Ashes Cricket

Chat about anything else on your mind
About this forum
n.b. This forum is "read only" for members until they're well established.

Re: Ashes Cricket

Postby Charlie » 12 Jul 2013, 07:35

Mike wrote:What an astonishing session of test cricket that was. Ashton Agar - who would have thought?

It was remarkable stuff!

I particularly liked how someone here described it: "Those crafty Australians! Reversing their batting order!"
Charlie

Postby Grant » 12 Jul 2013, 08:01

The future of test cricket seems bright if we can have more days like the previous two. The drama, surprises and artistry make all other versions of the game seem tedious. Without the startling performance of Ashton Agar we Aussies would have been staring at a comprehensive defeat. The stage is set for another thrilling day (or night, depending on where you live). The cricket tragics around the nation were easy to spot today - they were the ones with their eyes hanging out and bumping into things in their sleep-deprived state. May the audacious spirit of yesterday roll through the entire match!
Grant

Postby Paul » 12 Jul 2013, 08:15

A brilliant two days thus far. What a marvellous game it is. There is no higher activity that man has devised. Even God has taken up the game.

There are always records to be broken and so the young chap has. The entire world of cricket must have been willing him on to a hundred but it can be a cruel world. Excellent though. I don't think we'll see him bat at No 11 again.

Blowers is in fine mid-season form too, on TMS.
Paul

Postby Mike » 12 Jul 2013, 08:20

Grant wrote:The future of test cricket seems bright if we can have more days like the previous two. The drama, surprises and artistry make all other versions of the game seem tedious.

Couldn't agree more. One-day cricket makes me feel like scratching my eyes out these days, and as for 20-20...it's cricket's exact equivalent of bubble-gum.
Mike

Postby Grant » 12 Jul 2013, 09:03

Paul, depending on the game's result, we'll get to know God's country of origin! I'm sure if Shakespeare were alive he'd pen some appropriate lines to describe the game's majesty. I can''t think of another game that produces the same subtlety, charm and elegance.
Grant

Postby Paul » 14 Jul 2013, 11:11

Grant - as long as we agree that God isn't a Yorkshireman we should be ok.

That great Lancastrian, Jimmy Anderson, has prised open the Australians. Two wicket maidens on the trot. I enjoyed the fact he went past Fred Trueman for test wickets the other day.

Two hundred and eleven for eight now.
Paul

Postby Grant » 14 Jul 2013, 13:12

Twenty to win or a wicket to win! It doesn't get any better!
Grant

Postby Grant » 14 Jul 2013, 13:24

Paul,
Congratulations to your countrymen on a wonderful win! God certainly is an Englishman, even if he's not from Yorkshire.
I can't wait for Thursday!
Grant

Postby Nathan » 14 Jul 2013, 13:36

Wow, what a game! I was hoping Australia would get really close and make it even more tense, but we can't have everything. Maybe the next six months will be closer than we thought.
Nathan

Postby Mike » 15 Jul 2013, 04:43

Pity to lose it like that, but still, what a great match. Terrific advertisement for test cricket.
Mike

Postby Paul » 15 Jul 2013, 08:02

Thanks to the Australians for their gracious comments, including Michael Clarke who gave a very good post-match interview I think. This is going to be a very good series contest as usual.

Anderson is brilliant. He might well be the first (and last) non-spinning Englishman to take 400 test wickets, joining the other seven players with that distinction.

Thursday at Lords - yes, and the weather forecast is set fine.
Paul

Postby Grant » 15 Jul 2013, 08:21

"Magic" is a term thrown around with abandon but this continuing battle between the Mother country and her off-spring is capable of creating thus. The intensity and desire to win can't be bought or manufactured. We mere onlookers can only jealously stand by, observing those flannelled figures seizing the moment and creating memories to last them the rest of their lives. It is the dream of most red-blooded men to say they represented their country in this most cherished of battles. To use the quote from Henry V "They shall think themselves accursed they were not here, And hold their manhoods cheap...... "
Grant

Postby Nathan » 20 Jul 2013, 19:13

More of a massacre than a battle in the Second Test though! As somebody who saw my side lose every Ashes series for my first 15 years following cricket I can't say I'm not enjoying England being 500+ runs ahead this time round and Australia playing so badly, but we do have eight more Tests after this one, so let's hope it at least stays a proper contest!
Nathan

Postby Grant » 21 Jul 2013, 02:08

Nathan, describing this game as one-sided would be an understatement. I think the kindest thing that could be done for my countrymen is cremate the current lot and deposit the remains in a larger, newer urn. It could serve as a warning for all cricketers who shun technique and discipline, and chase the IPL millions. 20-20 cricket has as much in common with test cricket as having a bath does with swimming the English Channel. I'm glad to know you're enjoying the massacre. From this side of the globe, it hasn't been pretty to watch!
Grant

Postby Nathan » 03 Aug 2013, 17:41

Good to have a delicately-poised Test match, even if England are getting outplayed. One of the quirks I like about cricket in its longer forms is that there is so much more to winning the game than simply being the best team, with the rain and time factors having their say in the outcome.

England aren't going to win the game, but with any luck we might come down to one of my favourite cricketing scenarios to still win the Ashes: last few overs of the fifth day, England nine wickets down with the tailenders in bat and with no hope of getting the runs...block, block, block....
Nathan

PreviousNext

Return to Other