UK Rise in Classical Music Listening

Discussing art and media trends and organisations generally

UK Rise in Classical Music Listening

Postby Andrea » 06 Feb 2014, 10:25

I nearly slipped when I heard this news when I was in the shower earlier. More than 300,000 new listeners have tuned into my favourite radio station, ClassicFM in the past three months, meaning 5.6 million people tune in each week. Really, with all the excrement that passes for music these days in the charts, is it any wonder that more and more people are getting fed up and trying to get more beauty in their lives? But does this have a deeper meaning? Is the pendulum swinging back to civilisation? I hope so!

http://www.classicfm.com/music-news/latest-news/classic-fm-audience-figures-2014/
Andrea

Re: UK Rise in Classical Music Listening

Postby Gavin » 07 Feb 2014, 20:04

Excellent news - we can hope!
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Mike » 08 Feb 2014, 21:39

The ABC's Classic FM station is about the only one I listen to now. It's well-presented and has a good mix. Would be interesting to know its listening figures.
Mike

Postby Andrea » 10 Feb 2014, 19:19

Hi Mike - do you think you can find out? I'd be very interested to know that as well. :)
Andrea

Postby Mike » 11 Feb 2014, 02:42

I looked up the figures, it fluctuates a bit but the general trend seems to be gradually up.

I like the way they include some "local" material inamongst the evergreens. There are actually some quite good contemporary Australian composers - Peter Sculthorpe, Elena Kats-Chernin, Carl Vine, etc.
Mike

Postby Andrea » 11 Feb 2014, 20:17

Hey, that's great! I'm not familiar with the names you mentioned, so I'll have a look on YouTube. Thanks for checking it out.
Andrea

Postby Connor » 14 Feb 2014, 07:41

This does sounds like an encouraging trend. I know that I've taken more of an interest in Classical music in the past few years. Actually, I think my growing interest was a combination of me simply getting older and also the ongoing deterioration of pop music.

A few people on this thread have mentioned Classical music stations that their home countries provide. I was curious if anyone had any websites of a similar nature to recommend. The best place that I've found so far is Classical Connect, which allows you to listen to recordings for free. If you create your own account, you can even produce your own playlists where you can save your favorite pieces. Belonging to this website has provided me an invaluable education in music.

Any other suggestions?
Connor

Postby Mike » 09 Aug 2014, 09:05

Mike wrote:There are actually some quite good contemporary Australian composers - Peter Sculthorpe, Elena Kats-Chernin, Carl Vine, etc.

Sadly the gentleman in bold passed away yesterday at the age of 85. He was a giant of Australian music. My father studied music under Sculthorpe at Sydney University in the sixties, and revered him. In many people's opinion he was the first to develop a genuinely "Australian" style in contemporary classical music.

There were respectful obits even in the British press, I noticed. A sample of his orchestral work:

Mike

Return to Art & Media