Reports from London

Islam is, for now, included under this topic

Re: Reports from London

Postby Gavin » 27 Dec 2013, 16:07

British people flock to the shops to get all the latest bargains in their capital city!

Check the comments.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » 28 Dec 2013, 14:30

Heh, I've just come back from visiting friends in Romford, on the London-Essex border and often considered one of the last Cockney strongholds. I had a read of their local newspaper, which included mugshots of 30 people wanted by the local police.

I saw that three of them were black, one looked Middle Eastern and the rest white, and thought that wasn't nearly as vibrant a selection as I was expecting, but then had a look at the names and noticed that 14 of those whites were Eastern European.
Nathan

Postby Gavin » 28 Dec 2013, 15:27

Right, looking forward to your thoughts on the massive Eastern European influx in that thread if you have time. But I know how it is: we probably know what we all think, and there are only so many hours in the day. In the end all we can do is use any personal economic influence we have, and the vote. In many ways it's hard to not feel "taken over" in your own country now, though. You hear foreign languages everywhere, see foreign cultures (often third world or criminal ones). And we're paying for it all. No wonder people are unhappy and constantly saying "Vote UKIP" on the DT. They're like the Luke Skywalker of politics aren't they? The great hope. I hope they deliver, otherwise it will just keep spiralling downwards until the problems become undeniable even for the Left and then perhaps someone really serious will take over.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » 23 Feb 2014, 12:53

I'm not sure if I have ever posted this graphic on the site before - working-age adults in London not in paid work, grouped by gender and country of birth:

The data is not ideal, because it just mentions those not in paid work, with no mention of whether they are on welfare, or foreign students, or funding their life here by some other means. I'm willing to accept that a large number of the non-working French, Americans, and Indians living in London are just students, though I can't explain the gender gap.
Nathan

Postby Yessica » 23 Feb 2014, 15:09

Nathan wrote:Though I can't explain the gender gap.

Homemakers? The husband brings home the bacon, the wife cares for the kids. I assume there would be the same gender gap if you looked at native English.
Still very worrying that 60 % of Somali men don't work.
Yessica

Postby Nathan » 23 Feb 2014, 15:38

It gives the figures for native English (and for Germans) though, and women are only about 30% or so more likely not to be in work - quite probably housewives. I can't believe there are significant numbers of French or American women over here living on welfare, so maybe enough of them to skew the figures move over here because their husbands are senior enough professionals to be transferred over here for work, and earn enough for their wives not to need to get a job (I don't know about the visa issues involved)?
Nathan

Postby JamesB » 23 Apr 2014, 22:53

Some reports of my own from London.

Not long ago I was walking in Oxford Street near Marble Arch, and being seemingly surrounded by nothing but foreigners in the street, yammering away in their languages, I began to get annoyed and decided to take a stroll in Hyde Park. I crossed by Marble Arch and negotiated my way to Hyde Park Corner. All around me were foreigners, women in black burkhas, Middle Eastern men, Spanish and Portugese. On the edge of the park there was a scene - a uniformed 'Community Support Officer' or whatever they're called was apparently trying to arrest an Oriental woman, who was struggling violently and flailing about. The Officer was foreign, so was the woman, and looking around I saw that everyone passing by and watching was foreign too. Foreigners watching a foreigner arresting a foreigner, in the heart of the capital of Britain.

A couple of years ago I was strolling around near Euston Station and I saw a banner on the railings of St Pancras Church advertising a free art exhibition in the crypt - paintings by a London artist - large acrylic street scenes. I quite liked the paintings shown on the banner, so I went in. By the time I'd looked at all the paintings I was the only one in there, and the artist came over to chat. He was friendly and easy to talk to, white British and about the same age as me. We talked about painting and London and his influences. He invited me to a 'tour' of the exhibition that he was going to be giving shortly. After we had been talking for a while I decided to mention that I was finding it difficult to make a living in London (guitar tutoring) because most of my 'target clientele' had left the city in the last ten years. He thought about what I'd said and said 'Yee-ees...', still smiling but looking at me like he was thinking 'uh-oh, we have a racist here'. There was an awkward pause and the conversation sort of fizzled out, I went out but decided to go to the exhibition tour anyway because I was interested in what he would say about the paintings.

When I went back in there were about fifteen people in there, mostly foreign, and he took us round the exhibition, talking about each painting. He got to a street scene at the Elephant and Castle, which depicted groups of dark-skinned men moving around a central figure, a white middle-aged man in a white shirt who was holding a pint of beer with a glum expression on his face. He explained how he had seen this pub landlord who was really miserable-looking and decided to put him in a painting. He said 'I don't know why he was so miserable, maybe it was because he was surrounded by Middle-Eastern people. That's his problem then. He's just in the wrong place'. A Middle-Eastern woman gave a high-pitched giggle. The artist moved on to another painting. So much for the white British in London, then - dismissed, just like that. You have Turks, Libyans, Afghans, Persians, Poles, Pakistanis, Africans, etc etc flooding the streets, but it's not them who are in the wrong place, is it - no, it's the white British man who's in the wrong place - in his own capital city.

Walked from Ealing to Acton Vale and back the other week - a two and a half hour walk - and heard about three British voices the whole time.

A few months after I moved to London, when I was still claiming JSA, I was signing at the job centre and the clerk, a young British-Asian woman (only about four token white Brits working in the place), was asking me about my search for a job - she was quite pleasant and chatty. She asked me what kind of problems I might be having looking for work. I said one problem was that employers in London don't seem to be employing people from this country. Anyone who lives in or has spent time in London can confirm this. I try to avoid places like Tesco and Morrisons, preferring to shop at local independent shops, but when I have been in these places, I hadn't seen any British people among the staff. Same with places like Pret a Manger, Starbucks, Costa etc.

She paused for just a beat and then said 'That's a rather jingoistic attitude to take, given that Britain once had an empire, isn't it?'

I thought 'What the...?!''

I explained that all the shop jobs, warehouse jobs, etc etc were being done by people from abroad. Her smile had definitely gone by now. She was just denying everything I was saying. 'No they're not...no they don't...no...no'. I said that I had been in these shops and seen it for myself. I had seen job advertisements written all in Polish in the windows of shops. 'You assume they're foreign based on a visual judgement'. No, I had heard them talking, and they were all foreign. One Co-Op shop I'd been in had staff that were all Asian, shouting across the aisles to each other in their own language. On and on it went, me trying to explain what it was like, her just denying everything I said. She was visibly furious, her voice getting more and more angry and passionate. I was astonished at her totally unprofessional attitude. She had asked me what problems I was having, I had told her, and rather than listening and taking it on board she was acting as if I'd said 'All foreigners are scum' or something. Eventually I got heated and stood up to go. 'A rather jingoistic attitude to take'....Jesus.
JamesB

Postby Gavin » 24 Apr 2014, 08:37

Very interesting reports, which mirror my own. You might have read, I am currently in notorious Birmingham and have been documenting my experiences, but I will probably be back in London later this year. My wife and I left during the riots when our area, Balham, was boarded up. The call to Islamic prayer rang out from Tooting Common nearby, Tooting itself had been Islamified, from my window I saw mainly foreign people (principally Somalis, in their tribal outfits) and many of the houses on my road were in a ghastly state of disrepair (this because housing association properties were mixed in with privates ones which professional people such as myself could barely afford to buy).

So we sold, and moved. But the work will still mostly be there - for now - until they tax creators too highly (to pay for the ever-procreating underclass and third world immigrants) for them to bother being located in the UK at all. This time, like others, I will try to live even further out; in Surrey or somewhere like that, though when I moved to Balham in about 1999, it was considered a fair way out of London, on the suburbs.

I find it terribly sad to see the extinction of our culture and language across large parts of the UK, this aided and abetted by our quisling leaders. The loss of the language is particularly alienating, and all the time this change is accompanied by the rapid rise of the totalitarian ideology of Islam, based as it is on divisiveness and complete and utter nonsense.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 24 Apr 2014, 20:31

JamesB wrote:He thought about what I'd said and said 'Yee-ees...', still smiling but looking at me like he was thinking 'uh-oh, we have a racist here'. There was an awkward pause and the conversation sort of fizzled out

So easy to visualise! I know exactly the type, having been to art college.

He said 'I don't know why he was so miserable, maybe it was because he was surrounded by Middle-Eastern people. That's his problem then. He's just in the wrong place'.

Intonation means everything, of course, but based on the words alone you could take this as the artist slyly acknowledging that people don't like being among foreigners.

Walked from Ealing to Acton Vale and back the other week - a two and a half hour walk - and heard about three British voices the whole time.

This is the sort of thing that makes me think London must have really changed since I was last there, in 2007.

I said one problem was that employers in London don't seem to be employing people from this country... She paused for just a beat and then said "That's a rather jingoistic attitude to take, given that Britain once had an empire, isn't it?"

You know what's preposterous about this? Her implication is that what is happening, really is happening, but that the British deserve it because of the Empire, so we should just shut up and accept it. Two wrongs apparently do make a right - when it's convenient for the liberal.
Elliott

Postby JamesB » 24 Apr 2014, 22:53

It really annoys me when people bring up the Empire as justification for mass immigration. Many, many ordinary British people at the time the empire was going on were living in poverty or near-poverty. The slums in East London, for example, were at least as bad as any slum in India or Africa. The people who make the 'you deserve it' argument ought to read Jack London's People of the Abyss for a description of how many people were living back then; they seem to think it was one big party over here. The empire was conceived and organised by privileged, ruling-class people such as Cecil Rhodes and Alfred Milner and the owners of huge corporations, whatever lootings and atrocities took place the ordinary British people had nothing to do with. Yet now their ancestors must suffer, because it's 'karma'. Even though Ireland and Sweden etc are also being flooded, and they didn't have an empire. What about the karma for the atrocities carried out by Indians, such as in Kashmir? But no, it's only the British whom karma must punish.
JamesB

Postby Jonathan » 05 May 2014, 07:15

I would like to submit a report from London from an unusual source, in the hopes that an outsider's perspective will be instructive. Israeli singer and writer Karni Eldad has an article in the Israeli newspaper Ma'ariv (dated 2/5/2014) with the title 'A Day in London'.

A word of caution before taking it too literally - Karni Eldad is generaly considered right-wing (in Israeli terms), and the description of London only serves as a backdrop to the main theme of the article (some Israeli-Palestinian debate panel) and plays upon local (Israeli) demographic fears.

The following is my own slightly abridged translation of the first half of the article.

'A Day in London'

For three years I lived in England, but when I visited this week I did not recognize the place. The island has been conquered by Muslims...

...When I landed I checked my ticket again. It clearly said "Luton, London". But apart from that detail and the silly fact that those maniacs still drive on the wrong side of the road... the place looked utterly foreign.

For three years I lived in England. I fondly remember the good manners and good humor of its inhabitants, and I was looking forward to meeting them again - but it was not to be. There was no trace left. The Island has been conquered.

The English, who once ruled it, are almost completely extinct. Their place has been taken by Muslims - Pakistanis, Afghans, Palestinians, Lebanese, and more. All the saleswomen wear veils. All the taxi drivers have beards. Not just Muslims - pious, observant Muslims.

The combination of Democracy and the British immigration policy have extinguished the English race. They did not wish to destroy themselves from the outset, but that is the result. No Englishmen are to be seen in the streets. My Afghan taxi driver came here 15 years ago. Things were bad there, and he received political asylum. Now things are a bit better, and he goes back to visit every year. Ten years ago he got married over there, and had five children. Now he's bringing them to England.

"It's a very good land", he says. "Look at all these nice cars, fields, roads. There's a lot of money here, and work is easy to find. My family should be here with me, that's obvious". Well, what is now obvious is why England is now Islamic.

"Now there are too many Muslims here", he adds, "so the English make immigration more difficult. There are forms to fill, DNA tests to do, and fees to pay, and then they say there's some problem so you need to pay more. There's no law preventing my family from living here and getting citizenship, so they try to deter you with bureaucracy. Bureaucracy is the resort of cowards". Yes, also in England, taxi drivers are smarter than politicians.

The immigration policy in Britain has changed. It's much harder to be a political refugee today, or to get political asylum. But the change has come too late for the English, and for Europeans in general. Most European nations have a negative birth rate, and Muslim immigrants have five to seven children. What can they do? Have more children? Deport the Muslims? They'd rather go extinct than do that, and they are indeed going extinct.

Which is a pity, since they had a few nice moments.

I wonder how this compares with articles on the subject in British newspapers?

For me personally, the last line which I quoted was the most jarring. In Israeli newspapers, European nations are typically treated in certain stereotypical ways, such as admiration of their culture, envy of their good government, suspicion of antisemitism, resentment for past and present injuries, etc. But condescension and pity? I think it's the first time I've seen that.
Jonathan

Postby Nathan » 05 May 2014, 10:32

Interesting - always interesting to see things through a foreigner's eyes.

We're all aware of the stereotype of European and American Jews in positions of power promoting multiculturalism, but I wonder what people in Israel who've perhaps just been here on holiday typically say about what is happening to Europe when the topic gets mentioned at all - have you ever heard anything along the lines of "How could they be so stupid?" It would be a very fair question!

I wonder too if there is any Schadenfreude in certain circles at what we have invited upon ourselves.
Nathan

Postby Jonathan » 05 May 2014, 20:42

Nathan, I'm not sure if people here are aware how bad things are. I spent a week in London two years ago, and apart from one or two places I didn't feel overwhelmed. Maybe tourists just aren't as adept at picking out foreigners, and besides, they go to tourist attractions and are surrounded by other tourists.

Another part of the reason the problem isn't well understood here is that it's difficult to wrap your mind around the thinking that caused it. The idea of national self-determination is so universally accepted here that the possibility of a whole nation deliberately striding in the opposite direction is difficult to conceive. It's not "How could they be so stupid to do this?", it's more "How could their minds be so different that they would even consider this?"

As for schadenfreude, it may find a home in the hearts of the ignorant. But I think greater familiarity with European history begets more of a bitter weariness. The reason is that we've seen all this before. When airlines were first hijacked, El-Al was the target. Israel developed counter-terrorist techniques, advised other countries, was ignored. European airlines were then hijacked - appeasement was chosen as a solution. Same thing happened with the Munich terrorists. Then came bombs on buses, in garbage cans, in bags - Israeli problem, not European. Even the IRA didn't change anyone's mind. First Intifada? Israeli problem. Suicide bombers? Israeli problem.

Then came 9/11. The Americans woke up, but had no idea what to do. Bombs on trains in Spain? Appeasement. Suicide bombers in British subways? Somnolescence. Riots and molotov cocktails outside Paris? Must be some sort of class struggle.

When social unrest breaks out in Europe, it will follow the patterns of the first Intifada, the second Intifada, and the Arab Spring. We've seen it all before. Europeans will never see it coming. They won't understand what's happening even as the stones rain down on their car's windshield to the cries of "Allahu Akbar!"

But the main reason for bitterness is that what's bad for Europe is also bad for Israel, and bad for the Jews, and there's no way to stop it, no way to wake the sleepwalker before the cliff.

In what ways bad? A hundred different ways. Jews will be - in fact they already are - targeted by Muslim immigrants, and will not be protected by a state wedded to appeasement. Politicians eager to win the Muslim vote will court it with anti-Israel laws and rhetoric. Far-right wing groups will rise which will also consider Jews to be the enemy (already happening in Hungary). Jews will be blamed for the disastrous policy of unlimited immigration. Jews will also be blamed for sparking conflict in an otherwise peaceful paradise of multiculturalism. The contradiction will not prevent the same person from making the both claims (in Nazi Germany, Jews were castigated both for being greedy Capitalists and subversive Communists).

Muslim rioters will carelessly adopt pretexts from minor Israeli actions, and servile politicians will grasp them with both hands and blame us. Anti-Israel and anti-Jewish laws will be passed to placate restive crowds. Jihadi groups will recruit martyrs to blow themselves up in Israel (like the Mike's Place bomber from Britain) or fight across the Syrian or Egyptian borders. An economic recession will affect Israel's economy, which is still quite reliant on trade with Europe.

What to do? First, make room for Jews fleeing from Europe, batten down the hatches, and bear the storm - and thank God that just this once, Jews do have a place of refuge. Second, make certain a deterrent exists against nuclear weapons. Then, wait for the worm to turn. I suspect that many countries, when they finally realize their backs are to the wall, will look differently on that country which is quite used to having its back to the wall, and new alliances may be forged. A little help can go a long way, as the testimony of Col. Richard Kemp shows (00:00 - 01:26)

Oh dear, I fear my short and concise reply has grown into another doom and gloom rant. What were we talking about? Ah, Schadenfreude. Let's wait until brown-shirted Muslim gangs start running amok in European cities, smashing non-Halal stores and shouting "Kuffar Raus!". Then we'll talk Schadenfreude :) :) :)
Jonathan

Postby Nathan » 05 May 2014, 21:22

Jonathan wrote:Let's wait until brown-shirted Muslim gangs start running amok in European cities, smashing non-Halal stores and shouting "Kuffar Raus!". Then we'll talk Schadenfreude :) :) :)

That's OK, we can wait until the summer rioting season starts in a couple of months and have that thread then:p

The EDL waving Israeli flags around at its demos might well be a sign of things to come if far-right groups in Europe become more prominent, which I imagine would be deeply ironic for you. "But they are the only ones who know what these people are all about and who know how to deal with them!"
Nathan

Postby Jonathan » 09 May 2014, 18:49

Yeah, I noticed some of those flags. It doesn't always feel quite kosher to me. I keep wondering if the man standing next to the flag waver is carrying Mein Kampf in his backpack, or in his heart.

But the irony is thick enough to spread on toast. I suspect it will soon start to feel a quite surreal, like parts of that movie 'Mullholland Drive'.
Jonathan

PreviousNext

Return to Multiculturalism & Immigration