"Conservatives" in the MSM

Discussing art and media trends and organisations generally

"Conservatives" in the MSM

Postby Gavin » 19 Nov 2013, 03:34

I thought we could have a specific thread dealing with the topic of how very few actual conservatives are ever heard on the MSM or accepted in publications. Obviously almost never on the BBC, but also they are rare on any mainstream media programme. For example, you will not hear Jared Taylor, Steve Sailer, Roger Scruton, Geert Wilders, Robert Spencer, Pamela Geller, Marine Le Pen, the list goes on and on. Very rarely will you hear, or even hear of, Dalrymple, despite his wealth of experience and his insightful remarks. Not only will you not hear these people as guests, but of course they won't appear as presenters either, not the in the UK anyway (I'm not aware of a single media figure who is against multiculturalism or Islam). If they do appear as guests they will be mercilessly attacked and continually, arrogantly interrupted, their words ignored.

So we can talk about they way the media is biased in this respect but we can also talk about the way that those they do put in place as conservatives tend to be token conservatives who are not actually very conservative at all. Very mildly conservative at best (not old-school, like for example Norman Tebbit). One such example would be Iain Dale, who has his own radio programme on LBC, so 45,000 followers on Twitter and a good many listeners, too (however I don't listen to that station any more, preferring audiobooks!). He's supposed to be a conservative and he actually stood for the party in 2003.

I will simply show you a few of his latest (non-consecutive, I must add) tweets so that you can judge the intellectual level of his feed and his degree of conservatism (he also conducted a very hostile interview with Tommy Robinson some months ago). Unfortunately we see in Dale the usual combination of vulgar language along with actually very PC views (and of course a declared love of football - this goes without saying). He really wishes that he, rather than his left-wing colleague, had had the honour of interviewing Oprah Winfrey, and is keen to help promote Owen Jones.

dale.jpg

I suppose it isn't surprising there are no conservatives in the mainstream media when there are apparently none in the actual Conservative Party, but it's still an issue worth having here, I think. I wonder if our foreign readers find the same thing in their countries, both about the lack of (and treatment of) conservative guests, the absence of presenters, and the "soft" conservatives put in their place.
Gavin
Site Admin

Re: "Conservatives" in the MSM

Postby Andrea » 06 Dec 2013, 20:31

Ah, but David Starkey is a conservative and often in the MSM, and often on the receiving end of a load of abuse! (Rather like Peter Hitchens). As for Ian Dale, anyone who claims to be a conservative and promotes Owen Jones is no conservative.
Andrea

Re: "Conservatives" in the MSM

Postby Gavin » 06 Dec 2013, 23:22

That is true, Dr Starkey is sometimes allowed on as the token conservative saying what many of the general public actually feel, while a BBC selected audience of liberals and lefties is ranged against him (along with holier-than-thou liberal panelists, of course). I suppose they let him on because he is a homosexual, this causing a short circuit in their PC minds. Same goes for Douglas Murray, actually.
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to Art & Media