Ashes Cricket

Chat about anything else on your mind
About this forum
n.b. This forum is "read only" for members until they're well established.

Re: Ashes Cricket

Postby Grant » 18 Dec 2013, 08:35

Nathan, two of England's wins during your summer were narrow ones and could have gone either way. I believe the preparation of the English pitches may have helped your team over there but lulled your boys into a false sense of security when asked to take on bowlers of Johnson's pace on faster Australian pitches. The biggest head-scratcher for me has been the strange approach of Kevin Pietersen. As we know, he can win a game single-handedly but has appeared disinterested or out of sorts. When he is dismissed cheaply I know the slide is on. When he fires, so does the rest of the line up.
Grant

Postby Mike » 18 Dec 2013, 11:55

Kevin Pietersen reminds me a lot of Mark Waugh - a prodigiously talented batsman who only "turns it on" when he feels in the mood, and otherwise treats the game quite casually, irrespective of the needs of the team. Almost everyone who knew the Waugh twins when they were younger thought that Mark was by far the more talented of the two, but that Steve worked a lot harder at the game...and we know which of the two eventually bagged all the plaudits.
Mike

Postby Nathan » 04 Jan 2014, 01:12

I thought I'd stay up as late as I could to watch the cricket, given that it's the weekend and the last Test, but at 41-5 I'm beginning to wonder if that was really a bright idea!

As fascinating as it is to see how our two rookie batsmen Stokes and Ballance deal with the pressure of the situation, and as exciting as cricket is when you think any ball could likely be a potential game-changing wicket, it's very disappointing to see another England batting fail. At least when we used to get thrashed in the Ashes 10-15 years ago we knew we could take comfort in the fact that we were playing against the Dream Team.
Nathan

Postby Grant » 04 Jan 2014, 07:56

I suppose the greatest shame about this series has been the absence of a contest. While I'm pleased to see a resurgent Australia I thought England would have shown more spine. The reluctance or inability of many players on both sides to build an innings has been another telling factor. To think we're only at the end of the second day of this test and 24 wickets have fallen may be an indictment of the influence of one day and T20 cricket. (Both of these variations leave me cold!) Geoffrey Boycott had many detractors but someone of his ilk is needed in the English ranks to show others how to not sell their wicket cheaply and thus wear down the Australian bowlers.
The impact of Mitchell Johnson has been cited by many as the defining factor of the series but without Brad Haddin the results could have been quite different. He has been the player of the series.
Grant

Previous

Return to Other