Ashes Cricket

Chat about anything else on your mind
About this forum
n.b. This forum is "read only" for members until they're well established.

Re: Ashes Cricket

Postby Grant » 04 Aug 2013, 11:11

Nathan, your boys are now in the nuisance phase. We'd love to get them out and mostly everything has failed. If they stay much longer the prospect of a tantalising finish fades. I'm pleased my maudlin assessment of the Aussies of two weeks prior was slightly premature. The Ashes look safe in your hands, though.
Grant

Postby Nathan » 11 Aug 2013, 13:34

The Ashes certainly are safe in our hands for a while longer, but this has to be one of the lowest-quality and least exciting series in a while, bar the first Test. Our top order aren't doing their job and the edge has completely gone out of this series as a contest!
Nathan

Postby Nathan » 25 Aug 2013, 19:20

An exciting run chase there to finish the series off, though a shame the light couldn't hold on long enough to see the match out. I suppose 4-0 to England would have been much too flattering a scoreline for us anyway. Imagine the boos around the ground if that run chase had been to win the Ashes and the umpires had still taken the teams off!

I saw one thing today that alarmed me a little - I went to watch my local cricket side play for a couple of hours in the afternoon, and instead of showing live Ashes action from the last day of the most comprehensive England series win for many, many years the TV in the bar was showing an unimportant second-tier football match instead :(
Nathan

Postby Grant » 26 Aug 2013, 08:00

I've seen enough from this side of the planet to feel slightly confident about the next phase of battle down here. The pitches prepared in the UK suited your team and a similar state of affairs will be in order here. Perth has always been fast-paced and I've a feeling Melbourne and Sydney will have have some added spice. As Steve Waugh called it, some 'chin music' will be played. Having lost his first Ashes series (and hopefully his last), Michael Clarke will demand the best from his team with a home ground advantage to swing things our way. Luck, as always, has played a part in this series and I've a feeling Lady Fortune is due to turn this way. Regardless of the result, there is nothing to match an Ashes series for interest, tension and skill. Looking forward to October!
Grant

Postby Paul » 26 Aug 2013, 08:22

That was a farcical situation yesterday - ending the game with just four overs to bowl. Once again, cricket shoots itself in the foot with pernickity regulations overcoming common sense. Both captains would have continued I would like to think. Certainly England would have continued batting and, if the regulation hadn't been tinkered with by the ICC, it would have been the batsmen's call.

Having said all that, I've done quite a bit of umpiring in my time (maybe 100 matches) and it's always a difficult moment taking a side off for bad light or rain. One side will be ok with it yet the other side will not. That's league cricket though, where the players are unpaid amateurs and have only turned up to play, not sit in a damp dressing room.

The problem for umpires is the possibility of injury to a player, where playing conditions might not be ideal. If this was the case, we umpires have all been warned we could be liable in law! I do not believe however this would be as pertinent to the professional game.

As regards after the match in the clubhouse, then yes, all they seem to be interested in is the football on TV. You might get a bit of the current test match showing, but if there's any possibility of a glimmer of Manchester Utd et al, then the cricket comes a poor second. It exasperates me no end.

I was also told (and held a somewhat popular belief) by older umpires and on the umpire training course that players like a chat (with the umpires) in the clubhouse after the match, discussing points of the game and decisions and dismissals. I did wonder about this because I never saw too much of it myself when I played. Having said that I played in quite a number of 2nd XI matches where we didn't get an umpire, let alone two. This partly prompted me to take up umpiring - in the early 2000s there was a serious shortage in the league I played in.

Anyway, the claim is a myth. Players don't want to talk about the game. They want to watch football on the TV. In addition, the umpire is a foe, to be viewed suspiciously, even if one is on the winning side. And players never forget a bad decision, or what they think is bad decision, even if it happened years ago! I like to think that in a more genteel past, all of this wouldn't have been the case.

It's not all bad of course. Some of it has been very enjoyable. I did once have to intervene and prevent imminent violence to a young (Asian) batsman, by an aggressive fielder. On another occasion I reported an entire team for dissent. It's sometimes a thankless task ...... but I keep going back!

Has anyone else done any cricket umpiring?

Finally, has anyone (in the UK) seen the Yorkshire Tea advertisements on TV? I've only seen one (I think there's ten) on TV but have caught a few more on YT. Here's the best one - all about cake!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_5XbxP4 ... rJ1p7lyv7q

Cricket teas - it's a deeply cultural thing!
Paul

Postby Nathan » 20 Nov 2013, 22:53

Time to dust off this thread, not that it's had much time (enough time) to gather dust in the first place. Ashes Tests down under happen at about the worst time of day possible for me to actively follow them, but I hope to do my customary all-nighter at least once this series.

(I remember watching the cricket at the Walkabout pub in Shepherd's Bush - the only place in London showing the cricket all night long - three years ago, but they only had a licence to serve alcohol until midnight, meaning that the pub had a dozen or so bleary-eyed cricket fans drinking espressos to try and stay awake. I did make it through to close of play at around 7.30am or so, but then afterwards the oddness of effectively doing my morning commute in reverse didn't exactly help my feelings of hallucination after drinking so much caffeine!)

I'm expecting a much stronger test this time round, so hopefully lots of close matches, but let's hope it doesn't start off as ominously the way this particular series did :o

Nathan

Postby Mike » 20 Nov 2013, 23:44

It will be closer than last time, for sure, but I still think you folks go into it as favourites. The Australian press seem to have a great deal more faith in the second coming of Mitchell Johnson than I do. We are still short of a top-line spinner as well; Nathan Lyon is an honest toiler but he's not going to turn a match like Swann can.
Mike

Postby Grant » 21 Nov 2013, 10:42

I think my optimism of August has quickly evaporated, having been dealt a "Broadside" by some excellent attacking bowling. It will be interesting to see how the English bastmen fare on bouncier pitches but Day 1 certainly has gone to the Ashes holders.
Grant

Postby Grant » 25 Nov 2013, 07:36

Forgive the triumphalism but watching Ashes cricket has again a delicious frisson. That's why these matches captivate entire countries as we battle it out for bragging rights. It may be a long summer for English cricketers who've been insulated from cricket's vagaries on lifeless English pitches on which any Indian would feel at home. I must apologise for Michael Clarke's boorish comments to James Anderson. Captains of either country must be capable of better.
Grant

Postby Mike » 25 Nov 2013, 11:46

I have a friend (a very good cricketer) with personal knowledge of Michael Clarke, and from my friend's description of him, such comments would seem in keeping with his character. We haven't really had a captain of the gentleman variety since Mark Taylor.

A good start to the series though. With Trott now heading home and the rest of the English top order (Cook excepted) looking in doubtful form, the Australian team will be full of confidence. I may have to eat my words about Mitchell Johnson!
Mike

Postby Grant » 07 Dec 2013, 08:05

What a brilliant day of attacking fast bowling! The Barmy Army was strangely quiet as Mitchell Johnson tore through some spooked batsmen's defences. We Australians may have to thank the Army for providing Johnson with the spur to come back faster than ever. They say he who laughs last........
Playing other cricketing nations is interesting but nothing comes close to the life and death struggle that is Ashes cricket. Long may it continue.
Grant

Postby Mike » 07 Dec 2013, 08:57

I think whatever doubts or demons were plaguing Jonathan Trott seem to have communicated themselves to the whole team. Carberry actually played very well, I thought (as did Bell of course), but the others...well, the scorecard tells it all.
Mike

Postby Nathan » 07 Dec 2013, 19:29

I have hardly actually seen any of it, but it's been a painful last few mornings waking up just before close of play to see the scores! It has brought back uncomfortable memories of the 2006-07 series, with an Aussie team extra fired up to avenge their recent loss, and an England team going in overconfident and being found out.

It's how so much of cricket is in the mind that interests me. There aren't many sports where after two matches of a five-match series one team can be 2-0 up with talk of a whitewash and the opposition being demoralised, and then just a few short months later with the teams not really changed that much the boot can be entirely on the other foot.
Nathan

Postby Grant » 17 Dec 2013, 08:59

The planets are re-aligned. Normal service has been resumed!
(Sorry about the tone of triumphalism.)
Grant

Postby Nathan » 17 Dec 2013, 18:39

Hmm, it won't be much of a merry Christmas in the England camp this year, that's for sure. Even with the much shorter tours these days, there must still be more than enough time for rifts to develop within the squad if things are not going your way.

As for my question of what has actually made such a big difference between the home series and this one, I've found this to be right on the money. This all brings back horrible 2006-07 flashbacks, but surely we can't have become such a bad team and yours such a good team so suddenly that we'll lose all five again, can we?!
Nathan

PreviousNext

Return to Other