On Paying For Your Own Outrage

Analysis of political issues across the world

On Paying For Your Own Outrage

Postby Michael » 27 Mar 2013, 15:29

Recently a columnist in a major Canadian news magazine posted some ignorant comments, questioning what sexual boundaries mean in an era of sexual liberation. She was referring to an unpleasant incident at an American town that has resulted in rape charges for some students. The column in itself is poorly reasoned and written, and an embarrassment to conservatives generally.

What interested me in the article is how much attention it got on Facebook from friends of mine. A female friend (would you have to guess she doing a doctorate in English at a major university?) posted about her outrage, and others reposted her post to voice their own outrage.

I wanted to respond to her directly, pointing out that attracting attention to a journalist paid to express her opinion is not the way to counter those views - you've just driven visitors and ad traffic to that column, which tells the editors they did their job well in choosing that column for printing, and that you'll see more of it. I decided against responding directly.

I feared responding directly might cause a spat with this friend, whom I love dearly and want to stay on good terms with. Instead, I did some philosophical thinking about the phenomenon, and concluded there is a game being played by everyone involved, whether they know it or not. I wrote about that game in my latest essay. I would love to have my fellow forum members feedback on it:

Playing Games (Or, How To Make Money In Journalism)
Michael

Return to Politics