The Streets of London

Introduce fellow users to some of your favourite music
About this forum
Disclaimer: Music posted in this section of the site doesn't mean we especially agree with its message (if there is one!).

The Streets of London

Postby Paul » 19 Sep 2014, 23:32

Kind of poignant.

I was 12 when this was produced. It was 1975. Winter, with soggy leaves everywhere on the ground. The song perfectly matched the mood of those times.

Ironically the song was also performed by Cat Stevens who later of course became a Muslim.

Paul

Re: The Streets of London

Postby Gavin » 20 Sep 2014, 08:54

Yes, I really like this song and Ralph McTell's performance of it. I've always liked it. My Dad used to perform it on his guitar too, with the same tone and enunciation. It really brings back memories.

The song teaches the message that there are always people worse off that oneself, thus directly combatting a self-pitying attitude to life. This, I think, is a positive thing to do.

It does this without being especially leftist towards its subject, too (these days many people are actually "homeless" by choice, there being many shelters if they would only use them).

Sadly I cannot imagine anything like this entering the charts days among the mindless, primitive, talentless and un-melodious trash than is generally preferred by our new generation of semi-British youngsters.

p.s. Check out the top comment on YouTube!
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Paul » 21 Sep 2014, 00:19

Yes Gavin I read the comments. Unfortunately they are dominated by apologists and liberal-lefties., with the odd realist shining through.

Great song yes. It says April 1975 here but I distinctly remember fallen leaves and wet, windy weather. Lancashire in April then!
Paul

Postby Kevin R » 21 Sep 2014, 16:20

I remember a few years ago when I lived in London, one particularly cold Autumnal evening at twilight I happened to emerge from the underground station at the Temple. Wandering out from the subterranea and across the road, I came across the large premesis of a corporate tobacco company. In front of it's portly and imposing façade was parked a soup-kitchen trailer, which was surrounded by a lugubriously shuffling mass of homeless. After receiving their soup and roll, a good many of them stood around chatting, their breath steaming in the cold evening air. I stood and watched for a few moments ( most homeless do not take kindly to being scrutinized for too long), and just over the tops of their heads I could see through the fashionably dark tinted windows of the piano-nobile into the warmly lit, plush reception area beyond. This revealed a reception scene of similar activity, albeit one with reversed polarity, as well-heeled male and female executives stood around in informal groups chatting idly, whilst canapés and wine were whisked around by handsome young flunkies in black shirts and trousers.

Thus is the Great Wen, as always.
Kevin R

Return to Music