Playing at Economics

The nature and impact of financial issues

Playing at Economics

Postby Paul » 08 Dec 2013, 14:53

Have a laugh at this one

So we should all play video games and usher in a new and glorious (and profitless) era.

You won't be surprised to find out that the author of this piece is a former member of Workers' Power, (a Trotskyist group), a supporter of Class War (an anarchist underground publication), and an admirer of the 'Occupy' movement. What may make you weep is that he was until recently the BBC's Newsnight economics editor and was also once Channel 4's cultural and digital editor. He also thinks a great deal of Laurie Penny. 'Penny Red' he calls her.

He says

But what if you could choose to play any of these games without trying to gain wealth through conquest, violence or the mercantile capitalist strategy of buying cheap and selling dear?

Buying cheap (not always) and selling dear (ditto). In other words, making a profit. What does he think people go into business for? For the fun of it, and of course helping everyone else out for no personal gain? I can well imagine how dearly he sells his (dubious) wares and how the Guardian, the BBC and C4 won't be 'buying cheap' when it comes to dealing with him.

Wouldn't it be fantastic to get people like him, strip away all their assets and force them to be a 'goodass' (lol) on a farming collective? With a five-year plan on the go. What a complete fool. Another Manchild, still with his student head on.

Interestingly, it seems most of the commenters at the Guardian spend a lot of time playing video games. I bet they're ruthless at it and care not a jot for their competitors/co-players.
Paul

Re: Playing at Economics

Postby Michael » 09 Dec 2013, 18:15

Thanks for the laugh, Paul.

I am glad I have never met someone advocating such childish views face to face - it would be an awkward social encounter (I have the same difficulties whenever people try to discuss Moon landing conspiracies with me).

I've come to the conclusion that most people seek truth in direct correlation to its importance to their life. So they care a lot about whether they are correct about when the bus arrives, but less about economics, politics, or history when being wrong has no effect on their lives.

Wouldn't it be fantastic to get people like him, strip away all their assets and force them to be a 'goodass' (lol) on a farming collective? With a five-year plan on the go.

I smell a Kickstarter! Who wants to join me in raising money to ship clueless liberals and progressives to North Korea for the summer break?

He is clearly the person the Dead Kennedy's are addressing in their song "Holiday in Cambodia":

So you been to school
For a year or two
And you know you've seen it all
In daddy's car
Thinkin' you'll go far
Back east your type don't crawl

Play ethnicky jazz
To parade your snazz
On your five grand stereo
Braggin' that you know
How the niggers feel cold
And the slums got so much soul

It's time to taste what you most fear
Right Guard will not help you here
Brace yourself, my dear:

It's a holiday in Cambodia
It's tough, kid, but it's life
It's a holiday in Cambodia
Don't forget to pack a wife

Well you'll work harder
With a gun in your back
For a bowl of rice a day
Slave for soldiers
Till you starve
Then your head is skewered on a stake

Now you can go where people are one
Now you can go where they get things done
What you need, my son:.

Is a holiday in Cambodia
Where people dress in black
A holiday in Cambodia
Where you'll kiss ass or crack
Michael

Re: Playing at Economics

Postby Caleb » 10 Dec 2013, 01:25

Being wrong about economics, politics or history does have an effect on people's lives. It's just not so obvious to a lot of people, which is probably your broader point. I'm just being slightly pedantic (though not entirely).
Caleb

Return to Economics