Harry Enfield

Life's not all bleak! Make us laugh
About this forum
Please keep the humour in good taste (hopefully you can find some good taste humour these days). In January 2013 threads were split up into sub-topics, which explains the unusually high views that some (original) threads have. This forum is "read only" for members until they're well established.

Harry Enfield

Postby Gavin » 05 Apr 2012, 12:35

When we refer to famous people by their surnames it often reminds me of this most amusing sketch by Harry Enfield. He was a great perceiver of "types" of people in the days before PC took over and vulgar (Russell Brand) humour and cruel (Ricky Gervias) humour became so popular:

Gavin
Site Admin

Re: Harry Enfield

Postby Gavin » 05 Apr 2012, 12:42

Another great one!

Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 05 Apr 2012, 15:55

That's a great one, Gavin. "I'm afraid I saw you coming" was hilarious.

Here's another good one from Enfield...

Elliott

Postby Gavin » 05 Apr 2012, 16:52

Yes, the 50s newsreels are brilliant! There are a few more "I Saw You Coming"s on YouTube as well - just a funny. He really had a knack of picking out these types, much better than Gervais in my view. I think Gervais is a really nasty piece of work, this new series he has coming up looking especially horrible.

Back to quality stuff, the majority of Enfield's characters were funny, I think, including Jurgen:

And this one:

Very funny!

It's interesting and scary to consider isn't it? Sketches like Jurgen would now be considered xenophobic, offensive etc. etc. And yet we can have utter vulgarity, F words etc, and outright cruel humour (e.g. that loathsome Frankie Boyle) and this is acceptable. This is true PC in action - this is what PC is.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 10 Apr 2012, 15:13

Some time ago I mentioned that while the men are often friendly, Polish women working in the UK often come across as distinctly clipped and cold. Continuing with Mr Enfield, it appears I'm not the only one to have noticed this!

Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 14 Dec 2014, 13:10

Gavin
Site Admin

Return to Comedy