Responding To Rap With Mockery

Discussing art and media trends and organisations generally

Responding To Rap With Mockery

Postby Michael » 27 Nov 2013, 17:12

Kanye West is a rapper - there's not much more worth knowing that that. Recently, he released a particularly terrible song called "Bound 2", with an obnoxious and pretentious music video. This, in itself, is not the story.

The story is that James Franco and Seth Rogen, two very funny actors, got together with some friends and created a shot for shot remake of it that must be seen to be believed.

Thankfully, some wonderful person on the internet has made a video that lets you see just that. The still clip will tell you all you need to know (warning: mildly NSFW):

Sometimes (nearly) direct imitation is the greatest form of mockery.
Michael

Re: Responding To Rap With Mockery

Postby Elliott » 27 Nov 2013, 19:26

I liked the parody video, but... the song is absolutely atrocious! Do people actually enjoy it...?
Elliott

Postby Lindsey » 28 Nov 2013, 14:33

What I love about rap music is how they take a perfect good tune like Aerosmiths dream on (yes I do like this song!) and then just talk all over it.
Lindsey

Postby Jonathan » 28 Nov 2013, 19:35

Maybe my experience was ruined by seeing the two of them side-by-side before seeing the original, but the first thought that went through my head was that there are things which don't deserve satire.

I mean - when second-graders put on a class play, you don't mock it. They're doing their best, and that's the best they can do.
Jonathan

Postby Yessica » 29 Nov 2013, 09:11

Michael wrote:Kanye West is a rapper - there's not much more worth knowing that that.

There might be interesting things to know about him. According to what I heard West is the son of a college professor, attended good schools, as a kid he liked greek poetry and wrote poems, he spent some time in China as a kid and is fluent in several languages.

If it happens to be true it would be interesting to know why he moved from liking classical greek poetry to being a rapper.
Yessica

Postby Michael » 29 Nov 2013, 16:11

If it happens to be true it would be interesting to know why he moved from liking classical greek poetry to being a rapper.

The cynical pursuit of wealth, I would guess.
Michael

Postby Lindsey » 29 Nov 2013, 16:39

Yes I'd assume rap to be much more profitable than classic Greek !
That reminds of Justin Beiber, who is infact, a musical child prodigy , plucked from obscurity and made to sing... Well, Justin Beiber songs.
Lindsey

Postby Gavin » 29 Nov 2013, 21:35

A little more on Mr Bieber. (I wasn't calling him "a little moron" ;)
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to Art & Media