Insightful quotations and aphorisms

Topics which don't quite fit into any other category

Re: Insightful quotations and aphorisms

Postby Paul » 14 Sep 2013, 02:13

Jonathan wrote:
Paul wrote:Indeed yes, that could have been written for Blair himself. Has there ever been a more treasonous Englishman, on such a wide scale?

This may be of interest:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Cicero#Misattributed

I looked it up because that quote sounds like it has to refer to Catiline, but it didn't ring any bells. I did a bit of research on the Catiline conspiracy a few years ago.

You mean the quote about Blair? :-)

Well anyway, it's more evidence that one must never believe what one reads. It's probably wrong. And furthermore, one must be wary of repeating it. Someone else will come along to nullify your words. Maybe Trappism is the way forward.

It still sounds good though I think.
Paul

Postby Gavin » 20 Oct 2013, 22:50

"Not death, but shameful death, is to be feared."

Unknown (found here)
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Keith » 21 Oct 2013, 15:20

Gavin,

(It has always struck me that part of the problem with people who are not very intelligent or wise is that, by virtue of this, they don't know they are not very intelligent or wise. Thus they are unlikely to have respect, as we do, for people like TD, and we have empty vessels making the most noise.)

This is called the Dunning-Kruger Effect. What makes us good at something is also what makes us good judges of something. Thus the incapable are doubly handicapped: they are not only rubbish at doing things, they are equally rubbish at judging what constitutes proficiency in those things. Since most people believe themselves to be above average at pretty much everything, that is until common sense and experience humbles us, then the stupid invariably believe themselves to be wise. They are totally unaware of Donald Rumsfeld's 'unknown unknowns' and many seem to be even unaware of a basic unknown. They unconsciously assume that all they know is pretty much all there is to know.
Keith

Postby Gavin » 21 Oct 2013, 19:33

Ah, yet again academics have done "a study" into phenomena which we can all observe anyway without having doctorates in psychology. Thank goodness they are there! But that is interesting, thanks! ;)

There I perhaps fall into the trap again: the most interesting part, for me, was that those who can do things often assume that everyone can do them. For a long time I assumed that everyone was pitch perfect and that it was certainly nothing special to be able to match notes and memorise music, but then I guess many others assume that everybody can do maths with ease (which is not the case for me). This can be a kind of arrogance, but it can also be a kind of modesty.

Certainly, though, time should teach humilty for an intelligent person - the old adage that the more you learn, the more you realise you don't know. This will not apply for stupid people though because (as we have established) their stupidity precludes them from grasping that they do not know everything (simply watch BBC Question Time for ready demonstrations of this principle).

I am glad you mentioned Rumsfeld's speech. Though it attracted ridicule from many on the Left who possibly could not comprehend it (so - in accordance with the above - thought it nonsense), I actually regard his remarks as some of the most sensible, indeed profound, I have ever heard a politician make. It is rare these days that a politician is a philosopher - almost unheard of - but the distinctions he made were, I think, entirely valid and worth spelling out to his audience.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Charlie » 14 Nov 2013, 15:24

I saw this today:

Evidently many parents don’t see good manners as essential to their own satisfaction with life. Or else they lack the character to exemplify it, willingness to expect better of their children, or ability to comprehend social disadvantages.

Good manners send two messages. “I respect you” to those exposed to them, and “I respect myself” enough to make you appear respectable—without you having to earn it.
Charlie

Postby Gavin » 14 Nov 2013, 17:20

Yes, it is a shame that showing such manners these days is often seen as a sign of weakness, instead of strength. He who is coarse and vulgar is often treated with awe and respect because it is assumed he can afford to be vulgar and not care who he offends and this is seen as strength and even an aphrodisiac, even though behaving in such a way is morally wrong. (One only needs to look at the genre of rap music and its immense popularity to see how true this is.)

The humble person's humility also is likely to be taken at face value today: if he says "Oh, I'm really not very good at [such and such]", ignorami will assume this is true and move onto the next (probably less capable) person who is unafraid to blow their own trumpet. Decency turned upon its head, as Dalrymple has put it!

A full moral reversal seems to have occurred in common society. Only the brutish and vulgar could admire such a value system, but our post-war "progressive" Leftism has ensured that a good many of these have been indulged (thus many more have been born).
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Caleb » 30 Nov 2013, 04:24

Caleb

Postby Gavin » 07 Dec 2013, 00:04

“Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet. So Tibet will stay unfree - as unfree now as it was when the first Free Tibet campaigner slapped the very first "FREE TIBET" sticker on the back of his Edsel. Idealism as inertia is the hallmark of the movement...He's [the guy with the bumper sticket] advertising his moral superiority, not calling for action. If Rumsfeld were to say, "Free Tibet? Jiminy, what a swell idea! The Third Infantry Division goes in on Thursday," the bumper-sticker crowd would be aghast. They'd have to bend down and peel off the "FREE TIBET" stickers and replace them with "WAR IS NOT THE ANSWER.”

- Mark Steyn

This is how I felt when the Iraq War was declared. Though it may have been ill-judged, I was inclined to support it when speaking with left-wingers, because their indifference to the plight of the many "disappeared" under Saddam's rule was so plainly in conflict with their righteousness and their suspect claim to care for those in far flung lands more then themselves.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 07 Dec 2013, 00:15

Speaking of Rumsfeld, let's have it!

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."

- Donald Rumsfeld

True enough - some deft logic, and a lesson to many a self-righteous liberal, if they can follow him.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Caleb » 07 Dec 2013, 05:34

I have no feelings on Rumsfeld one way or the other. Yet this quote is often cited by liberals as some sort of evidence that the man was a buffoon. What he said makes perfect sense. Grief, did not one of those people ever set foot in a philosophy 101 classroom?
Caleb

Postby Gavin » 07 Dec 2013, 10:18

That's right. Perhaps "deft" was an exaggeration - it was hardly Principia Mathematica - it was simple, but still a good point to make, and liberals exposed their own spite and idiocy for ridiculing him for making it. I suppose many just thought (in their juvenile minds) that the repetition was amusing and didn't really follow his meaning, or bother to try.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Andrea » 25 Dec 2013, 20:21

The following is from "Discourse to Students of the Royal Academy" by Sir Joshua Reynolds:

"If you have great talents, industry will improve them: if you have but moderate abilities, industry will supply their deficiency."

Here are some of my other favourites:

"Mea mihi conscientia pluris est quam omnium sermo."
(my conscience is more important to follow than the opinions of others)

- Cicero

"Give light, and the darkness will disappear of itself."

- Erasmus of Rotterdam

Polonius:
"This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."

- William Shakespeare

"Dig within. Within is the wellspring of Good; and it is always ready to bubble up, if you just dig."

- Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius

"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated."

- Sir Thomas More
Andrea

Postby Connor » 10 Jan 2014, 07:24

The sentiment that is very inappropriately named equality is fresh, strong, alert, precisely because it is not, in fact, a sentiment of equality and is not related to any abstraction as a few naive 'intellectuals' still believe; but because it is related to the direct interest of individuals who are bent on escaping certain inequalities not in their favour, and setting up new inequalities that will be in their favour, this latter being their chief concern.
- Vilfredo Pareto, taken from Treatise of General Sociology

While I'm on the subject, I'll just mention that this Vilfredo Pareto character seems to be a fascinating thinker from the 19th Century. I'm only just beginning to get acquainted with his work, though I get the impression that he was very much an "Alternative Right" figure from another era.

Here's an amusing article by Scott Locklin that serves as a good introduction to the man.
Connor

Postby Yessica » 24 Jan 2014, 08:21

Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.

C. S. Lewis
Yessica

Postby Charlie » 20 May 2014, 11:59

Although this is not succinct enough to be an aphorism, it is, I think, a very good quote:

The elite ... lack the self-confidence to punish wrong-doing because their tortured consciences do not allow them to declare any action absolutely wrong. But they also have no real alternative to punishment, pretending to believe in a ‘rehabilitation’ which has never been demonstrated in action anywhere, certainly is not being seriously attempted here (most sentences are so short in practice that officers barely have time to get to know their charges' names, let alone reform their characters) and is in any case totalitarian. Rather than assuming that a free man has done wrong and should be punished, the state seeks to reach into his mind and soul and change them to conform with its wishes (whatever those wishes are).

Peter Hitchens.
Charlie

PreviousNext

Return to Other Topics