One law for Muslims, another for everyone else

The justice system in the UK and abroad

One law for Muslims, another for everyone else

Postby Gavin » 06 Jun 2013, 20:35

There are a lot of examples of this duality in the application of the law, of course, from the covering up of the Muslim grooming gangs to the exemptions for halal slaughter, but the EDL's Tommy Robinson has been receiving so many open death threats recently that I thought this subject merited a thread of its own.

Here, anyway, are just a few recent examples:

Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 13.32.15.png

Screen Shot 2013-06-03 at 10.39.51.png

Screen Shot 2013-06-06 at 21.20.19.png

Apparently Tommy Robinson has submitted a list of over 200 of these to Bedfordshire Police but there has been not a single arrest.

Meanwhile, a man is threatened with arrest for selling t-shirts asking for people to "obey our laws and respect our beliefs or get out of our country".

Am I mistaken or is this grossly uneven application of the law? These are not just disparaging comments, after all, but direct death threats, serious or not. There are many more examples where this came from. It makes one wonder whether the police are actually trying to bring about a revolution in the UK by stoking public fury with their double standards.
Gavin
Site Admin

Re: One law for Muslims, another for everyone else

Postby Elliott » 06 Jun 2013, 21:13

It's worth speculating what the public reaction would be if any one of these would-be murderers actually did kill Tommy Robinson.
Elliott

Postby Gavin » 06 Jun 2013, 21:24

I happen to have saved one more screenshot of that:

Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 13.26.37.png
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 06 Jun 2013, 22:18

That's the sort of thing I'm thinking about, Gavin. If anything happened to Tommy Robinson (or his relatives) would that just be the end of peace in this country? Would that be the "Gavrilo Princip moment"?

Obviously I don't know. At the very least, the government and police would have a very hard time keeping a lid on the resulting explosion of tit-for-tat violence.
Elliott

Postby Nathan » 10 Jun 2013, 12:17

A man has been arrested for allegedly threatening violence against former Respect Party leader Salma Yaqoob over social media. No word was given on what exactly was meant to have been written.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22839881
Nathan

Postby Gavin » 10 Jun 2013, 12:59

Right.. maybe he threatened to pull her burqa off, or something as mild as that.

Meanwhile, in the real world, Tommy Robinson is now on nearly 83,000 followers (I think he was on 20k before Woolwich) and is now receiving so many open death threats - not only to him but also to his family - that he can hardly keep up with them all:

Screen Shot 2013-06-10 at 13.32.07.png
Screen Shot 2013-06-10 at 13.44.36.png

Here is a small selection of these delights.
Attachments
Page 6.jpg
Page 6.jpg (7.69 KiB) Viewed 4970 times
Page 1.jpg
Page 2.jpg
Page 3.jpg
Page 4.jpg
Page 4.jpg (9.73 KiB) Viewed 4970 times
Page 5.jpg
Page 5.jpg (8.44 KiB) Viewed 4970 times
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 10 Jun 2013, 18:55

Here is the law that the above messages contravene:

Any person who sends to another person—

(a) a letter, electronic communication or article of any description] which conveys—

(i) a message which is indecent or grossly offensive;

(ii) a threat; or

(iii) information which is false and known or believed to be false by the sender; or

(b) any article or electronic communication which is, in whole or part, of an indecent or grossly offensive nature

is guilty of an offence if his purpose, or one of his purposes, in sending it is that it should, so far as falling within paragraph (a) or (b) above, cause distress or anxiety to the recipient or to any other person to whom he intends that it or its contents or nature should be communicated.

I wonder whether Mr Robinson therefore has a case against the police for inaction? I expect he would if he is injured as a result of these threats. It's certainly a difficult law to police, given the sheer amount of hatred on the Net and the ability of people use short lease IP addresses, cafes etc. - but I don't think this in itself is a reason not to have a law. Further, it may not be (or be able to be) enforced entirely but there should at least some effort to enforce it without bias.

I suppose the police would say they try to establish whether threats are "credible" or not, but I don't buy this. They are quick to enforce this law when a single threat is made to a Muslim, but apparently do not even attempt to do so when hundreds are made to a non-Muslim. Among them there may well be some credible ones, and - in any case - all of them break the above law. Tommy Robinson's frequently used hashtag of "#2tier" seems to be entirely appropriate.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 10 Jun 2013, 19:27

I agree with all of that, Gavin, and these tweets are really quite shocking. I hope TR's mother doesn't see them.
Elliott

Postby Gavin » 11 Jun 2013, 12:03

I suppose we should have a thread for the EDL, but it doesn't really matter because mention of it is spread across numerous topics now.

Anyway here is an excellent performance by Tommy Robinson against the lefties on The Today Programme. What a shame it is left to him but, as he says, the climate of bias and thought crime is so bad now that a person can lose their job just for being patriotic. Mr Robinson seems to be rising to the occasion very well, anyway. I suppose the BBC would never dare interview Paul Weston.

I notice the lefties never, ever condemn those threatening TR's life or ever manage to defeat him on any points, but just constantly grill him to repeat what he has already said. Hard to defend your country when your state broadcaster has turned quisling.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 11 Jun 2013, 12:13

Following the interview, by the way, the BBC picked up on TR's remark that the EDL's tactics were "completely questionable". However it was obvious to me that what he meant, in the context, was "open to question". Not for the BBC to interpret him fairly, though. Like Daleks, it just seems to be "demonize, demonize", and they spotted an opportunity there. To their minor credit, at least they gave the article the headline "EDL condemns attacks on Muslims".
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 11 Jun 2013, 13:49

Agreed, Gavin. The "completely questionable" line appears two times in that small amount of text. Well done, BBC.
Elliott

Postby Gavin » 11 Jun 2013, 14:00

From The Guardian:

Mehdi Hasan also took issue with the BBC's decision to give Robinson a platform without counterbalancing discussion of his own background. "EDL leader claims to be a peaceful protester on the Today programme. No mention of his own history of violent behaviour on air."

TR actually mentioned his arrest for assault himself during the interview! It was for hitting someone who made a Nazi salute.

These are working class people standing up because if anybody else does so they will be sacked due to the atmosphere of PC. No, TR's criminal record is not admirable, he is not purer than the driven snow. But credit to him that he is standing against the Islamisation of the UK. Shame it's left him and his kind, and maybe one or two others like Douglas Murray and Pat Condell.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » 11 Jun 2013, 17:46

The Daily Mail toeing the line and insulting the EDL after TR's appearance on the BBC.

"Far-right", "controversial", "extremist", "confrontational": they are all there, but needless to say all comments - those which passed the censor in the first place, of course - with a positive rating are pro-EDL. It would only take that mosque fire to be proven a hoax or an insurance job, or any more Islamist attacks/grooming gang stories coming to light and the EDL, or at least their sentiment, could go mainstream this year in the same way that UKIP has.
Nathan

Postby Gavin » 14 Jun 2013, 13:57

Screen Shot 2013-06-14 at 14.54.02.png

Screen Shot 2013-06-14 at 14.52.48.png

Don't hold your breath for the arrest.
Gavin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Law, Crime & Justice