Is the BBC left-wing?

Discussing art and media trends and organisations generally

Re: Is the BBC left-wing?

Postby Gavin » 20 Jul 2014, 09:55

Turned on BBC radio today - the first time since my last write-up. The current feature was about an Australian Aboriginal woman who had had her funding for the Arts Centre capped by the cruel government! The one after this was some story about how hard it had been for Indian immigrants to the UK and how they had experience racism etc. Keep up the whipping, BBC. Keep reminding the bovine masses how ashamed they should be and how they have no right to preserve their own culture and language in their own country, and we'll hold you accountable for whatever happens.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 24 Jul 2014, 08:37

I tuned in at seven minutes to nine this morning and immediately heard the words “people of African origin”, “racism”, “African Cultural Archives” and “discrimination” in quick succession. An evidently white man was being interviewed on The Today Programme and was saying all this. Business as usual!
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » 05 Sep 2014, 19:35

I've always considered the BBC to be extremely left-wing, no questions asked - though I admit I view it from a rather narrow angle. Still,this particular report seemed much worse than average - perhaps the horror of the subject (a beheading in London) required a sharper angle to the story. One could hardly imagine a better exemplar of evasion and dishonesty.

Woman 'beheaded' in London garden

An 82-year-old woman is thought to have been beheaded in the garden of a north London house.

'Thought to have been beheaded'. A person either has a head or does not. Who exactly is thinking that the woman was beheaded? The reporter does not say. The beheading is mentioned, then quickly dropped, as if the reporter had no interest in verifying the rumor, any more than a report that the victim was left-handed.

Did the reporter see the body? Did he speak to someone who saw it? More than one? Is it just hearsay? No more information is forthcoming.

There's only one reason for this obfuscation: Everyone knows the woman was beheaded, but the reporter must skirt around this fact.

A 25-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder and is in custody. Detectives said there is no suggestion the killing had a terrorist motive.

We'll see in a moment how hard the detectives had to work to purge their minds of any suspicion.

The man is in hospital being treated for injuries suffered when he was arrested, police said.

A Taser was used during the arrest and a firearms officer is believed to have suffered a broken wrist.

Note the passive voice, ever the friend of suggestio falsi suppressio veri. How did the officer suffer a broken wrist? Did the taser use itself? Did the suspect injure himself?

One must conclude that the suspect assaulted the police with sufficient violence to cause injury, and had to be disabled with a taser. Why does the reporter try so hard to airbrush the suspect's violence? Would he do the same for an EDL member who violently resisted arrest?

Police said they had traced the victim's next of kin but were unwilling to speculate on the nature of her injuries or the type of weapon used.

"Speculate"? No speculation was required, merely testimony. No honest reporter confuses testimony with speculation.

Palmira Silva
Cdr Simon Letchford
Det Ch Insp John Sandlin
Muhammed Yusuf
Ahmed
Danny Shaw

These are all the names quoted in the article. The name of the suspect is not mentioned. Would that be the case if his name were John Smith? Clearly, the name reveals something about the murderer, otherwise it would not have been hidden.

One could hardly be blamed for concluding - simply based on the absent evidence and the unasked questions - that a muslim beheaded a helpless elderly woman, and attacked the police when they came to arrest him.

It's possible that further evidence will rule out this theory. It's possible that the man was a lunatic who happened to be muslim - Jihadic tendencies aside, muslims have their share of bona fide lunatics, some of whom are doubtless violent. Yet after such a travesty of a report, who could trust the BBC if they reported tomorrow that the man was in fact crazy, and his actions had nothing to do with Jihad?
Jonathan

Postby Nathan » 30 Sep 2014, 18:49

Not only has Florence Nightingale been dropped as the pioneer of nursing in favour of Mary Seacole within the past 20 years or so, the BBC has been making children's programmes falsely accusing her of being racist towards the mixed-race Seacole.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... finds.html
Nathan

Postby Gavin » 12 Jun 2015, 09:16

One usually only has to turn on BBC Radio 4 to immediately hear an instance of leftism, be it worship of another - usually more primitive - culture, or worship of feminism (though these two extremes are somewhat incompatible).

Such was the case today when the sycophantic tones of Kirsty Young interviewed "public thinker" Lisa Jardine. He divorce was glossed over as Young then asked her how she was such a "superhuman" and how she had managed to have a full-time career which raising children.

"I had a full-time nanny", came the reply. Again no shame, and none was expected. Yet here is a woman proudly proclaiming that she did not raise her own children - she had a stranger do it instead. No credit in that for me - instead I find it slightly pathetic, and a great shame for the children.

Feminism: the philosophy of selfishness.
Attachments
article-2486048-192AB8B300000578-444_306x407.jpg
A feminist
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Paul » 16 Jun 2015, 09:20

Yesterday was the 800 year anniversary of the signing of Magna Carta at Runnymede, England.

I was at my mother's house when the 6pm news came on the BBC. Thankfully and I suppose obviously there was an article about it and footage of the Queen, David Cameron and others at an event marked to celebrate this. Not even the BBC could ignore this newsworthy event.

The presenter was talking about the importance of the document and went on to say that its basic tenets had also been adopted in other places around the world, by other great leaders ..... such as Mahatma Gandhi and Nelson Mandela.

Of the founding fathers of the USA, or of Australia or of other Anglo-sphere countries there was not a word.
Paul

Previous

Return to Art & Media