Leftism in music

Discussing art and media trends and organisations generally

Re: Leftism in music

Postby Elliott » 02 Nov 2012, 04:00

I'm afraid that, by these measures, I must be unintelligent. I read online rather than books, and my finances are in a mess due to an utter lack of common sense. Well, you can't have everything. Anyone seen my ghetto-blaster?
Elliott

Postby Gavin » 02 Nov 2012, 08:24

I must say it doesn't surprise me that educational establishments embrace rap. They want to embrace anything that is anti-establishment, it seems, and since almost all rap "artists" are black, then it must surely be a good thing to side with them - they must have good reasons for whatever they say.

It isn't just the educational establishments though, it's all of the corporations too, including the BBC (strange set-up that it is). Feminists also embrace rap, it seems. For example, the rapper Snoop Dogg is widely admired, associated with high grossing brands and female acts today and is frequently promoted on the television. This is the man who co-wrote and performed on the tracks:

B*tches Ain't Shit
B*tch Please (get down on your m*thaf*ckin' knees)
187 (on the m*thaf*ckin' cop)

Now I can just about handle such things being in existence. What's incredible is how they are embraced shamelessly by left-leaning people. Let me give you an example. I was involved in something in the media world a few years ago and was back-stage where Snoop Dogg was turning up. Almost all of the people involved in organising this were women - "media types". One tattooed smoking woman (probably very well paid) had brought her daughter along. The daughter was about 13 and, amazingly, she didn't look old beyond her years, despite her mother's conduct. She looked quite suitably dressed and seemed well behaved. I had a little chat to her, something about the music. I suppose I mentioned that most of the other rappers involved in the event (for they were what passed as modern musicians) were much more contemporary than Snoop Dogg and what did she think about that?

"Yeah, but he's a legend, though" was her reply. I always remember that. I hope readers saw my earlier post about former choirboy Aled Jones singing the praises of rapper Flo Rida on morning television also recently. That's something I never thought I would see.

So it's not that this stuff exists, but that it is promoted by both educational establishments across the board and by corporations now that is really alarming, I think. Shocking, in fact. They see no hypocrisy in this. The only explanation I can come to is that it is because most of the artists are black. Black trumps everything else - people are afraid that to stand up to vile elements of such a culture is to be "racist". But actually it is surely just standing up for civilisation and these people ought to be "colour-blind".
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 02 Nov 2012, 08:34

By the way, Podori, that Lisa Lopes video was infantile indeed. Have you yet had the pleasure of viewing Bedrock? That was a big hit over here a couple of years ago - launched Nicki Minaj's career. She's being promoted by BBC Radio now. Perhaps she'll even be selected as some kind of education ambassador by Ed Miliband as and when Labour get back in, or before.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Podori » 02 Nov 2012, 08:49

Gavin wrote:By the way, Podori, that Lisa Lopes video was infantile indeed. Have you yet had the pleasure of viewing Bedrock? That was a big hit over here a couple of years ago - launched Nicki Minaj's career. She's being promoted by BBC Radio now. Perhaps she'll even be selected as some kind of education ambassador by Ed Miliband as and when Labour get back in, or before.

Well, I have seen the rocking beds now. I wouldn't have gone out of my way to look for them before.

Both videos are utter dross. However, Nicki Minaj and her friends did themselves the favour of filming on a real set. They didn't reach quite as far down as Lisa Lopes did when she played hopscotch with children on an animated road.

In street vernacular, Minaj was "keepin' it real." Literally.

Lopes was just a "hot mess." (Also literally -- she died in a car crash in Honduras.)
Podori

Postby Andreas » 02 Nov 2012, 17:19

I managed to watch the entire Lisa Lopes video and agree with Podori's observations. There is a disturbing erosion of age boundaries which explains the infantilism of the adults, and more disturbing still, a violation of childhood innocence. The children in the video (and because there are children in the video, children in the real world are more likely to watch this video) are introduced to environments and behaviors for which they are not ready (nightclubs, flirtation, sexually charged behavior) and to which they shouldn't be exposed.

An obituary today for an academic whose work was controversial in the 1960s and '70s, and who was attacked, but was able to pursue his career; in American academia today no university would hire him or promote him:

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/ ... 9939.story
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 02 Nov 2012, 21:39

Sure enough, there is at least one scholarly book on rap music, published by no less than Cambridge University Press:

http://www.cambridge.org/gb/knowledge/i ... cale=en_GB

The author, Adam Krims, recently passed away. An obituary hails him as the "inventor of post-capitalist musicology."

http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/ ... ology.html

This would be a laughable parody if it weren't true.
Andreas

Postby Gavin » 02 Nov 2012, 22:20

That book's incredibly expensive at £76.00 too!
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 02 Nov 2012, 22:26

Here's a rather amusing "review" of the book on Amazon US, written in 2001 (so this isn't a cutting edge recent thing):

A Kid's Review wrote:THIS BOOK IS GREAT FOR PEOPLE WHO LOVE RAP,I MOSTLY GET MY INSPIRATION FROM MUSIC ,BUT READING THIS BOOK ON RAP MUSIC INSPIRED ME. I AM A BIG FAN OF THIS BOOK, YOU SHOULD BUY IT.
ITS REALLY INTRESSTING IV WAITED AGES TO FIND A DECENT BOOK ON RAP MUSIC,I ALSO LOVE POETRY, NOT THE KIND YOU DO AT SCHOOL,THATS TO BORING, BUT POETRY BY RAP ARTISTS, LIKE TUPAC, R.I.P, IM HIS BIGGEST FAN, THIS BOOK IS GREAT I RATE IT 5 OUT OF 5!!!SO U WANNA KNOW RAP U GOT RAP!
Elliott

Postby Michael » 03 Nov 2012, 03:04

I'm afraid that, by these measures, I must be unintelligent. I read online rather than books, and my finances are in a mess due to an utter lack of common sense. Well, you can't have everything. Anyone seen my ghetto-blaster?

Good point Elliott, our survey technique must not lump an intelligent young man like yourself in with society's wasters. Let's make it a 3-part survey:

1) financial history
2) book shelves
3) Internet browsing history

I'm certain your browsing history would distinguish you from the others.
Michael

Postby Elliott » 03 Nov 2012, 03:26

I hope so, Michael!
Elliott

Postby Podori » 03 Nov 2012, 10:38

Andreas wrote:Sure enough, there is at least one scholarly book on rap music, published by no less than Cambridge University Press:

http://www.cambridge.org/gb/knowledge/i ... cale=en_GB

The author, Adam Krims, recently passed away. An obituary hails him as the "inventor of post-capitalist musicology."

http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/ ... ology.html

This would be a laughable parody if it weren't true.

Selected from page three of the excerpt of the book on the CUP website:

The central thesis offered in this book - that what I call the "musical poetics" of rap music must be taken seriously, because they are taken seriously by many people in the course of its production and consumption - is meant partially as a corrective to the vast majority of rap and hip-hop scholarship which takes the music seriously but gives little, if any, attention to its musical organization.

The late Mr Krims (I refuse to call him "professor") was apparently troubled by a trend among serious scholars of rap music to ignore the "musical organization" of their subject, whatever that is supposed to mean. He is treating his subject as if the organisation of the content makes it worthy of notice.

Mr Krims taught in the music department of the University of Nottingham, which is widely regarded as one of England's leading universities. The university website has an announcement that expresses the department's regret at the loss of his "extraordinary intellectual talent."

I repeat again: degrees are worthless.

And interestingly, he died at his home in Paris. I wonder, did he stop breathing in his sleep in an expensive arrondissement or did some gangster "pop a cap in him" in a gun fight?
Podori

Postby Caleb » 04 Nov 2012, 00:32

Podori wrote:
Michael wrote:
That is a very good method, Podori. I would add taking a look at someone's bookshelf (or shelves) and judging both the titles and whether they show signs of having been read. Combine the two methods and we may have a faultless method for judging intelligence and prudence.

Judging by current levels of student loan debt I would say that my age cohort is not very bright. For the first time in history intelligence scores are in the red.

This is certainly the effect of rap music.

I'm not sure that student debt is a good indication of anything as such. Sure, people shouldn't incur large levels of debt for useless things, and maybe young people should have thought more about what they were getting themselves into. I do think that's a pretty tall order in this case though. The trouble is that to a large extent, it is true that degree holders do earn more than non-degree holders, and they probably also have more satisfying jobs. In some respects, it was quite reasonable that this was crammed down the throats of every teenager in the past thirty years.

Where the problem has arisen is two-fold though. Firstly, every man and his dog now goes to university, thus diminishing the worth of a degree (requiring people to either seek out more prestigious and expensive universities and/or attend expensive graduate programmes). Secondly, the rate at which universities have increased their fees has been significantly higher than the CPI. There has thus been a strange situation where one of the principal requirements for entry into, or remaining in, the middle class has become one of the major hindrances of such an objective. What's the alternative though? Some people might start their own businesses (a risky option also). In some cases, people might develop well-paid blue collar skills, though the prospects for non-degree holders are generally pretty poor in most cases.

I think this whole situation is symptomatic of a range of much deeper issues in society though.

Rather than look at student debt levels, I think it would just make a lot more sense to look at more discretionary spending.
Caleb

Postby Podori » 04 Nov 2012, 12:01

Caleb wrote:
Podori wrote:
Michael wrote:
That is a very good method, Podori. I would add taking a look at someone's bookshelf (or shelves) and judging both the titles and whether they show signs of having been read. Combine the two methods and we may have a faultless method for judging intelligence and prudence.

Judging by current levels of student loan debt I would say that my age cohort is not very bright. For the first time in history intelligence scores are in the red.

This is certainly the effect of rap music.

I'm not sure that student debt is a good indication of anything as such. Sure, people shouldn't incur large levels of debt for useless things, and maybe young people should have thought more about what they were getting themselves into. I do think that's a pretty tall order in this case though. The trouble is that to a large extent, it is true that degree holders do earn more than non-degree holders, and they probably also have more satisfying jobs. In some respects, it was quite reasonable that this was crammed down the throats of every teenager in the past thirty years.

Where the problem has arisen is two-fold though. Firstly, every man and his dog now goes to university, thus diminishing the worth of a degree (requiring people to either seek out more prestigious and expensive universities and/or attend expensive graduate programmes). Secondly, the rate at which universities have increased their fees has been significantly higher than the CPI. There has thus been a strange situation where one of the principal requirements for entry into, or remaining in, the middle class has become one of the major hindrances of such an objective. What's the alternative though? Some people might start their own businesses (a risky option also). In some cases, people might develop well-paid blue collar skills, though the prospects for non-degree holders are generally pretty poor in most cases.

I think this whole situation is symptomatic of a range of much deeper issues in society though.

Rather than look at student debt levels, I think it would just make a lot more sense to look at more discretionary spending.

It was only meant ironically, in the sense that shelling out so much cash for a degree proves that the university-educated youth of today are proving their gullibility, not their learning, by possession of such qualifications.
Podori

Postby David » 20 May 2013, 21:17

I wonder where Morrissey fits into all of this. I've been a fan of his lyricism for many years, and politically, he tends to veer rightward (though he sometimes denies it in public.) Most recently, the singer has endorsed Ukip.
David

Previous

Return to Art & Media