Insightful quotations and aphorisms

Topics which don't quite fit into any other category

Re: Insightful quotations and aphorisms

Postby Gavin » 01 Aug 2013, 14:40

"Manners are of more importance than laws. .. Manners are what vex or soothe, corrupt or purify, exalt or debase, barbarize or refine us, by a constant, steady, uniform, insensible operation like that of the air we breathe in."

Edmund Burke
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 06 Aug 2013, 13:01

"The world of the living contains enough marvels and mysteries as it is... I am too firm in my consciousness of the marvellous to be ever fascinated by the mere supernatural."

Joseph Conrad

"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere."

Groucho Marx
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Mike » 09 Aug 2013, 08:39

One I came across just the other day, when looking for some fresh material for my classes:

To forgive everyone is just as cruel as to forgive no-one.

(The original: tam omnibus ignoscere crudelitas quam nulli.)

Seneca
Mike

Postby Yessica » 10 Aug 2013, 06:51

Mike wrote:One I came across just the other day, when looking for some fresh material for my classes:

To forgive everyone is just as cruel as to forgive no-one.

(The original: tam omnibus ignoscere crudelitas quam nulli.)

Seneca

Sorry... why does Seneca consider it cruel to forgive?
Yessica

Postby Mike » 10 Aug 2013, 08:17

Yessica wrote:Sorry... why does Seneca consider it cruel to forgive?

Not cruel to forgive...but cruel to forgive everyone, indiscriminately. And I agree completely with him on that. It's a theme that TD has actually dealt with quite often (see this recent piece, for instance).

Perhaps I should have translated it as "pardon" rather than "forgive".
Mike

Postby Gavin » 10 Aug 2013, 08:43

Yes, or "excuse". Something the Left like to do all the time because it makes them feel righteous - excuse everyone everything (everyone except conservatives, of course). TD has indeed written of this a lot.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 13 Aug 2013, 13:29

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 13 Aug 2013, 15:20

All the world over, where flourishing and powerful societies have been formed and maintained, the notion of the gentleman has appeared in some form or other as a national ideal. Nobody reading Confucius, for instance, or the Li Ki - which is the Chinese Book of Ceremonies - can doubt for one instant that the idea of a gentleman was and still is a very definite thing in China; nor could such a reader doubt that the Chinese gentleman, even two thousand years ago, would have been able perfectly to understand every movement and every scruple of his fellow in rank in England of the twentieth century. There was also the gentleman of ancient Egypt, the gentleman of Athens, and the gentleman of Rome. ... the man who can be trusted at all times and all places, the man who is sincere, the man who is staunch and constant in matters of principle, the man who never sacrifices the greater to the less, and the man who is sufficiently self-reliant to be able to consider others ... so square and strong in body and soul, that his honour can be subjected to the greatest strain without snapping.

Anthony Ludovici, A Defence of Aristocracy
Elliott

Postby Paul » 13 Aug 2013, 22:04

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague." --

Marcus Tullius Cicero
Paul

Postby Gavin » 13 Aug 2013, 22:27

Ah yes, that's a classic... It makes me think of Tony Blair - some even mistook him for a conservative.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Paul » 14 Aug 2013, 00:23

Indeed yes, that could have been written for Blair himself. Has there ever been a more treasonous Englishman, on such a wide scale?
Paul

Postby Gavin » 22 Aug 2013, 23:53

“Give light, and the darkness will disappear of itself.”

Desiderius Erasmus
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Connor » 30 Aug 2013, 06:41

The central conservative truth is that it is culture, not politics, that determines the success of a society. The central liberal truth is that politics can change a culture and save it from itself.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

The paradox at the heart of the root-causes fraud is that causal explanations are invoked only after bad deeds have been committed or failure is a fait accompli. Good deeds and success have no need of mitigating circumstances. Confronted with people who perpetrate evil and live chaotic lives, lefties will toss free will to the wind. They acknowledge human agency only if and when adaptive actions are involved. (And even then only half-heartedly, as left-liberals are forever exalting man's basest instincts and debasing his most exalted. Trust a liberal to see God in cop killer Mumia Abu-Jamal and the devil in the Pope.)

Ilana Mercer, taken from "Chapter 5: The-Root-Causes Racket" from Into the Cannibal's Pot: Lessons for America from Post-Apartheid South Africa
Connor

Postby Gavin » 10 Sep 2013, 21:20

"Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor."

Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » 12 Sep 2013, 09:08

Paul wrote:Indeed yes, that could have been written for Blair himself. Has there ever been a more treasonous Englishman, on such a wide scale?

This may be of interest:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Cicero#Misattributed

I looked it up because that quote sounds like it has to refer to Catiline, but it didn't ring any bells. I did a bit of research on the Catiline conspiracy a few years ago.
Jonathan

PreviousNext

Return to Other Topics