Feminism

Feminist ideology and the effect it has had upon society
About this forum
This is an example of one thread - Feminism - which has recently been turned into its own subforum. Thus we are currently breaking that very interesting, but very long, thread into sub-discussions where appropriate. This will leave the original thread with a lot of views while the new threads will apparently have fewer. They'll begin to catch up though.

Re: Feminism

Postby Elliott » 29 Mar 2014, 00:19

It's Klitternacht!
Elliott

Postby Kevin R » 17 Apr 2014, 16:53

Nathan wrote:
Paul wrote:
KLIT - a queer-feminist and activist community space in Hungary

An amazing queer social centre space and are trying to survive in a city with extreme fascist state oppression. Klit, which also hosts Rhythms of Resistance Budapest, will soon be evicted. They need help in any way possible, including by spreading around the call...

Aww, bless! They've been caught squatting on somebody else's property and the extreme fascist state doesn't like it, I take it?

Ahh.. it didn't have any proper conveniences then..? Did men invent plumbing?
Kevin R

Postby Gavin » 14 May 2014, 07:09

Last year young feminists accused other women of "sexism" for freely choosing to "jelly wrestle". Or was it just the men they were accusing? Probably.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Yessica » 06 Aug 2014, 05:25

The daily mail has an article about an early 20th century woman who slept around while her husband was serving in a combat zone and killed the baby resulting from the affair (and herself).

A doomed romance and a tragic betrayal: Heartbreaking story of the Great War soldier's wife who fell in love with a reservist and paid for it with her life

Now the story of Annie and her doomed love affair have been turned into a novel - although this is one tale where the truth is even more shocking than fiction.

'There was great pressure to conform to the strict moral codes of the "respectable" working classes,' explains author Juliet West, who first came across Annie's story while working as a journalist at the Daily Mail.

Strict?

It wasn't enough and so, Annie took a job in a cafe. There, she regularly encountered a handsome young docker named Richard Luck and the two swiftly embarked on an affair.

'I can imagine she might have been reluctant to work in the munitions factories,' adds Juliet. 'Although the work was well-paid, handling the chemicals could have a serious effect on workers’ health.

'The café must have seemed a much safer option and another perk was that Annie was allowed a meal with each shift. Food became scarce as the war dragged on, so this would have been a bonus.'

And if you work in a cafe and meet other people you need to start an extramarital affair? The Muslims must be right at banning women from the workforce then.
Yessica

Postby Gavin » 02 Oct 2014, 09:53

I was just reading that Jenni Murray is among the many women claiming to have been offensively "groped" at the BBC.

1645-5dcp9em9c.jpg

I was about to post that if this is true then it could explain why some women turn to feminism. But then one must consider that equally being totally ignored by men might just as much be a source of bitterness.

On another note, apparently the Dave Lee Travis verdict is up for review. I am usually well tuned into PC and not surprised by anything, but on this occasion I must admit I had assumed that it was up for review because allegedly touching a woman in a corridor really is not much of an offence (hardly like rape!) so the sentence has been considered too severe (indeed the allegation not even proven). So for once I was surprised when I found it had been considered too lenient. Yet look at the lenience shown for other crimes!

One wonders when this celebrity witch hunt will cease. Of course serious offences with probably valid allegations should be investigated, but this is seeming to be a free-for-all now. A slap on the bottom is in bad taste (certainly something I wouldn't do) but I think the culture was somewhat different back then and there may have been some joking acquiescence in some cases (think "Carry On"!). There is little allowance for this it seems in the courts, but I really think they need to get matters in perspective. These celebrities were doubtless often targeted by women. Rape, paedophilia: very wrong. A bit of jokey behaviour and sexual innuendo: somewhat crass, but not as wrong.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 07 Nov 2014, 22:06

original.jpg
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 07 Nov 2014, 22:25

Gavin
Site Admin

Previous