Instances of political incorrectitude

Life's not all bleak! Make us laugh
About this forum
Please keep the humour in good taste (hopefully you can find some good taste humour these days). In January 2013 threads were split up into sub-topics, which explains the unusually high views that some (original) threads have. This forum is "read only" for members until they're well established.

Instances of political incorrectitude

Postby Elliott » 11 Nov 2012, 06:27

I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we cite amusing examples of political incorrectness. Here's my first contribution:

Elliott

Re: Instances of political incorrectitude

Postby Gavin » 11 Nov 2012, 13:09

You probably wouldn't be allowed to make this now! ;)

Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 25 Nov 2012, 16:55

Elliott

Postby Rachel » 27 Nov 2012, 01:05

One of my favourite unPC comedies is Alf Garnet. (In Sickness and in Health and Till Death do Us Part.)

This is one of many favourite scenes in the series. I'm Jewish and yet always liked this scene and found it funny.

Unfortunatly I wanted to post another favourite scene on skin colour with "Marigold" the black effeminate character they introduced later in the series but can not find it youtube. So we'll just have to have this. I loved the way the series managed to insult everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWKy4RHf5tQ

Rachel

Postby Connor » 29 Nov 2012, 01:58

Classic commercial from the 1970's. There's no way it could be made today.

You can hear the objections now: "How dare you imply that the Chinese are skilled at laundry!?"
Connor

Postby Elliott » 02 Dec 2012, 05:06

The image above (in case you can't see it) shows Brendan O'Neill at a shooting range in Las Vegas. The target he has been shooting at is a poster of Osama bin Laden. This is something that would never happen in Britain - it would qualify as race hate incitement nastiness etc. and some leftist would call the police.
Elliott

Postby Gavin » 02 Dec 2012, 14:07

I can well understand them wanting to shoot at a person who managed (I think "masterminded" is too high a term) the murder of over 2000 people. Nice bit of political incorrectitude there. I agree with you about how this would be treated by the Left in the UK: a great opportunity to indulge a grievance and jump to the defence of somebody who doesn't need or deserve defending.

Another thing you often see in the United States, perhaps particularly in the south, is sights like this:

I saw a lot like this in Florida and I thought it was great - a show unity in that country and of support for its principles. Many Americans have been amazed when I told them that this is not done in the UK and if a person were to adorn their house thus (with the Union Flag) they would be regarded as either twee or, more likely, as racist. They were amazed, but that's how it is here now.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 02 Dec 2012, 14:11

p.s. Brendan O'Neill should tuck his shirt in! ;)
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 16 Dec 2012, 12:53

IMAG1980.jpg
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Michael » 17 Dec 2012, 20:54

This whole article: 6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You A Better Person

And this even better article linked to from the first article, which goes more in depth into the same concepts: Hipsters on Food Stamps

The latter article (in two parts) I think is just brilliant. I would post it to Facebook but I have too many friends in grad school :-)
Michael

Postby Andreas » 19 Dec 2012, 17:24

I couldn't help noticing that the young woman with a medieval history Ph.D. in the "Hipsters on Food Stamps" article has a tattoo.

http://chronicle.com/article/From-Gradu ... to/131795/
Andreas

Return to Comedy