Some Excellent Videos About Economics (Or, Arguing With Liberals 2)

The nature and impact of financial issues

Some Excellent Videos About Economics (Or, Arguing With Liberals 2)

Postby Michael » 28 Jun 2013, 15:55

Here are some excellent short videos about economics, explaining basic microeconomic principles and clearly up some distortions. I like to send them to liberal friends who fail to understand how free markets work.

Social Justice And Its Critics (social justice is not merely immoral and impractical, but conceptually flawed):

Why capitalism and imperialism are not the same thing (no matter how much leftists conflate them):

Do women really make less than men because they are discriminated against?

The Broken Window Fallacy ("there's a silver lining - it will create jobs!")

Does capitalism exploit workers?

One of my favourites: Why Is Higher Education so expensive?

Michael

Re: Some Excellent Videos About Economics (Or, Arguing With Liberals 2)

Postby Gavin » 28 Jun 2013, 22:58

Thanks for posting these. I thought they were good... yet still quite PC ;)

For example the one on imperialism did a good job of explaining (for challenged people) the usually mutually beneficial mechanism of capitalism, but it seemed to paint imperialism as entirely bad. The one on women said women are "guided away from" certain professions, whereas I do not believe that is the case at all now. On the contrary, they are strongly "guided into" things they'd probably be better off not doing.

On the higher education one, this seemed slightly biased in that it was given by a lecturer who was defending the role of these universities, when as we know they are almost 100% left-leaning and actually a lot of very valuable jobs to society do not require a degree at all. Also, I read recently that many UK universities are claiming they face bankruptcy because of a downturn in applicants. Perhaps things are different here.

Still good though, and I hope there are many more like this and they go a bit further.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Damo » 06 Aug 2013, 20:45

The truth about the minimum wage

Corporations Do Not Pay Taxes: They Can't, They're Not People .
I mentioned that companies don’t pay taxes a couple of days ago and this brought some rather surprised comments. What confuses me is why should people be surprised? It’s not all that difficult an idea after all: any tax is going to mean less money in the wallets of some group of people. The people who have less money after the tax are clearly and obviously the people who are “really” paying this tax.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall ... ot-people/
Damo

Postby Damo » 10 Aug 2013, 12:11

Damo

Return to Economics