Chinese stereotypes

Islam is, for now, included under this topic

Chinese stereotypes

Postby Charlie » 03 Jan 2016, 09:55

The graphic below, which was linked to by Steve Sailer recently, shows a list of popular Google auto-complete suggestions from China.

Of particular note, I think, are the French and Swedish auto-complete suggestions. Or, as one commenter underneath the Sailer blogpost remarked:

Note to Sweden and France:

When the citizens of a foreign country recognizes how suicidal your immigration policies are, it might be time for a change.
Charlie

Re: Chinese stereotypes

Postby Nathan » 03 Jan 2016, 10:16

Nice, that's really interesting!

For all the negativity some of us have about the state of our country the UK is one of the few countries that they seem to have a positive opinion of!

It gives an interesting insight into how the Chinese mind works as well. Is the first thing they think about Spain really why it doesn't annex Portugal? And why shouldn't Belarus be called Belarus? I assume the Chinese word for Belarus must translate as "White Russia" like in a lot of other languages.

And I always thought it was Norwegians who killed whales rather than Danes. A Norwegian friend of mine once had a T-shirt that read "Save the whales. Kill a Norwegian." :p
Nathan

Re: Chinese stereotypes

Postby Charlie » 03 Jan 2016, 12:05

As far as Scandinavians are concerned, I've always found it amusing how they tease each other!

As for Chinese stereotypes: I noticed during my time at university that many of the Chinese students were fascinated by France, Paris and the French language. In particular, it was obvious that la Ville Lumière, to the Chinese, was a city full of stylish, good-looking white people.

I guess, then, that Chinese tourists have been noticing le déplacement taking place.

When it comes to Chinese attitudes towards Spain and Portugal, I think it's quite amusing and instructive to flip it around, since there is a fairly noticeable Chinese presence in Spain. When I lived there, no Spaniard was ever able to explain satisfactorily why so many Chinese had been allowed in to run corner shops (I was told that the Chinese apparently had some neat rental deal with the Spanish government), but this phenomenon had led to a noticeable dislike and resentment towards the Chinese among some sectors of Spanish society.

Spanish attitudes towards the Chinese tended to vary wildly, though: on the one hand, China was (and probably still is) the go-to location for Spaniards wanting to adopt children. On the other hand, as I said above, many Spanish people I met would openly insult the Chinese and describe them in the most racist manner possible, so there was definitely a lot of strong ingroup/outgroup distrust there, too, which, I imagine, one would be much less likely to see in NW Europe.
Charlie

Return to Multiculturalism & Immigration