Dr John Watson

Discussion of various public figures

Dr John Watson

Postby Gavin » 04 Apr 2013, 21:02

Radio 4 actually just put on a good programme profiling the behaviourist psychologist Dr. John Watson. I bet TD knows of this individual, though I think it is Conan Doyle's Watson to whom he refers in this classic essay. In any case Dr John Watson seems to have been one the sickest men ever to work in the medical profession. As if to prove this, he went into advertising when his "horribly conservative" (as one modern academic put it) peers disowned him.

This guy thought everyone was a blank slate and deliberately performed tests on children frightening them and disturbing them in order to try to prove his stupid theories. Three of his descendants killed themselves more than likely as a direct result of his sick influence (one of his beliefs was that children should not be shown affection).

I'm certainly not a behaviourist. Obviously there will be some influence in a person's upbringing and experiences but this is not everything. There is genetic variety between human beings too and to deny this seems to me to be deeply perverse.
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to Public Figures