Future English & Future Britain

The state of education across the world

Re: Future English & Future Britain

Postby Mike » 14 Jun 2012, 23:30

Back onto the topic of education as a whole, could there be a more canonical example of the sort of academic drivel that is ruining educational standards than this?

There, absolutely in a nutshell, is the smugness of the self-appointed educational "expert", the naked appeal to narcissism, the haughty contempt for anything likely to actually give those on the lower rungs of society a chance to educate themselves properly, and the overall sanctimonious hypocrisy of humanities academia.
Mike

Postby Elliott » 15 Jun 2012, 00:01

That speech contains an impressive number of leftie liberal cliches, Mike! Let's see, now: children are wonderful because they have so many surprising talents, adults are a cancer on the Earth (deep and profound self-hate), education dulls people's minds, dancing is as valuable as mathematics, the world is in revolution and the past is over, etc. etc.

I also noted that he, clearly an academic, wished to distance himself from academics by claiming to be some kind of pragmatist.

Am I right? Am I right?
Elliott

Postby Elliott » 07 Jul 2012, 14:51

I just read the funniest excuse someone gave for his appalling punctuation, spelling and grammar:

"I tend to type and think at the same time."

Obviously, that precludes editing or reading the thing over. That would probably destroy its "authenticity".
Elliott

Postby Gavin » 07 Jul 2012, 16:35

"I tend to type and think at the same time."

Classic - worthy of a report from Dalrymple himself, that one!

And good point about the "authenticity"...
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Caleb » 13 Jul 2012, 01:34

Yet all that quote tells me is that the person who said it is not very good at thinking. We all make mistakes, of course, but the whole point of being articulate is that a person can organise his or her thoughts in a coherent manner in real time. Maybe this is not actually how it happens, but I believe that what's in a person's head comes out of his mouth or his fingertips. Clumsy speech and writing indicate to me that the person concerned has clumsy mental processes. To suggest otherwise would be to suggest that there is indeed some sort of distance between one's thoughts and one's movements (including those associated with speech). Yet surely this can't be the case. It wouldn't make any sense from a scientific or medical point of view. It seems highly unlikely that any species would have survived so long if it didn't have such control over fine motor movements. We witness a lack of such control in situations of brain damage or pathology, such as with people who have suffered strokes, but we're supposedly talking about normal people.
Caleb

Postby Elliott » 13 Jul 2012, 03:34

That's a good point, Caleb. But even if it were true that the guy can't type and think at the same time, he can still read over his text and fix any mistakes. That lack of care, in both senses of the word "care", is shocking; I'm surprised people are prepared to admit to it.

But I recently had an argument on a sci-fi forum (mainly British, but with non-English speaking visitors) where people said that writing in correct English was unnecessary. This, even though the non-English speakers would inevitably end up learning incorrect English.

Honestly, give people an inch of leeway and they'll take a mile.
Elliott

Postby Gavin » 12 Aug 2012, 10:47

Rev Peter Mullen writes an excellent article "in a bid to"* correct the appalling deterioration of English even among journalists today.

The state we are in is surely a result of decades of left-wingers having taken over the educational system with the message that anything is right. Sheer idiocy, but I remember it even as I studied linguistics.

*"In a bid to" - one of the most cringeworthy dumbed down "journospeak" phrases that they plaster across the front of their tabloids!
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 23 Aug 2012, 14:19

Rev. Peter Mullen has written a quite amusing blog post about the state of English, though I don't object to all of the examples he objects to:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/petermullen/100177719/the-english-language-has-just-died-and-i-am-going-to-hold-a-funeral-for-it/
Elliott

Postby Elliott » 24 Aug 2012, 23:26

This chap puts down uptalking so well...

Elliott

Postby Caleb » 25 Aug 2012, 09:37

Very nice. I watched some other videos of that man (Taylor Mali) and they were also very good.On Girls Lending Pens is a good one.
Caleb

Postby Gavin » 25 Aug 2012, 09:46

That was great! This is the way to deal with this kind of thing - exposing it and ridiculing it. These people imagine they indicate open-mindedness with their uptalk but more often than not it just comes across as both uncertain, pretentious and somewhat patronising - suggesting as it does that the listener may not be able to follow simple sentences. It's so widespread now too. He's probably right to link this phenomenon to a more widespread uncertainty of values in the age of postmodernism/PC/relativism. Surely many of his audience members engage in habitual uptalk, "likes" and "you know"s - hopefully they will think twice following that!
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 25 Aug 2012, 09:50

Very funny second one too - and first rate rhyming. I like this guy. Have to keep a lookout for him.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Mike » 25 Aug 2012, 21:56

Elliott wrote:This chap puts down uptalking so well...

Ha! Nice.

That sort of thing has been an infuriating feature of Australian speech for as long as I can remember.
Mike

Postby Elliott » 05 Sep 2012, 15:51

Gavin wrote:What I think is the nicest accent of all, RP (or rather a complete lack of accent) is now firmly in the postmodern firing line. Charlotte Green will likely be the last newsreader who speaks as she does on Radio 4, I dare say.

Gavin, I'm sorry to inform you that Charlotte Green has left Radio 4 - presumably jumping before she gets pushed.
Elliott

Postby Gavin » 05 Sep 2012, 16:57

That's terrible news, what with Harriet Cass going as well - the other lovely female voice on BBC radio. Tragic, and the end of an era as the nation continues it spiral down the civilisational plughole.

I wonder if Ms Green just became sick of the BBC's constant leftism and - even worse - actually being part of it. I can hope... but I suppose she shares their lefty views. Maybe we'll see if she spills all in the future as Peter Sissons and Robin Aitken did.

I stopped listening the BBC news some time ago despite her flawless delivery and there's not much reason to bother again, given this news. I notice the article stated that no-one tried to persuade her, or Ms Cass, stay. As you suggest, I suppose no-one wants them. Who'll be next on there? Maybe it's an opening for someone like Zoe Ball, Sara Cox or Fearne Cotton - they could move over from Radio 1.

The government needs to step in and sort the BBC out or abolish it, because it seems to be on an egalitarian mission to destroy all that was ever great about Britain.
Gavin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Education