Contemporary popular music

Discussing art and media trends and organisations generally

Re: Contemporary popular music

Postby Paul » 10 Jun 2013, 04:10

I'm not going to watch it - no way. Imagine what her father must think. Then again...............

Slightly off topic because it regards TV 'soap stars' (or a certain one) rather than pop stars. Recently, a matter of maybe 2 or 3 months at most, there has popped into the national conciousness (so I gather) and into the media en masse, a young lady by the name of Helen Flanagan. She's a young actress in the long-running TV soap 'Coronation Street'. No links because I'm refusing to help spread such inanity.

I'm sick of hearing about her and yet I avoid such things so I say. She's on every news home page, in links on newspaper articles, on the front pages even of various daily newspapers that have passed my eye. She's popping up everywhere.

But this is the way of it - 99% of the said media coverage is in relation to her getting her clothes off. I've just seen another link to an article - 'HF is doing a naked photoshoot'. In the jungle I think it said. Along the way this last month or two there have been quite a few other naked moments, not to mention young Helen also 'falling out of her dress' (oops) on various occasions, wearing 'revealing' dress, hinting at more nakedness and generally - well, taking her clothes off. And that seems about it. Oh, apparently she can act as well.

It's simply terrible. I have a twenty-year old daughter.
Paul

Postby Dan » 10 Jun 2013, 15:09

Flanagan is no longer in coronation street and chosen an alternative career path, perhaps it's more lucrative, or perhaps she's realised she has no acting ability... Her parents probably aren't fussed so long as she has a high £conversion rate.

Tastelessness sells. Even Shakespeare knew this so purposefully incorporated sex and violence in his plays. Like it or not, we all know sex sells...
Dan

Postby Elliott » 10 Jun 2013, 18:27

Of course the thing about Shakespeare is that his plays were also masterpieces. The same cannot be said for Coronation Street or anything else associated with Helen Flanagan!
Elliott

Postby Gavin » 15 Aug 2013, 14:25

Popped the radio on in the car, Radio 4 - lots of PC stuff, unlistenable. Turned on Radio 1, cautiously, instead. Just as before, the RP voice of a young man introduces... this:

It's just primitive, tuneless, menacing yet meaningless, musically retarded: thus it has more than almost a million hits already and will no doubt make a lot of money for the white caucasian who made it.

Why will it make such a lot of money? Child support, along with a lot of promotion by the good ol' BBC.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 30 Aug 2013, 09:23

What can one say?
Elliott

Postby Gavin » 30 Aug 2013, 11:05

I found this barely believable and to some degree I'm relieved to be able to say that it is a parody. Anjelah Johnson is apparently a "comedienne" and actress, who had a role in the film Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel. I actually liked the title of this and tried watching it, but the chipmunks were too annoying.

The character appears to be a kind of female equivalent of Ali G, but the act does run a similar risk of endorsing those it portrays. I'm afraid it may be a bit too light on the ridicule while being accurate with the impersonation to have any other effect.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 04 Dec 2013, 20:12

Just going back to what Michael said over two years ago on the first page of this thread when he was quoting Socrates/Plato:

It's not very hard to imagine what Socrates and his interlocutors would have made of Lady Gaga and Bruno Mars. Of course, they are imagining a state without a founding, without a history

A state without a welfare state, too! That's surely a major part of our problem and it looks like it might be our undoing. People are free to behave as immorally and irresponsibly as they like and, if they can get away with it, this is only likely to be admired by their peers and will be financed by the state (especially when it comes to having illegitimate children). Thus it is little wonder we have a ballooning underclass population.

Society needs to become more judgemental, but there is a problem when it threatens to be a majority who are vulgar, since they will judge by their own standards, and those who dare to be judgemental against them suffer their wrath and probably violence. We cannot even use monetary influence any more, since many corporations, lacking moral boundaries of their own, will bend to the will of the majority for profit.

When values have been reversed it is thus very hard to see how they can ever be turned around again other than through a decline to final collapse, or nearly that point.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Charlie » 15 Dec 2013, 11:30

Roger Scruton wrote:The chords in modern pop music are taken from the shelf and laid out in a sequence. They are lifeless relics of harmony.

Yes!

Taken from the 'Roger Scruton Quotes' page on Twitter.
Charlie

Postby Gavin » 22 Mar 2014, 13:12

Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Charlie » 22 Mar 2014, 20:58

"Beri Beri"?

"Delhi Belly", more like.

It sounds like a suitable soundtrack to it, anyway - if you'll excuse my crudity.
Charlie

Postby Paul » 22 Mar 2014, 22:54

Via another blog, I've read the following, which are apparently a sample of the lyrics of ..... Rihanna.

“Suck my cockiness
Lick my persuasion
Eat my words
And then swallow your pride down, down

Place my wants and needs
Over your resistance
And then you come around
You come around
You come around

I want you to be my sex slave
Anything that I desire
Be one with my femin-ay
Set my whole body on fire
They mad at Rihanna game
Taking over your empire
She may be the queen of hearts
But ima be the queen of your body parts

No one can do ya
The way that I do
Boy I wa-a-ant
(Youuuuuu)
I love it, I love it
I love it when you eat it
I love it, I love it
I love it when you eat it
I love it, I love it..”

“It’s not even my birthday
But he want to lick the icing off
I know you want it in the worst way
Can’t wait to blow my candles out…
I know you wanna bite this
Its so enticin’
Nothin’ else like this
I’ma make you my bitch

And it’s not even my birthday
But you wanna put your name on it
And it’s not even my birthday
And he tryna put his name on it
Ooh, I wanna f*** you right now
Just get up on my body
I’ll do anything”

Her regular audience or fans or followers are apparently girls of teenage yeears or less.

Question is, why aren't her songs banned on all media outlets and in fact why isn't she charged with a crime? Along with the inevitable writer(s) of her lyrics.
Paul

Postby Gavin » 23 Mar 2014, 07:34

I assume that record is keenly promoted by the BBC - I have certainly heard as bad on there. I don't think popular music could be much worse now - we have surely arrived at the nadir. It is a poison in society, like an acid actively corroding away any remnants. Yet so many young people soak it up and prioritise their lives by the "values" promoted, because they are glamourised.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 27 Mar 2014, 08:03

TD having a good go at rock music in the Twitter feed ;) While I grant that a lot of rock is innane, some is fine. I think he should be concentrating his fire on hip-hop/rap. Maybe he is unaware of how depraved that usually is - or maybe it is too controversial a ground, given that black people usually produce it?!
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 30 Apr 2014, 08:54

Here is something I thought of doing myself not long ago, but I decided not to partly because of the risk that a parody would be interpreted by the stupid (of whom there are very many) as an endorsement. In the tradition of “Valley Girl” we have here a “song” featuring a female narcissist talking rubbish all the time accompanied by the most hideous sounds.

It shows the woman to be obnoxious, but the trouble is in a shallow and morally corrupt society (which we have) the behaviour depicted is instead widely admired by the general public.

Further, I do not think this “song” was even made ironically. Ultimately it is just contributing to the problem.

Eight-five million hits, I suppose they made a lot of money out of it. There’s a lot of money to be made in civilisational decline. Try to stop it and you might be imprisoned.

Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 18 Jun 2015, 09:58

There is a strong inverse relationship between the number of views and the quality of music on YouTube.

Here, with 246 million views, we have surely reached a cultural nadir? If you can bear to watch it you will notice that this is bereft of any musical accomplishment at all - it's just a horrible, crude, aggressive sound accompanied by equally crude, demented visuals - and it's what is currently filling the heads many of our younger generation:

Gavin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Art & Media