J. K. Rowling writing as "Robert Galbraith" - did you ever believe Robert was a man?

Feminist ideology and the effect it has had upon society
About this forum
This is an example of one thread - Feminism - which has recently been turned into its own subforum. Thus we are currently breaking that very interesting, but very long, thread into sub-discussions where appropriate. This will leave the original thread with a lot of views while the new threads will apparently have fewer. They'll begin to catch up though.

J. K. Rowling writing as "Robert Galbraith" - did you ever believe Robert was a man?

Postby Yessica » 29 Nov 2013, 09:06

J. K. Rowling published her book "The Cuckoo's calling" under the nom de plume "Robert Galbraith".

I looked at the some paragraphs via "Amazon - look into"... well my first thought was "There is no way this could be written by a man". Way to flowery... way to much beating around the bush.
But then - of course - I knew it was written by a woman and it might have influenced my opinion.

Do you know the book? Has any of you bought it while the identity of "Robert Galbraith" was still unclear? Did you believe him to be a man?
Yessica

Re: J. K. Rowling writing as "Robert Galbraith" - did you ever believe Robert was a man?

Postby Jonathan » 29 Nov 2013, 14:30

I'm afraid I haven't read it. I did, however, enjoy the Harry Potter series very much.

Yessica wrote:my first thought was "There is no way this could be written by a man". Way to flowery... way to much beating around the bush.

May I recommend to you a certain series (if Fantasy Fiction is your cup of tea)? It's called the Wheel of Time, and was finally completed at 15 books (not counting a prequel) which gives you an indication just how much flowery language it contains. The author is Robert Jordan, which is also a nom de plume - I'll leave it to you to guess whether it's a man or a woman :)
Jonathan

Re: J. K. Rowling writing as "Robert Galbraith" - did you ever believe Robert was a man?

Postby Yessica » 29 Nov 2013, 15:26

I looked into the first book from the wheel of time series. Only a few pages...
Educated guess: He (or she? - no he!) is male. I did not look him (?) up yet because I like guessing around.

The language is much more precise and to the point to my mind.

Also he describes a young girl named Egwene... and she seems to have "male emotions".

* when treated disrespectful her reaction is "I will show him!" instead of "Why does he not like me? Did I make a mistake? Why can't we get along?"
* She wants to be respected not liked
* She concentrates on "getting the job done" and shutting her emotions out. Also a more male reaction

Whilst there are plenty of women who have emotions like this I think it is more typical for a male.

I like his (?) writing however and will add it to my "to read" list.

The cuckoo's call is a detective story - not a fantasy novel. You can read it at amazon if you want to see a really flowery language. I would be interested in your opinion... if you think that could be written by a male. I say: no way.
Yessica

Return to Feminism