Remembering Grace Kelly

Feminist ideology and the effect it has had upon society
About this forum
This is an example of one thread - Feminism - which has recently been turned into its own subforum. Thus we are currently breaking that very interesting, but very long, thread into sub-discussions where appropriate. This will leave the original thread with a lot of views while the new threads will apparently have fewer. They'll begin to catch up though.

Remembering Grace Kelly

Postby Gavin » 16 Oct 2013, 15:58

Grace Kelly was the daughter of a bricklayer and one of the most refined and cultured women, I think, in living memory.

If you find yourself pining for the days when women aspired to being like her, rather than like the hard-faced sub-intellectual "Posh" Spice, the whorish Lady Gaga, or any other typical feminist of today, then you will enjoy the interview that I will post in a moment below. Grace by name, grace most certainly by nature, she is worth watching for her elegance and worth listening to her beautiful standard American diction alone.

Grace Kelly was obviously thoughtful, refined and cultured. She said she hated Hollywood culture - it destroyed people - and said that she was rarely recognised as Grace Kelly, just someone who "looked like her". I would put this down to her manner; everyone would have known if Ava Gardner or Joan Collins was approaching.

Some say that Grace Kelly was feminist, quoting the following line (though I have not found the source):

I am basically a feminist. I think that women can do anything they decide to do.

Even if she said this, however, it is not the whole story. She is also quoted as having said:

Women's natural role is to be a pillar of the family.

And in the video series below, when asked, she offers the following key observations:

I think when children are in their teenage years the presence of a father is very important and very necessary.

Television has invaded the household - it seems to have replaced everything in our lives today.

There are more and more mothers who are working, so it's very difficult [for them to oversee children].

I regret seeing the breakdown of the family in many countries and I think this is one of the great tragedies of our age, because it is the nucleus of society.

[On the redundancy of feminism even in the 1950s] When I went to school and started working I felt very free and liberated already. I didn't feel as though I was suffering.

I've seen a lot of nice things come out of the liberation movement; I've seen a lot of unhappiness too. Very often, I think, the price for independence and freedom is solitude and loneliness. Since the women's liberation has been in effect, the percentage of alcholism among women has gone up enormously. This is not a very good sign, is it?

[America lost respect due to] rather weak leadership. When America was out in front and the strongest nation in the world they didn't hold the reins as they should have, I think. Very often after the war Americans wanted to be liked, wanted to please. Well it's very hard to be a leader and in that position and please everyone - you just can't.

I'm not saying Grace Kelly was perfect (though many people do!). In the interview she is quite positive about multiculturalism. But it is possible that such a true lady would have been much more overtly against feminism and multiculturalism, had she seen what has these policies have wrought upon society today. It was perhaps even more heretical then than it is now to be opposed to the burgeoning movement of feminism in particular, especially for a woman.

I know, in any case, who I would rather meet for dinner (or spend any time with at all) out of one the female commissioners of the EU or this lady - at this point a mother and a housewife. She is truly a "commoner" who deserved to become a royal and her tragic death was most untimely. This is the last interview she gave.

Gavin
Site Admin

Re: Remembering Grace Kelly

Postby Andrea » 06 Dec 2013, 20:36

I think she was a wonderful lady, and I'm proud to have been born in the same city as she (Philadelphia).
Andrea

Return to Feminism