Western education

The state of education across the world

Re: Western education

Postby Paul » 08 Oct 2014, 00:21

I had a visit from a friend today. He's about four years younger than me. He spent about six years in the military (army - logistics corp) and participated in the first war in Iraq. Since then he's been a postman and a warden(?) in a secure unit for people mentally unfit for trial on criminal matters. He's currently not working, having just returned from five years in France.

He's discovered that his daughter, now aged twenty-four, doesn't know who Adolf Hitler was. Or so she claims. Neither is she vaguely interested, nor appreciative of his distress. 'So what if I don't know who he is? What does it matter?'

He was that animated, frustrated and partly enraged I thought he was going to start crying.
Paul

Re: Western education

Postby Nathan » 21 Oct 2014, 08:54

There's an article on the BBC site today about an experiment in the 70s involving schools with no rules. Supposedly it was meant to empower the children, but a couple of passages in particular give me other ideas as to who they were really designed to indulge.

The teachers, known as "workers", used to laugh at Martin for his avoidance of four-letter words, he recalls.

Catterall recalls 40 years ago gathering in the centre of Liverpool with a group of children from the free school, all holding a tomato. When you see him, lob it, the teacher told them. The venerable man they were waiting for appeared and the children duly let fly.

But the target was not just anyone. It was Edward Heath, the British prime minister. The children have been ordered by their teacher to bombard - albeit with tomatoes - the elected leader of the country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29518319
Nathan

Previous

Return to Education