Roger Scruton on rights

The justice system in the UK and abroad

Roger Scruton on rights

Postby Maxwell » 12 Apr 2013, 21:35

Well worth reading: Nonsense on Stilts

If there are such things as 'natural rights', therefore, they ought to have the essentially negative aspect of freedoms: rights not to be molested, rather than claims to be fulfilled. But no such limitation is acknowledged by the bodies that pretend to declare human rights in modern conditions. Bentham's view was the first conscious recognition of the danger represented by 'rights inflation', the danger that people might claim as a right, and on no legal authority, what is merely an interest.

It's currently the topmost article on the Work In Progress page, but you may need to scroll down to view it when new pieces have been added at a later date.
Maxwell

Re: Roger Scruton on rights

Postby Gavin » 12 Apr 2013, 21:48

It's good to see his site. I read and used Roger Scruton's work extensively during my study of philosophy many years ago, despite a friendly but left-wing lecturer trying to turn me against him. I'm getting my current quotations from him from this Twitter feed.
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to Law, Crime & Justice