Hello

Please feel free to introduce yourself
About this forum
This is a new section and up until a "reshuffle" in January 2013 users told a little about themselves in context in posts (often in their first posts), or above as they told how they heard of Dalrymple. Now though, if you would like to say a little more please feel free to start a thread with any title you like.

Hello

Postby Ben » 07 Sep 2013, 19:16

Good evening to all on the forum. Since stumbling across the site after some random Googling, I've been reading it avidly for a while now. It's been refreshing to see so many well thought through points made on topics that really matter - the standard of discussion here is definitely a cut above anywhere else.

I don't always agree with what I've read, but you've certainly made me think!

A little about myself - I'm an Englishman in his late 30s, married with two children, working for the NHS (in a non-clinical capacity)...and just find so many of the issues raised here resonate deeply.

Having read a bit of Dalrymple's work now, I get the same feeling others have mentioned about someone finally articulating thoughts I've had for a long time, but never been able to put into words.

Well done all for continuing the debate, and I look forward to many interesting discussions (and hopefully some ideas as to what we can actually do about all this!).
Ben

Re: Hello

Postby Gavin » 07 Sep 2013, 20:03

Hi Ben. Many thanks for joining us on this forum. I'm sure everyone would be interested to learn about your experiences inside the NHS (and indeed to hear your views on other matters!).
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 07 Sep 2013, 20:10

Welcome, Ben. It's always nice to see new members!

I was going to post a lengthy account of my NHS experience (that was actually the title, "My NHS experience") back in March after I'd been in hospital with gallbladder problems. It was a far from critical account; I've got nothing but praise and thanks for most of the people I encountered. But unfortunately the USB pendrive on which I was storing the text file suddenly died! So my account got lost... but I will hopefully post something about the whole experience in the near future.

In the meantime, like Gavin I look forward to reading your posts on... well, anything at all really. :)
Elliott

Postby Nathan » 07 Sep 2013, 20:33

Ben wrote:I don't always agree with what I've read,

That's refreshing to hear! I've long been saying that a place such as this with only a dozen or so contributors can easily grow stale if we keep agreeing with each other, so feel free to have your say on those topics in particular.
Nathan

Postby Ben » 07 Sep 2013, 22:18

Wow! Great to have a response so quickly.

The NHS is such a tricky one. The scandals in the media over the last few years are gut-wrenching - no human being could read about it and remain unaffected.

If I had to offer a 'simple answer' (there isn't one) - it'd be something along the lines of minimum staff-patient ratios, more accountability, and a real "back to basics" approach to care. In tandem with that, as a country we need to have a grown-up debate about the health service we want (and are prepared to pay for), and recognise that anything with a 'free at the point of use' doctrine is unlikely to be used wisely in all cases.

I'm not really qualified to comment on the specifics - my role is entirely non-clinical (project manager), but if you're interested in the subject, I can highly recommend Roy Lilley's blogs which you can sign up to at nhsmanagers.net

There are so many interesting topics on here - I'll have to get stuck into the individual forums - but the issues around feminism, multiculturalism and general 'PC' stuff are really interesting.
Ben

Postby Gavin » 07 Sep 2013, 22:59

Nathan wrote:I've long been saying that a place such as this with only a dozen or so contributors can easily grow stale if we keep agreeing with each other.

Then I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there ;) But not in principle - only to say that I think I have actually disagreed with a few people recently. Also, maybe we generally agree because we try to think very carefully before putting fingers to keyboard, and as a consequence we're actually right. Now I'm not leftish enough to regard this as a certainty, but it is a possibility. Perhaps our actually being right, along with insisting upon calm discourse, is what puts off potential opponents - or perhaps they would just never want to comment on a conservative-leaning forum anyway (perhaps they know that even reading it might blow their illusions).

Ben, yes, there is such a lot to say about the NHS, it seems to me. Why is it half-staffed by foreigners such that it would supposedly "collapse" if they left, while we have so many unemployed people (including medical graduates, I gather)? Why does it have so many useless bureaucrats and how can the government get rid of them? How can whistleblowers be protected from aforementioned bureaucrats firing them? Why has no-one gone to prison yet because of the disgraceful scandals? Should the NHS charge people for wasting their time on frivolous call-outs/casualty visits? A lot to discuss in that thread, time permitting (probably many other things I haven't mentioned, too).
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » 12 Sep 2013, 10:54

Gavin wrote: Perhaps our actually being right, along with insisting upon calm discourse, is what puts off potential opponents - or perhaps they would just never want to comment on a conservative-leaning forum anyway (perhaps they know that even reading it might blow their illusions).

Much as I enjoy imagining leftists tearing their hair out after being force-marched by our impeccable logic to conclusions which they abhor, I suspect that another reason is more likely - that our basic assumptions and perception of the world are so at variance, that the other side's arguments just make no sense.
Jonathan

Postby Ben » 12 Sep 2013, 20:58

Some interesting questions about the NHS, particularly the stuff about whether some (or all) services should be charged for, and how much one should pay at the point of use vs. how much should be funded from taxation or other sources.

The 'pointless bureaucrats' line is a bit misguided in some instances though. I'm not saying everyone there is doing an impeccable job (clearly not), but you're going to need quite a few people 'in the back office' when you have an organisation with over £100bn annual turnover, split provider and commissioner functions, a 'market', payment by results, etc etc.

Somebody has to do all that - and if you just take a basic option of "let's burn the bureaucrats!" without looking at the underlying system, you just end up with the doctors and nurses having to do it themselves and having less time to spend with patients.

I could go on forever about some of this stuff (it's an emotive topic, isn't it?) - but I'll go an find the right discussion thread rather than keep on about it here.
Ben

Return to Introductions