Funny attempts at English

Life's not all bleak! Make us laugh
About this forum
Please keep the humour in good taste (hopefully you can find some good taste humour these days). In January 2013 threads were split up into sub-topics, which explains the unusually high views that some (original) threads have. This forum is "read only" for members until they're well established.

Funny attempts at English

Postby Gavin » 04 Jul 2013, 11:29

Attempts by Asians in particular at English are often very amusing, resulting in "Engrish", "Japlish" or "Chinglish" (see a whole site devoted to Engrish!).

Oops, was that un-PC? Did I "offend" someone, or someone with nothing better to do, on someone else's behalf? Lefties, get a life: my Japanese friends used to laugh about this as well.

I'm usually Mac-based but I got a remote control for a PC the other day. Great example of Chinglish on the back - click and zoom to read!

chinglish.jpg

I suppose the reason this is funny whereas the general degradation of English with ebonics etc. isn't, is that these people are in a completely alien culture and are living there, so cannot really be expected to get a good grip on English. It's funny that they don't really bother, too. That's not the case when the mistakes are made by those who are living in your country (and have done, in some cases, for generations). Also, I suppose, it is permitted to laugh at mistakes by Asian people (and, of course, white people) but certainly not those by black people.
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to Comedy