Hello everyone.

Please feel free to introduce yourself
About this forum
This is a new section and up until a "reshuffle" in January 2013 users told a little about themselves in context in posts (often in their first posts), or above as they told how they heard of Dalrymple. Now though, if you would like to say a little more please feel free to start a thread with any title you like.

Hello everyone.

Postby Kevin R » 29 Nov 2013, 14:40

As a new recruit to this fine forum, I'd just like to introduce myself - hope I've managed to post in the correct section..

I'm a painter, living and working in the ancient city of York. Like others here I gravitated to this site via the 'Skeptical Doctor', and I came across Dalrymple's writings via a recommendation in the Amazon book reviews, a route others here have also no doubt taken. The similarities with others here don't end there either, for I too have sustained an incremental 'sea-change' from a youth spent in the unquestioning amniotic fluid of student leftism shared by friends, to a position of increasing horror at the descent into deracination that the last four decades of cultural fragmentation and political tampering have increasingly inculcated. Reading the Doctor's timely words have only served to consolidate that observation - and actual observation it is that has been the bedrock of my changing position.

I have a deep interest in the history and consolidated historical culture of my homeland, and that of wider history and thought which my reading has led me in to, but I won't go into lists here, it will probably emerge when I can find the opportunities to post (which will hopefully be as regularly as I can).

Just to get into the swing of things, I've been familiarising myself with reading the topics hereabouts, and fascinating to read they are.. Moreover, I'd just like to say what a pleasure it has been thus far to read discussion which is mercifully free of the hubristic point-scoring and adversarial antagonism present in so much internet debate these days. Long may this isthmus of civility prosper..!
Kevin R

Re: Hello everyone.

Postby Gavin » 29 Nov 2013, 15:21

Thank you very much, Kevin, and welcome to this forum! It's nice to know that the difference here is immediately apparent. Very controversial matters are discussed, but always politely. We sometimes disagree too, but even then politely, and it's not a problem. Whereas the Left are often aghast (usually on behalf of other people) at "things you can't say", you can probably say them here and they'll just be calmly assessed on truth value. I think this site is awkward evidence for the Left that a civilised middle-right exists and that, though we are realistic, we are in fact a lot nicer than they often are.

I've been on here such a long time now I've pretty much expressed most of my concerns, and I've got a busy spell of work coming up (no bad thing!) so I am just keeping the Twitter running, but I am sure everyone will be interested in what you have to say.

By the way, what a great job and location - a painter in York! I too have been reading a lot of history. I have an ever-growing interest in it, since I was never taught it in school. Mind you I must confess that organised education has tended to kill subjects for me - I love learning them on my own..
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Kevin R » 29 Nov 2013, 17:17

Thank you for the welcome Gavin..

The assessment on truth value rather than mere prescriptivism is what finally encouraged me to join really. It's reflective of Dalrymple's approach in his writings I think..

I'll enjoy getting up to speed by reading the forums (and your posts!) as comprehensively as I can, and knowing me that means reading all of them, which means I also get to know something about the members who post as well, something of their stories. I've read a few interesting ones already, surprisingly..or perhaps (considering the circumstances of this forum) unsurprisingly.. similar to my own.

My interest in history does take a practical and profitable turn for my spare time, as I indulge a long held interest in visiting historic churches, country-houses, and the like.. usually with a Betjeman guide or somesuch in hand - hence my ending up living in York. However, what some probably might be surprised to learn is that York does have it's share of social problems and a seamier underbelly of life. This isn't usually made apparent to the tourist or visiting shopper who strolls the mainly pleasant environment of the medieval centre, but it is there nonetheless, and quite significant at times in the suburbs outside the charm of the inner walls. At night, on a weekend, increasingly the town is subject to the growing cult of anarchic drinking and carousing that blights all the surrounding larger cities. Drugs, random violence and petty crime are a growing problem, not in the league of elsewhere, but growing.. My original hometown is Hull (although I spent 13 years living in London), so I could write reams about the problems there, but I'm sure the good doctor could do that much better than I would!
Kevin R

Postby Gavin » 29 Nov 2013, 21:26

Yes, I guess it's prudent to have a read first. We have covered a fair few topics. As for anecdotes, I personally find them more convincing than statistics so will be interested to read any of those. I tend to use this place for three reasons:

• To see what other people have to say
  • To vent my frustration with PC and other corruption one observes on a daily basis
  • To try to promote the outstanding analysis and writing of TD

All the things you can't talk about at work, nor with extended family, you can probably discuss here. Other sites allow that, but they also allow inanity and vulgarity, so this one remains different.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » 30 Nov 2013, 22:46

Welcome to the forum, Kevin.

Kevin R wrote:I'll enjoy getting up to speed by reading the forums (and your posts!) as comprehensively as I can!

Didn't you say you were an artist...? You might want to leave the Modern Art thread for last :)
Jonathan

Postby Elliott » 30 Nov 2013, 22:50

Welcome to the forum, Kevin.

Jonathan, some of the most scathing comments in the "Modern Art" thread were written by me, and I am also an artist! (Or at least, I went to art college and spend a lot of my time making things :) .)
Elliott

Postby Gavin » 30 Nov 2013, 23:35

I also know several real artists beyond the forum who are particularly dismayed by the modern art phenomenon - after all, they see people like Tracey Emin made "Professor of Drawing" at the Royal Academy when she can't even draw.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Kevin R » 30 Nov 2013, 23:43

Thanks for the welcome Johnathan..

Yes, I've read the Modern Art thread already! Couldn't keep me away from it for long.

I'll post some thoughts anon when I get the opportunity..
Kevin R

Postby Kevin R » 30 Nov 2013, 23:56

Elliott..

Read your post about your experience at art-college.. The similarities to my own at Winchester were striking..

The formlessness of the teaching.. the lone educational directive merely to 'go forth and be cathartic'.. the neglect of pre-modernist study and appreciation.. the languid reliance on mangled postmodern theory..

I did three years on a painting degree, and when I left, I knew why Jeff Koons was obsessed with kitsch, but my knowledge of how to devise a better painting medium, and when not to use Alizarin red was left untouched..
Kevin R

Postby Mike » 01 Dec 2013, 00:24

Welcome to the forum, Kevin. Nice to be able to add "artist" to our wide collection of professions on this board!
Mike

Postby Elliott » 01 Dec 2013, 01:02

Kevin, when were you at art college? I was at Cumbria College of the Arts for one year (2000-2001) then Chelsea for three years (2002-2004).
Elliott

Postby Jonathan » 01 Dec 2013, 06:07

Elliott wrote:Jonathan, some of the most scathing comments in the "Modern Art" thread were written by me, and I am also an artist!

In that case, I suggest you avoid it as well :)
Jonathan

Postby Kevin R » 01 Dec 2013, 15:41

Elliott..

I did my foundation year at Hull college of art in 1986-7, then went on to do the degree at Winchester School of art 1987-1990. At Winchester we had a fair few visiting lecturers who also plied their wares at the prestigious London colleges, and a year after I arrived the head of painting (Clyde Hopkins) subsequently went on to be head of painting at Chelsea. I don't know how long he stayed at Chelsea though. I remember that It was just as the Goldsmiths conceptual mischief was emerging, and I recall one particularly virulent and sarcastic visiting lecturer scolding us in a 'crit' that we were unaware that we would be superceded by exciting new things were emerging from that particular crucible of horrors, and if we didn't get with it, then we'd be aesthetically redundant. Naturally, I was unconvinced by his propaganda.

Anyway, the degree was a waste of time in the main becasue everything I've subsequently learned in technical terms has been through my own researches. In my view, if one is determined to be a 'proper painter' these days, it's more efficacious to eschew art-school altogether and join a good painting forum!
Kevin R

Postby Kevin R » 01 Dec 2013, 15:43

Thanks for the welcome Mike.

I think I'll like it here..
Kevin R

Return to Introductions