Multiculturalism

Islam is, for now, included under this topic

Re: Multiculturalism

Postby Gavin » 15 Feb 2015, 16:32

I believe societies can withstand small numbers of "other". But when they become too many, this makes the host society very uncomfortable - understandably.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has called on Jewish people in Europe to migrate to Israel following attacks on Jews in recent weeks. "This wave of attacks will continue. I say to the Jews of Europe - Israel is your home," he told a cabinet meeting.

Mr Netanyahu seems to be a mono-culturalist, perhaps an ethno-nationalist?

The Jews have a home, the Muslims have a home across the Middle-East. But where do the French, the Danish, the Swiss, the Germans, the Dutch and the English have a home, now? Large parts of their countries are being colonised. Natives are not welcome in those parts.

People came here not because they saw the culture of this country (the better parts) and thought "That's great - that's the place for me, that really suits me". Instead, thousands have simply remained the same - taken at most benefits, and continued with their own alien culture and the supremacist yet backward ideology of Islam. What society other than a suicidal one would accept this happening inside its borders?

It may come to the point when police need to go door to door. They will ask:

• Did you come to this country through, for example, a holiday romance, or a genuine relationship with an English person, which developed, and you were funded by them or had independent wealth, and you integrated because you love our country?
  • Did you come here because you are of value to our country, i.e. you are highly skilled and we considered that we need you long term?

If not, it's time to go. There is no need for you to be here. It wouldn't surprise me if matters come to this point, though it is a long way off yet.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » 18 Feb 2015, 19:33

Gavin wrote:I believe societies can withstand small numbers of "other". But when they become too many, this makes the host society very uncomfortable - understandably.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has called on Jewish people in Europe to migrate to Israel following attacks on Jews in recent weeks. "This wave of attacks will continue. I say to the Jews of Europe - Israel is your home," he told a cabinet meeting.

Mr Netanyahu seems to be a mono-culturalist, perhaps an ethno-nationalist?

Well, it's a bit like that, but not quite.

Netanyahu's call reflects three ideas which underlie the modern state of Israel.

1) A Jewish state with more Jews will be more robust, both militarily and economically.

2) Israel is a Jewish state with a democratic system of government. So long as the Jewish majority remains large, it does not have to confront the potential conflict between those two values - e.g. a hypothetical majority of Arabs could pass a law changing the nature of the state. The last country to face such a crisis was Lebanon, and a 15-year civil war was the result.

But the strongest motivating factor is this -

3) When Jews are murdered for being Jews, they cannot rely on European governments to protect them. This is the lesson of the Holocaust. To Jewish eyes, Europe is starting to look a lot like 1931 or so, and this time they're going to get out in time. However harsh this may seem to European ears, I suspect that rather than disputing the point, more and more European non-Jews are starting to adopt it - that is, that their governments will not protect even *them* from Islam, let alone the Jews.

However, there is some distance between this and being a mono-culturalist. Israel has about 20% non-Jews (Muslim Arabs, Christian Arabs, Druze, Circassians, Bedouins) with varying degrees of loyalty and affection to the state, but no-one's trying to get rid of them all (well, hardly anyone). And that's without taking into account the various cultural fault-lines within the Jewish community.

The main difference, I imagine, lies in the fact that most of the Arabs here are not recent arrivals, and their numbers are not spiraling upwards uncontrolledly. When such immigration was going out of control (from the West Bank, and also from Africa), Israeli PMs did take action (e.g. building fences). So it's more a matter of preserving or restoring the status quo than striving for a pure, ideal state.

This distinction - which is the distinction between your first paragraph (a small minority is ok) and the term 'monoculturalist/ethno-nationalist' - is subtle, but (I think) important. If we view the problem as a question of degree, then reasonable compromises are possible, and even beneficial. But if it's a question of principle, then compromise is treason.

This small difference can have far-reaching consequences. In 1947, Palestine was partitioned between Jews and Arabs to the satisfaction of neither side. For the Jews, it was a question of degree; they accepted a small state, and proceeded to thrive. For the Arabs, it was a question of principle; they refused all compromise, and have been spiraling down into a bottomless pit ever since.

Which fate will be Britain's?
Jonathan

Postby Gavin » 19 Feb 2015, 21:01

Thanks for replying to this Jonathan - interesting and I may pick up on some more points later.

But for now, I think it is true that our state will do little to pre-emptively protect us from Muslims terrorists, but the state is very PC and this includes special efforts to favour any minorities. This is why you see Jewish "police cars" allowed, ritual animal slaughter, and of course Islam, not to mention all the "black [whatever]" societies. I think they are likely to react more strongly to assaults on some Jews than on mere English!

At the bottom line though, societies do seem to work best when they are mono-cultural, because shared customs, values, humour, history, language are immediately recognised and there is harmony. That explains the chaos we have in the UK now!
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » 02 Mar 2015, 09:36

I was reading an article in Ha'aretz (a very left-wing Israeli newspaper) titled "Speak Hebrew or Talk to the Wall", and I immediately thought of the stories I read about Britain's government having forms in 30 languages, employing dozens of translators in each local council, etc. The article is about some professor's research project about the so-called 'language wars' in the early 20th century in Palestine.

A bit of background. Starting in about 1881, large numbers of Jews started flocking to Palestine (then part of the Ottoman empire). By the 1920s and 30s you had a veritable tower of babel, with German and Yiddish predominating, mixed with Russian and French and some Arabic.

Recognizing the need for a language to unify the newly-united people, a few pioneers resurrected Hebrew from a semi-moribund liturgical language to the living, spoken language it is today. However, the process was difficult, and progress was uneven, and this newspaper article talks about some of the difficulties.

A few quotes (the translation is my own):

Some evidence for the close race between Hebrew and other languages can be found in the various pamphlets circulated in Israeli cities. Some of them were published by "The Defenders of the Language", addressing store owners as follows:
"Answer to your customers only in Hebrew! Conduct your accounts only in Hebrew! All sales and purchases, all haggling and negotiations - conduct them only in the Hebrew tongue!"

Customers were addressed as follows:
Make requests only in Hebrew - if you are not understood, harden your heart, explain again and again until you get what you want."

To passengers on buses:
Hebrew man! When getting in a carriage or a car, address the driver only in Hebrew! Don't answer him if he replies in another tongue! ... If you hear calls and conversation in foreign tongues, don't hold your peace - rebuke them for this fault."

Residents of Tel-Aviv who addressed the municipality in other languages were ignored:
We hereby return this letter in German without reading it. A Hebrew citizen in a Hebrew city must address the municipality in the Hebrew tongue

What a vast gulf lies between those times and these!
Jonathan

Postby Gavin » 22 Apr 2015, 13:01

I was listening to Radio 4's Today Programme in Great Britain this morning at 7.40 this morning when Mishal Husain introduced their reporter Sima Kotecha whose article featured just before Kamal Ahmed came on to speak about economics.

Sima Kotecha cited the Stephen Lawrence incident - of 1993 - saying the police had suffered various scandals and were not trusted etc. She had travelled a town to find out why 6,000 people had gathered to remember their local policeman, Andy Hocking, who had died prematurely.

The problem is the report didn't really identify why at all. The reason is surely that PC Hocking was English and in virtually monocultural Falmouth, Cornwall - a county that remains 95.7% English. There is a sense of kinship and identity and common, shared, values and culture and there is low crime. This is why Mr Hocking would be remembered so well - but don't expect Sima Kotecha or the BBC to mention this factor.
Gavin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Multiculturalism & Immigration