One Republic

Introduce fellow users to some of your favourite music
About this forum
Disclaimer: Music posted in this section of the site doesn't mean we especially agree with its message (if there is one!).

One Republic

Postby Gavin » 13 Apr 2012, 11:20

Over in the contemporary popular music thread we critique what is certainly the shift towards the vulgar and cretinous being perfectly acceptable in the mainstream and very highly selling in popular music. From Jessie J (see this with its 57 million hits...) to Rihanna we see women happy to present themselves as street prostitutes, men presenting themselves as thugs, and then this is emulated by the young.

I suppose in this thread I wanted to point out that while we are right to be concerned about this downward trend, a few groups are still clean. We have the likes of Taylor Swift for the young girls. She complains about her lot a good deal, but she has talent (plays the guitar, writes all her own songs), the songs have melody and they're clean. And in terms of boy bands there are a few that have not been manufactured.

Now I am not saying this is particularly profound, and I doubt it is in Mr Daniels' music collection, but I thought I would post it anyway to show that there is some acceptable lightweight pop around. One Republic are essentially a boy band, but I think Ryan Tedder has a good grasp of melody and there are some instruments being played here. We see some sights of urban decay etc. but when I found the theme of the song I thought this made a refreshing change:

"This song is about being happy with what you have in life, and not obsessing over what you don't have. Whether it's a person or relationship, love, or success, or even fame."

A bit better example to the youngsters. Tedder is a Christian who is married.

If you found that appalling (his boy band voice perhaps!), try this, which you will probably find appealing. It's an instrumental ending to a track on their second album:

Gavin
Site Admin

Re: One Republic

Postby Gavin » 23 Nov 2014, 12:17

Gavin
Site Admin

Return to Music