What we teach young persons about sex

Feminist ideology and the effect it has had upon society
About this forum
This is an example of one thread - Feminism - which has recently been turned into its own subforum. Thus we are currently breaking that very interesting, but very long, thread into sub-discussions where appropriate. This will leave the original thread with a lot of views while the new threads will apparently have fewer. They'll begin to catch up though.

What we teach young persons about sex

Postby Yessica » 18 Jul 2014, 06:51

That is going to make me sound like a prude.

I happened to watch some reality TV (I know, I know) that was about the struggles of a working class family. The daughter was turning 18 and her single mother gave her a stripper for birthday as a surprise present, which the daughter greatly enjoyed. The mother asked the daughter and her friends not to be bashful and touch the stripper and they did and cheered for joy. I have no idea if the family portrayed on TV really exist but I sure that teens watched the episode and thought that it does.

What it teaches a young man: "If I undress in front of women I do not know all of them will want to touch me"
What it teaches a young woman: "If I see a random man undress in front of me my most natural reaction will be overboarding joy".

I guess the main point of the show was to sell. Besides if one had the opportunity to ask the makers of the series why they a) decide to air something as private as the party or b) even scripted that scene they would have said that is was empowering women and make it easier to confess they have the same sexual desires as men do... or as I suppose some men do.

There is only one thing wrong with that. Typically they don't. From an evolutionary perspective that would not make much sense.

Rather then "empowering" women such narratives are "enslaving" them, telling them that saying "No, I don't want to see you naked body and I don't want to touch you. Who do you think you are? Get lost." is somehow wrong, oldfashioned and niminy-piminy.

Add to that that young teens spend more time in front of the TV than they spend with their parents.
Further add that schools nowadays teach teens that is fine and natural to have sex, which it is. What schools however don't teach young persons is that it is just as fine and natural to say "I do like sex, but I don't like YOU" or "While I like you and would like to have sex with you one day I would like to wait until I know you better". I don't think that this is any bad will on the part of the teachers.
They remember their youth when any sex was a taboo and such teachings might have been useful and fail to realize how much the world has changed.

I think that this kind of teaching may be has the worst influence on boys from immigrant cultures who are still learning about European society and come up with the idea that European women are easy to have bitches which will actually enjoy being sexually harrassed.
Yessica

Re: What we teach young persons about sex

Postby Elliott » 26 Jul 2014, 19:17

It's difficult to know what to say about this. My gut reaction is that programmes like the one you describe appeal to the base drives of the general public (the word for it is "titillation"), but that few people will actually take them seriously. I don't believe that any great number of people would see that stripper scene and conclude that sex is cheap and feelings are meaningless. But then again, maybe I am naive? Maybe this sort of thing really does have an effect on the worldview of the general public, especially youngsters with no great moral compass.
Elliott

Re: What we teach young persons about sex

Postby Yessica » 18 Sep 2014, 07:16

Elliott wrote:Maybe this sort of thing really does have an effect on the worldview of the general public, especially youngsters with no great moral compass.

I think it does not have a great effect of people who were brought up with a sound moral view on sexuality but what if the persons 46-year-old father married his 15year-old-mother a cousin from his distant homeland and he never saw marriage or sex as being related to affection in his family?
He might be repulsed from what he sees in his family, might end up wondering how other people live their sexuality and end up with that.

Same goes for the persons whose mother really is a "slut", instintctively repulsed by that the young girl might just see on TV that everybody seems to think like her mother and discouraged might give up trying for higher.
Yessica

Return to Feminism