Moribund?

Chat about anything else on your mind
About this forum
n.b. This forum is "read only" for members until they're well established.

Moribund?

Postby Kevin R » 26 May 2015, 00:09

I've been seeing less and less posts on this forum recently..

Has everyone given up on it?

I hope not.. It's an isthmus of sanity.
Kevin R

Re: Moribund?

Postby Amalthea » 26 May 2015, 20:06

I don't post here, Kevin, but this forum is my oasis and I have been worried at the seemingly sudden disappearance of new posts. I hope all is well with everyone.
Amalthea

Postby Kevin R » 26 May 2015, 23:46

Amalthea,

Hello there, nice to meet you (electronically!).

I'm sure if you have a sympathy for the philosophy of the forum then I for one would like to hear postings from you. Always good to read the thoughts of another mind .I don't post much myself, at least as much as I would like to, but I will try and rectify that .

I wonder if Gavin has been too busy, or given up due to the paucity of responses lately? I hope not..

Are you there Gavin? Speak to us!
Kevin R

Postby Yessica » 27 May 2015, 08:25

Amalthea,

nice to meet you.

Kevin,

I don't post much anymore because raising two little ones I don't have enough time but I still read here from time to time. Like you I wondered why nobody posts anymore.
Yessica

Postby Mike » 27 May 2015, 09:35

I still drop in occasionally, but not with any expectations of activity. Things have been slowing down here for a fair while.

Perhaps it's inevitable on a discussion board where the participants basically agree on most things!
Mike

Postby Kevin R » 27 May 2015, 16:41

Hmm.. well I'm not with Wittgenstein on this one.. 'The rest is silence'.

Wrangling debate for it's own sake on other forums is what I find draining, but you're all < ahem > free to disagree with that one
Kevin R

Postby Andrea » 27 May 2015, 16:55

Labour didn't get in, so crisis temporarily averted - hence (probably? maybe?) the reason for few forum posts. Hi, by the way! :)
Andrea

Postby Nick J W » 28 May 2015, 06:35

For my part, it largely the twitter feed (if that's what you call it), it's really very interesting... and really I don't feel I have that much to add, not of the quality typical of this forum anyway. Beyond that I am rather busy.
Nick J W

Postby Gavin » 28 May 2015, 09:14

Hi everyone! Yes, I think it's a combination of things.

• A forum will only be busy if lots of people choose to post!
  • This forum enforces standards of decency and requires cogent posts, no trolling, so this probably discourages many.
  • We have covered a great many subjects now.
  • Many of the things we have covered have now received more popular attention that they previously did and seem established (routine leftsim of the BBC, threat of Islam).
  • As Andrea says, there was the serious threat of a Left wing government in the UK. I campaigned hard on the Twitter to help in a small way to avert this potential crisis. Now the Tories are in power, we have an “ok” result as David at DTMW put it. Let’s "just wait and see".
  • We are all busy with our lives and work, no doubt.
  • I am still slightly reluctant to have the forum so closely related to TD, especially when doing the tweets. I try to keep them much in the spirit we would all (and TD) would agree with, but feel I shouldn’t be too opinionated. Still thinking of renaming or re-theming the forum maybe when I have some time off work.
  • There is some fatigue too. Sometimes you want a rest from the behaviour of Muslims and all the other threats (cultural collapse etc.!).
  • I am not personally confronted with many incidents of vulgarity etc. these days, simply because I don’t go out among the public very often. I am living in Windsor, which being a royal borough is relatively nice, and I don’t go into Slough. Unlike typical left-liberals, I’m under no illusions about the state of the rest of the UK, the colonisation etc. and our underclass, but I am not experiencing it first hand very much at the moment.

The Twitter feed is still set to auto-tweet TD related stuff, and the person who runs “Dose of Dalrymple” (whoever that is!) seems to have time enough to post articles on TD’s back catalogue. Clinton and Steve at Skeptical Doctor don’t seem to have a lot of time. I am not doing many tweets at the moment for reasons above. It’s good to know that there are people who have enjoyed reading the forum though!

Another thing I should say is that Elliott used to contribute a lot from the very beginning but now runs his own YouTube channel. I think a lot of posts used to be in reply to Elliott’s thoughts, and now that he doesn’t post any more that slowed the forum down a lot too.

Anyway, it is still operational so if anyone wishes to post, please do so.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Kevin R » 01 Jun 2015, 00:34

As regards that last point you made Gavin, and your other comment about living in Windsor - A while ago I did consider writing a thread on the forum (in a kind of roving journalistic form), which would describe the singularities encountered on my ambulant experiences about the city I live in (York), and other places I visit. In effect, as a kind of condensed reportage or even 'mis--en-scene' of typical life in England long after the A-bomb of deracination has been dropped. Partly, this would be to counter some of the common assumptions visitors have that living in such a historical and architecturally attractive place is far superior to the dystopia that scars much of our more prosaic towns and cities.

However, I was somewhat hesitant - less it would be deemed too macabre a pastime by the readers hereabouts - to recount the deviances, horrors and preposterous inversions that can litter everyday experience in the streets, shops and public places.

Perhaps such a casual and on-going catharsis would be too passé now that they've long since been anatomised on the forum?!
Kevin R

Postby Gavin » 01 Jun 2015, 10:12

I gain great pleasure (perhaps I should say "solace") from writing about unpleasant things I have had to encounter, Kevin. As readers might know, I lived up close and personal among the underclass for more than two years, and prior to that I lived near Tooting, which has now been largely colonised by people of third world culture. There are many anecdotes of these times on the forum.

The way I see it is that to write about these things is both immediately cathartic and serves the larger purposes of both informing others of reality and making a last stand for decency. It’s journalism, really, but un-PC journalism. It’s telling the truth about what one encounters as a civilised person in Britain today - it’s what Dalrymple himself does so well.

So I would urge everyone to feel free to do that on this forum - it has great value.

I still find that I can barely be among the British public for a single outing without seeing seeing evidence of narcissism, depravity and tattoos and hearing F-words and inane conversation - and that is indeed in Windsor. I often say to my wife that if it’s like that here then pretty much the whole UK has gone now, really. You say things to yourself like “Oh, all the decent people are at home - they don’t come out at weekends”. You try things like that, but you hardly ever see a kind-faced, civilised person these days, anywhere, it seems. Everyone seems to be so common and vulgar. Or left-inclined liberals who excuse the decline they must see around them. So bring on any anecdotes, sure.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Lindsey » 01 Jun 2015, 12:25

I still visit often largely to read the twitter feed! I think over the past year or so, ive been in the process of changing my opinions (read admitting to myself) that I am burned out with tattooing and the many frightening stories I can conjure at the drop of a hat aught to provoke serious worry about what the next generation is going to look like. I have twice tried to sell my shop this year, unfortunately I'm left in a very difficult position of actually hating the work I do , but having all my finances and income tied up in it. I am selling more art lately and have taken on a commission to illustrate a book about traditional survival techniques in England, including long forgotten fishing techniques (hawthorn flounder lines for example) it's nice to feel I'm actually preserving knowledge for a change and hopefully I can make a transition into something more beneficial to society. I used to enjoy tattoos and tattooing, but after years of seeing whole families appear in the studio to 'get the kids tattooed' and countless dangerous criminals demanding lower prices (it's not easy to argue with a man whose ear has been bitten off and eaten) I'm through. On the upside, I have collected a wealth of stories , I've become very knowledgable of what makes society tick!
Lindsey

Postby Gavin » 01 Jun 2015, 13:29

It's admirable you should admit that, Lindsey - I hope you can manage to move away from the business. How about training in medicine and becoming that person who used to be a tattoo artist, and now removes them?! ;) Or (excuse my ignorance) is it possible to do this even as a tattoo artist - to offer a service whereby you only delete, or tattoo flesh colours, instead of ink on new patterns?

I'm sure your past experience has given you many insights anyway, as you say, rather as Dalrymple's time as a prison doctor did.

By the way, the Twitter account continues to pick up followers, even though I have been tweeting less since the election - I'll keep it going.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Lindsey » 01 Jun 2015, 16:25

Funny you should mention! I have looked into medical tattooing, as well as scar modifications , there is a niche of tattooing the areola on people who have had breast surgery, and I had a friend ask at a local hospital if they do in fact employ people in that area and they do. I looked into courses but it appears none of them are actually accredited and seem to be money spinners, so I need a bit more information about it. The pigment is sourced from the same companies as regular tattoo ink so it isn't a different process. Normally I think plastic surgeons often perform it, but in truth it would take several hours to do it properly, hence there is a private market and some tattooists have set up specially for this service. Sadly no ink pigments are opaque in the flesh and so no colour other than blacks and dark blues will cover over tattoo ink. I'd say about 40 % of the work I do is covering up regretted tattoos on older people. Usually names sadly.
Lindsey

Postby Nick J W » 01 Jun 2015, 16:36

it's not easy to argue with a man whose ear has been bitten off and eaten

Let me guess, he wanted you to tattoo "Ozzy woz ere"?
Nick J W

Next

Return to Other