Hi there

Please feel free to introduce yourself
About this forum
This is a new section and up until a "reshuffle" in January 2013 users told a little about themselves in context in posts (often in their first posts), or above as they told how they heard of Dalrymple. Now though, if you would like to say a little more please feel free to start a thread with any title you like.

Hi there

Postby Alfred M » 12 Sep 2014, 07:21

Hello there. My name is Alfred M, and I thought I might introduce myself.

I am a young person, who is about to enter college. I live on the West Coast of the United States, and have been interested in politics since as long as I can remember. I generally like to consider myself a reasonably intelligent person, though when it comes to knowing some of the intellectual and artistic foundations of western society, I am sorely lacking (For instance, I have read little of Shakespeare, and my knowledge of Christianity is minimal.)

I am generally a right wing person, though my views on the USSR and historical Marxism differ quite a bit from most other right wing people I know, as I had relatives who came from that old left wing power (In that case, you can figure out that "Alfred" is not my real name). I have always been into some type of right wing philosophy as long as I can remember, whether it was mainstream American conservatism, the pseudo left wing "reform" conservatism, or even a soft libertarianism at one point.

I first heard about Theodore Dalrymple via Taki's magazine.Honestly, I have not read very much of Dalrymple's work, but from what I have read from his writings in City Journal, or Taki's magazine, I seem to agree with a lot of what he says.

Hopefully, other people here can point me in the right direction when it comes to reading more of Dalrymple's work.
Alfred M

Re: Hi there

Postby Mike » 13 Sep 2014, 01:55

Welcome to the forum, Alfred.

TD's pieces on City Journal are certainly the place to start if you want a broad sweep of his political and social views. The earlier pieces (from the late nineties) tend to deal with his period working in a British prison hospital, while the more recent ones are in the "general comment" category.

He has written a number of superb books, too - two I can heartily recommend are the autobiographical Fool or Physician, and his travelogue of the communist world, The Wilder Shores of Marx.

Postby Jonathan » 13 Sep 2014, 17:17

Welcome, Alfred.

I second Mike's recommendations, but I must add 'Life at the Bottom' and 'Our Culture, What's Left of it' - the former for pretty much every article it contains, and the latter for several ones at the end - 'When Islam Breaks Down' and 'The Barbarians at the Gates of Paris' in particular. Admittedly, the latter two should be available on City Journal, if you can find them.

Postby Nathan » 13 Sep 2014, 17:39

The Skeptical Doctor too has a vast amount of TD writings available - a lot of it I probably haven't read myself!

Return to Introductions