Agatha Christie

Chat about anything else on your mind
About this forum
n.b. This forum is "read only" for members until they're well established.

Agatha Christie

Postby Mike » 21 May 2012, 09:47

Anyone else here a fan? I grew up with her books and still read them (or, more often, re-read them) with great pleasure these days. It's odd to say this about books that often feature brutal murders, but there's something curiously comforting about them - perhaps it's the fact that they often depict a lost world in which courtesy, reticence and respect were the rule rather than the exception, perhaps it's the wry observations and nuggets of modest wisdom that pepper the narrative, but I find them a joy to get absorbed in.

Some lesser-known novels of hers that I can thoroughly recommend:

Taken at the Flood
Five Little Pigs
The Moving Finger

And the superb Curtain, a brilliant reworking of the themes of Shakespeare's Othello.
Mike

Re: Agatha Christie

Postby Gavin » 17 Mar 2013, 01:22

Mike, replying just over a year later, I should say I'm a fan! For exactly the reasons you cite. Also I think her plotting is ingenious. The books are puzzles, really. It can be quite hard to keep up at the denouement.

I've heard some liberals and progressives having a go at Agatha Christie (the best-selling novelist of all time). They probably think she's "racist" or something. In fact she was very well travelled and knew a good deal of other cultures.

One doesn't really read her books for deep character studies or realism anyway. They're entertainment, and I think they do it well. Personally I would rather read Christie than Rowling any day.

(I will look out for the titles you recommended.)
Gavin
Site Admin

Re: Agatha Christie

Postby Elliott » 17 Mar 2013, 01:53

I have always loved this theme tune:
Elliott

Return to Other