From across the pond

Please feel free to introduce yourself
About this forum
This is a new section and up until a "reshuffle" in January 2013 users told a little about themselves in context in posts (often in their first posts), or above as they told how they heard of Dalrymple. Now though, if you would like to say a little more please feel free to start a thread with any title you like.

From across the pond

Postby Christina » 13 Jul 2014, 01:29

I am a retired RN living in Raleigh, North Carolina, do digital art and lots of volunteering of various sorts. I discovered Dalrymple in some of my conservative reading and couldn't put down "Spoilt Rotten"], "Not With a Bang but a Whimper", "Our Culture" and have another one lined up. When you fight despair over what you see around you all the time, it is like a lifeline to hear the truth said boldly.

I came across your site when doing a search to see if Dalrymple has a site of his own. Your posting requirements were delightfully refreshing! Full sentences, names capitalized, no ad hominem attacks - I would want to join a group just for those rules! But I expect to be "lurking" more than posting as apparently most are British here and some of the topics don't arise across the pond. (However, I was brought up a true Anglophile by a historian father who had me learn more about British history and literature than American, so I am interested in what happens there.)

Dalrymple's books have clarified so many things for me that I sensed but hadn't put into coherent thought. I am anxious to read the posts of others who may have had the same experience.

Christina Brundage
Christina

Re: From across the pond

Postby Elliott » 13 Jul 2014, 16:37

Welcome to the forum, Christina. There are other Americans here and, even if there weren't, I'm sure we're all interested in reading about your experiences.

PS. You should also read Life at the Bottom, which IMHO is as good as Our Culture. :)
Elliott

Re: From across the pond

Postby Christina » 13 Jul 2014, 16:51

Thanks, Elliott. So much of what Dalrymple describes applies here too but perhaps mainly in the big cities. Where I live now is very family-friendly, not much crime, very church-going. Where I lived before - St. Petersburg, Florida - was awful. I lived in an apartment complex with a prostitute in the apartment below whose boyfriend (pimp?) beat her up and where two teenage boys were sexually assaulted in broad daylight after they got off the school bus. I avoided taking walks there even in the daytime, whereas here I take long walks on a greenway along the Neuse River. I'm sure you have the same situation there, of bad areas and ones that are quite livable. But sadly, the bad areas seem to be growing here. And in the 6 years I have lived in this apartment complex, I have seen a subtle change in the type of people living here.

I'm sure I will get around to that book of Dalrymple's - I plan to read all of them!
Christina

Return to Introductions