No problem. What happens is when you click "Send" the person is notified by e-mail that they have a new message. Your message remains in the "Outbox" (and is still editable by you) until the person has actually logged in and read it. At that point it moves into "Sent Items" and is no longer editable.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Yessica » 18 Jun 2014, 08:32

Thanks a lot for exaplaining.
Yessica

Return to Essential Reading