A waste of good dynamite

Discussing art and media trends and organisations generally

A waste of good dynamite

Postby Marcus B » 17 Nov 2014, 11:18

Greetings

One night while with a few friends I was asked what I would be doing come the fall of civilization (yes one of those evenings). The picture I painted them was a ragged figure trekking north with a wagon load of looted dynamite, 'why dynamite?' they asked. I replied that if civilization was going then the Angel of North was going with too. I detest it powerfully, had it been called 'Tailors Dummy and Plank' I could have borne it but to invoke the angelic of that pile of modernist scrap iron is the last straw.

What followed was a highly enjoyable debate with each man staunchly advocating first place on the bonfire for his own personal horror. One even went so far as to insist I came to see his favourite in Greenwich, I had assumed he meant Gormley's Quantum Cloud. But in fact he had this understated little beauty in mind:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=https://t ... 2-aAKEOKGQ

I think we can agree your council tax hard at work.

So I am interested in what readers of this forum consider particularly offensive abominations in the world of public art. If you could cause only one 'happy accident' and remove a public eyesore which would it be and why?
Marcus B

Re: A waste of good dynamite

Postby Kevin R » 10 Dec 2014, 01:38

public art.jpg

I'm surprised that no-one responded with some examples on this one, there must be thousands peppered about the globe..

Off the top of my head, here is one from my home town (I don't live there anymore, but do visit occasionally). This perfunctory masterpiece was commissioned by the local council, and stands as a testament to their civic attempts to suffuse a sense of timeless beauty into the soul of any citizen passing by, or who may perhaps emerge from the stygian gloom of the Lego-land barracks that house the 'Job Centre' behind it (formerly known as the 'Employment-Exchange'), and crave indulgence in a little eye-salve after the rigours of a day's search for work.

If I recollect rightly, it was erected about seven or eight years ago, the cost to local citizens of this totemic trifle amounting to approximately £250,000 pounds..
Kevin R

Postby Kevin R » 10 Dec 2014, 01:48

Marcus B wrote:Greetings

One night while with a few friends I was asked what I would be doing come the fall of civilization (yes one of those evenings). The picture I painted them was a ragged figure trekking north with a wagon load of looted dynamite, 'why dynamite?' they asked. I replied that if civilization was going then the Angel of North was going with too. I detest it powerfully, had it been called 'Tailors Dummy and Plank' I could have borne it but to invoke the angelic of that pile of modernist scrap iron is the last straw

What was it they used to say now..? Ah yes.. 'If you can't fight, wave a big stick..'
Kevin R

Postby Gavin » 10 Dec 2014, 08:18

Any of the ugly tenement blocks that were erected in the 1960s to house our visitors via mass immigration could go, I think.

One sees them around the North Circular Road in London but also spoiling the skyline of our other cities. Ugly grey blocks usually with washing hanging outside them. They're usually graffitied, because the residents have "nothing better to do", and one daren't think how many children are born there to parents who should not yet be having "families" (as if they usually are!) because they cannot afford to do so.

I am reading After America by Mark Steyn at the moment and it's clear that the west is in economic freefall if not social freefall. Major corrections needed.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Marcus B » 15 Dec 2014, 16:18

Yes its been a smaller than anticipated response.

Of course its fun to swap horrors and in that vein I offer the following 'places of worship' but I find the nature of modern aesthetics fasinating.

http://www.realclearreligion.org/lists/ ... state=stop

I had expected someone to bring up that vile blight on Ilfracombe: Hurst's skinless wonder. One glance put it as the aesthetic equivalent of mustard gas but I'd never really considered why until a friend of mine really broke it down.

Though it is indifferent as a representation of the human body aren't most modern sculptures? Certainly most avoid being offensive while technically amateurish, Eric Morecambe's for one.

Consider the concepts it embodies, woman, motherhood nee pregnancy, the sword and naked mechanistic biology, can these ideas combine coherently? Consider the sword partnered with the vulnerability of pregnancy or more simply woman and the sword. It was put to me that you can't combine these things without an understanding or a disregard for the reality these things envoke. The brazen nudity, the biological dissection force a meanness on the traditional mystery of motherhood and procreation, its not just ugly its intellectually repulsive. I think a lot of people feel this instinctively but can't express it.
Marcus B

Return to Art & Media