Statism

Analysis of political issues across the world

Statism

Postby Charlie » 09 May 2014, 07:52

With the announcement that the State plans to take money from the bank accounts of those are behind on their payments to HMRC, the emphasis on the news this morning seems to be on the "innocent people" who could be affected by this.

Innocent people may well be targeted, that's true, but isn't it missing the point somewhat?

Isn't the fact that the (totally profligate, obese and broke, yet always in need of more money) State plans to dip its adipose hands into other people's bank accounts enough cause for concern? Did I miss a meeting?
Charlie

Re: Statism

Postby Nathan » 09 May 2014, 09:11

I didn't even know they were allowed to do that (I know they did in Cyprus with the bailout, but wasn't that with banks which were being nationalised?). Maybe I am missing something here, but what can give the Government the right to do that if your money is in a privately-owned bank? If this is possible then why aren't fines taken automatically out of people's accounts?
Nathan

Re: Statism

Postby Charlie » 22 Oct 2014, 08:10

"Come on, this house is now far too big for you. Collect your stuff, sell up and get out of here. I don’t care how much family history there is here! The State knows best! We have some nice new one bedroom flats on the Executive Living Shoebox estate in Bow for you to move into.

Off you go…"
Charlie

Return to Politics