"Moving on" from our Judeo-Christian heritage

Considerations of religious issues in general

"Moving on" from our Judeo-Christian heritage

Postby Elliott » 21 Aug 2011, 18:54

I have read many times that Islam is incompatible with Western civilisation, and the same of Hinduism, Buddhism and Sikhism etc. People say "our civilisation is based on Judeo-Christian morality".

But how do these other religions conflict with Judeo-Christian morality? Do they not also excoriate murderers, robbers, rapists and liars?

And how are we, today, defined by a religion developed 2000 years ago? What do we owe to Christianity and to Judaism before it?
Elliott

Re: "Moving on" from our Judeo-Christian heritage

Postby Rachel » 21 Aug 2011, 19:47

I don't remember ever reading that Hinduism, Buddhism or Sikhism are
incompatible Western civilisation.

It's only the fanatical type of Islam that believes in proper Sharia law and chopping people hands off for stealing and wotnot that has been argued to be incompatible with Western civillation.

Is Buddhaism really incapatible with civillisation? The Japanese are Buddhist and look how impressively they behaved during the recent disaster in their country.

Slightly OT Whenever someone mentions Buddhism I always remember a Japanese program they used to show on TV in the early 80's in Britain called "Monkey".
As a child I always assumed it was a fantasy program about the adventures of some characters called "Monkey", "Pigsy" and a shaved head monk called "Triptaka". But many years later I was told that this weird thing that looked like it had been made by someone on drugs, was really the belief of Buddhists.

I hope I'm not annoying some Buddhists on the thread :)
Rachel

Postby Gavin » 21 Aug 2011, 20:09

Monkey was totally surreal, wasn't it? I used to like that programme, but even then I thought it was pretty weird...
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » 22 Aug 2011, 09:55

There's something faintly suspicious about the term "Judeo-Christian Heritage". I don't remember hearing it used until a few years ago. It's as if Europe's 2000-year-old Christian Heritage suddenly became Judeo-Christian somewhere between 2001 - 2007. 70 years ago, anyone advocating the importance of preserving Europe's Judeo-Christian Heritage would have been sent to a lunatic asylum.

I think the shift in terminology here reflects an opposition to an ascendant Islam, which suddenly makes Judaism and Christianity seem to have a lot in common.
Jonathan

Postby George » 23 Aug 2011, 04:29

Rachel wrote:Is Buddhaism really incapatible with civillisation? The Japanese are Buddhist and look how impressively they behaved during the recent disaster in their country.

Are you sure? I thought they were Shinto. (Although I've known plenty of Japanese people who have Shinto coming-of-age ceremonies, Christian weddings, and Buddhist funerals, which leads me to think they aren't particularly serious about religion over there...)
George

Postby Rachel » 23 Aug 2011, 16:23

You're right George. I didn't know that. The person who told me that Japanese were mainly Buddhist must have been wrong. I just looked it up on Wilkipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Japan

It says that they have Shinto and Buddhism as their main religion but they tend to mix and match different religions exactly like you described with Shinto births, Christian white weddings and Buddhist funerals.

:"Most Japanese people do not exclusively identify themselves as adherents of a single religion; rather, they incorporate elements of various religions in a syncretic fashion...
...Shinto and Japanese Buddhism are therefore best understood not as two completely separate and competing faiths, but rather as a single, rather complex religious system]...

...About 70 percent of Japanese profess no religious membership,[7][8] according to Johnstone (1993:323), 84% of the Japanese claim no personal religion. In census questionnaires, less than 15 percent reported any formal religious affiliation by 2000"
Rachel

Postby Rachel » 23 Aug 2011, 16:32

Jonathan wrote:There's something faintly suspicious about the term "Judeo-Christian Heritage". I don't remember hearing it used until a few years ago.

That's true... Now I think of it I also don't remember that term ever being used before about 2000.

Jonathan wrote: It's as if Europe's 2000-year-old Christian Heritage suddenly became Judeo-Christian somewhere between 2001 - 2007. 70 years ago, anyone advocating the importance of preserving Europe's Judeo-Christian Heritage would have been sent to a lunatic asylum.

I think the shift in terminology here reflects an opposition to an ascendant Islam, which suddenly makes Judaism and Christianity seem to have a lot in common.

I think you're right.
Rachel

Postby Caleb » 20 Oct 2011, 06:10

The TV show about Monkey and Pigsy is actually based upon the Chinese story (considered one of the four great classics) Journey to the West.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_West
Caleb

Return to Religion