Feminism in Scandinavia...

Feminist ideology and the effect it has had upon society
About this forum
This is an example of one thread - Feminism - which has recently been turned into its own subforum. Thus we are currently breaking that very interesting, but very long, thread into sub-discussions where appropriate. This will leave the original thread with a lot of views while the new threads will apparently have fewer. They'll begin to catch up though.

Feminism in Scandinavia...

Postby Nathan » 06 Nov 2013, 23:32

As with MC mania, Scandinavia seems to have become hooked on feminism for its own sake more so than anywhere else, so there should be ample examples to maintain this separate thread dedicated to feminism in that part of the world. I have an excellent "Only in Scandinavia" example to start off:

Swedish cinemas take aim at gender bias with Bechdel test rating

I'd never heard of the Bechdel test before, but it asks whether a work of fiction features at least two named female characters who talk to each other about something other than a man, and uses this as a yardstick of how gender-balanced a film is.

Presumably, a film written by a woman with an entirely female cast and crew with no mention of men whatsoever or the most disgusting misandry would count as gender-balanced and get the 'A' rating, but the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, all Star Wars films, The Social Network, Pulp Fiction and all but one of the Harry Potter films fail the test.

This stuff wouldn't be so bad if this was recognised as extremist nonsense with potentially damaging effects on normal relations between the sexes, but the state-funded Swedish Film Institute has officially endorsed it, and the Scandinavian cable TV channel Viasat Film says it will start using the ratings in its film reviews and has scheduled an A-rated "Super Sunday".

It probably doesn't surprise anybody on here though that of the top 100 commercially most successful Hollywood films in 2012, 95.9% of the directors, 87.8% of the writers and 80% of the producers were men.
Nathan

Re: Feminism in Scandinavia...

Postby Gavin » 07 Nov 2013, 07:59

Yes, I have heard of this feminist test. I suppose they think they are quite ingenious for contriving it. The thing is, when you hear conversation between women it often is about men anyway (or certainly relationships of some kind). That's because men and women are different. Just two examples, from two extremes (and personally I tend to find anecdotes more convincing than statistics):

I was on a bus not long ago outside Harvey Nichols in Knightsbridge. Two young women were going down the stairs, exiting the bus. They were oblivious to everyone and in conversation. The one was telling the other that someone at work was interested in her. "Is he hot?", replied her friend. No, he wasn't hot enough. Nothing would be happening there, then.

Switch to here in the northwest, this little town with very high unemployment and low literacy. When I have overheard the women here of a similar age to those two, their conversation is also about what so-and-so a man has done - from what I can gather they appear to have dysfunctional lives much as Dalrymple describes of his patients. The men chosen by the women are usually covered in tattoos with shaven heads: the convict look.

This is why many (though not all) women like soap operas too, of course: because they are about relationships, which (unless they are lesbians) involve men. So the test is a bit silly. Just because they are talking about men that doesn't mean they are somehow oppressed by them, which is the implication, either. In fact, if it wasn't for decent strong men in society the women would be oppressed in ways they could hardly imagine by stronger men from elsewhere. We already see that from the Islam that feminists are often so reluctant to criticise.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Martin » 19 Nov 2013, 19:23

I too have heard of this test. It is mentioned on RamZPaul's web-site. It seems completely one-sided, there are many films in which men talk about women. Are they going to downrate these films too? I think not. I assume that the proponents of this stupid rating system would argue that the men in films talk about things other than women as well so it doesn't need to be down rated. The fact is that a lot of films are based around the activities of men anyway so it stands to reason that men will talk about things other than women. I don't know about the Swedes, but I think that most British people would treat this rating system with the contempt it deserves & ignore it.
Incidentally, on RamZPaul's website he shows a picture of the originator of this rating system with the tacit implication that he is a man (he? looks like a man). The video seems to end & then takes one by surprise by starting again when he reveals that SHE is a lesbian.
Martin

Postby Nathan » 15 Feb 2014, 17:36

This article is more about permissive child-rearing than feminism, but this still seems to be the best thread to put it in. Those forum-members who have children would have more of an opinion about this than me, but it seems some in Sweden are questioning if letting children do what they want, when they want is really in their best future interests.

I've never been to Sweden, but the article reminds me of having a meal in a restaurant with my Norwegian ex-girlfriend while in Norway, and noticing children running around as if it were a playground. The parents certainly didn't look like the underclass types who were unable to control their children without shouting, and the children didn't look at all like feral future troublemakers, but it just seemed like the adults didn't think that taking control of the situation and getting their children to sit down and stop disturbing the other diners was the appropriate thing to do.
Nathan

Postby Nathan » 10 May 2014, 14:02

What does the Swedish political party Feministiskt Initiativ think is the greatest security problem in Europe today?

Men's violence against women, of course!

They're in favour of a world without borders, too:)

Replace the racists with feminists!
Nathan

Return to Feminism