Toby Keith

Introduce fellow users to some of your favourite music
About this forum
Disclaimer: Music posted in this section of the site doesn't mean we especially agree with its message (if there is one!).

Toby Keith

Postby Gavin » 28 May 2013, 11:52

I've waited for a long time to post this, but with a British solider just having beheaded in broad daylight on the streets of London I think I will now. We know how Toby Keith felt.

You can see the track described further at David's blog, where I have commented.
Gavin
Site Admin

Re: Toby Keith

Postby Gavin » 22 Jan 2015, 10:35

In our age of smug, postmodern cynicism and narcissism, most Brits would no doubt ridicule this track, but I admire the sense of duty and patriotism, and the complete disregard of moral relativism and multiculturalism. We could do with a lot more of this in the UK. Toby Keith was great when I saw him, with patriotic working class Americans, at a stadium in Tampa.

Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Nick J W » 22 Jan 2015, 12:52

Never trust a woman with eyebrows that 'perfect'. Sorry for that cynical note, otherwise I pretty much agree, in fact I find myself watching a lot of patriotic stuff on youtube these days. Watching ain't doing but I dare say some of it will rub off.
Nick J W

Postby Yessica » 22 Jan 2015, 15:32

Re: "Courtesy Of The Red, White, And Blue": Does anybody by the way happen to know if this is the real story of Toby Keith's father or just the protagonist of the song talking?
Yessica

Postby Gavin » 22 Jan 2015, 15:48

That song is Toby Keith talking - it's true about his father. As the Wikipedia article says:

"At first, Keith refused to record the song and only sang it live at his concerts for military personnel. The reaction was so strong that the Commandant of the Marine Corps James L. Jones told Keith it was his duty as an American citizen to record the song."
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Yessica » 23 Jan 2015, 12:46

What a moving story.

I am pretty proud of our (new, democratic) flag and part of this really resonates with me. When we celebrazed the 25th anniversary of the reunification I thought about what I privilege it is to live in a free country and I really wanted to say thank you to someone, to the heros of Leipzig and all my fellow citizens, but did not know how.

I don't agree with all David has to say though.

David wrote:Whereas Toby Keith’s America was about fireworks, shopping-malls, rodeos, megachurches and capitalism, the folk scene of radio RWB reminisced about a Britain of petticoats, tea-cosys, patterned wall-paper and WI meetings.

I don't think "shopping malls" are among the finest things our western culture has to offer or would like to listen to songs about them. I imagine this songs to be pretty boring though I never hear one and could be wrong... and what's wrong with tea-cozys and this traditional stuff? Just because it's old doesnT' mean it's bad. Why do we have to "reinvent" ourselves every two years nowadays? As for fireworks - we speak about honouring the troops here, don't we? I think you honour them best by not having a firework. I think that if there was a poll among soldiers "How do you want to be honoured?" fireworks would probably rank pretty low or in other words if you had a poll among soldiers if there should be fireworks the majority would say "no", because they really wouldn't like the idea - but then maybe I am totally wrong.
Yessica

Return to Music