Why get tattooed?

Examples of social decline, especially in the UK

Re: Why get tattooed?

Postby Nathan » 14 Nov 2013, 18:38

I don't have anything to add to that last comment, but thanks Lindsey - it's been most interesting to read that side of the story.
Nathan

Postby Lindsey » 14 Nov 2013, 20:36

No problem. You probably wonder what I'm doing on a forum like this, but I talk to people so frequently on benefits that the ones with no genuine reason to be on them so long I've become very wise towards. They do indeed have a language of self deceit and other than realising it myself and trying to put it into words, dalrymple is the first time ive seen it in writing. It also angers me because I know a lot of genuine people who lots jobs in the recession , or are disabled who now get tarred with the same brush because so many of the disingenuous benefits claimants have muddied the pool.
Lindsey

Postby Elliott » 25 Nov 2013, 04:41

I don't want to detract from the very interesting posts by Lindsey in this thread, but I just have to link people to this...

[Please be warned this is a very unpleasant picture of someone with knives through their nose]
Elliott

Postby Lindsey » 11 Dec 2013, 23:41

Well I hate to worry you all but I tattooed a scorpion on a pensioner yesterday . It was his first tattoo.
"Make my scorpion bigger than Dimblebys"

Look what you've started Dimbleby !!
Lindsey

Postby Gavin » 22 Dec 2013, 19:32

This could go in many threads, but anyway I followed a route from Twitter to this photo:

This chap is a rapper, in whose honour - no less - Pittsburgh City Council has dedicated a day of the year (not April 1st, either). He openly admits that he spends $10,000 per month on cannabis. Possession of that drug is illegal in Pennsylvania and potentially punishable by a year in prison and a fine of $5,000, but Mr Khalifa has apparently not been prosecuted despite his admission, presumably because of the special respect the council has for him.

You can see his wife here, in a video where "praying to the fashion gods" is required to in order avert a major disaster! This is the sort of thing that was shown every evening in the hotel where I was staying recently. Apart from that it was fine!

I'll spare you the photo I saw of someone who had pierced their nipples together. It's on Tommy Robinson's Twitter. It looked, um... really ugly and very painful.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 03 Jan 2014, 09:23

Never was a moustache more necessary.

Elliott

Postby Elliott » 03 Jan 2014, 09:24

Never was a wrongful conviction more deserved.

Elliott

Postby Yessica » 24 Jan 2014, 07:38

Do you think that there are conditions when getting a tattoo is quite okay?

For example how do you think about:

a) the devoted parent who has the name of his child tattooed... unlike the type who has it tattoed but does not care for his offspring which Dalrymple described

b) the man who loves his job so much he has something job-related tattoed

c) the devoted Christian who has a cross tattoed

d) the fiance of Lee Rigby who had a picture of him tattoed - or any other person who has the name or picture of a dead loved one tattoed

? Tattoos that would be the sign of a deep personal commitment so to speak.

(and isn't the Edinburg military tattoo an example of a tattoo that is quite okay?... just kidding... watched a video of it and liked parts of it very much but I cannot post in the music section)
Yessica

Postby Grant » 24 Jan 2014, 09:58

Yessica,
All those circumstances you've cited fall into the "look at me" category. Are the parents so dumb they need reminding of their children's names, hence the prevalence of tattoos is in inverse proportion to one's IQ? What's wrong with wearing a cross rather than having one etched into one's skin and which will eventually resemble a dead slug as the tattoo and skin wrinkle and discolour? I like my job but surely there are simpler, cleaner ways of displaying one's affection to one's profession? Join an association?
The death of any loved one is a significant life event but to go to the extent of having a passable likeness tattooed onto one's skin is again taking an intensely personal part of one's life and shoving it into people's faces. There's a lot to be said for keeping one's emotions intact in public and maintaining a modicum of dignity. I think that is the general theme of T D's book "The Toxic Cult of Sentimentality".
Grant

Postby Yessica » 24 Jan 2014, 12:06

Thanks for the answer, Grant. On the one hand you are right. It's a bit like look at me... but what is really the main difference between wearing a cross and having one tattoed? In both cases you are saying "Look at me. I am a Christian". The only difference I figure is that you can easily remove the cross you are wearing, while a tattoo cover-up is expensive and painful. That is why I would assume that the commitment to the Christian faith is stronger in the second case.

Where I live now it is somewhat common to wear an amulet related to your profession. It is most common in the Catholics who wear Saint amulets - every job has a Saint associated with it. Some protestants however have picked it up and are wearing similar amulets. The serve several purposes, one is that they are supposed to bring the wearer good luck in his profession, the other is of course saying: "I work as..."

In other regions I used to live that was far less common. I can see something positive in that wearing of amulets. It says: "Hey, look at me. I am a trained ... and proud of my profession". It may also give you a topic for a conversation. I know some guys having tattoos related to their job.

Sure they showing an emotion in public, but it is a positive emotion isn't it? Pride in doing your job well. Why should this emotion offend anybody? Probably I do not understand the English way of thiking about emotions. could you explain why you don't like it?

How would you think about a person having the English flag tattoed?
Yessica

Postby Nathan » 24 Jan 2014, 12:48

Grant is Australian, but I might be able to answer your last question.

Unfortunately public displays of the English flag (more so than the British one) by individuals have become associated either people who take football far too seriously for an adult or with the far-right. Having the England flag tattooed would be an instantly recognisable marker of being lower class, or perhaps ex-military.

My attitude to having a flag tattoo done - likewise with tattooes related to one's profession or any other tattoo for that matter - is "what's the point?" If somebody saw you walking down the street in England and you didn't look particularly foreign it could be taken for granted which country you were from; if you went to another country why would you want to broadcast the fact you were from somewhere else?

I could perhaps understand it if somebody whose major achievement in life was getting to the Olympics had the Olympic rings tattooed on them out of pride, because that would be a genuine achievement which the person had had to work hard for, but what's so special about being born in a certain country just like millions of others? If you were going to the World Cup or something and wanted to show your allegiance, then red and white face-paint or an England football shirt would be more than sufficient.

About having a tattoo related to your job, I'm not familiar with that here, though I think it's not unusual for people to have regimental tattoos in the Army. I can understand somebody being proud of having been through difficult and demanding situations in a job like that and wanting to show their pride once in a while, but isn't that what military medals and parades are for? At least with wearing medals or badges you can take them off when the situation doesn't call for them.

Aside from the fact I prefer bare skin to branded skin it just seems completely unnecessary. Using tattooing as a way of displaying identifying information about you not only shouts out "Look at me, look at me!" but seems like something done to you against your will, e.g. as a prisoner of war, or done to cattle - in both instances to exercise power over the brandee, to narrowly define what they are and to help stop them escaping from it!
Nathan

Postby Yessica » 24 Jan 2014, 13:40

Could you explain to me why the English flag is more controversial / right wing than the British?

Nathan wrote:Aside from the fact I prefer bare skin to branded skin it just seems completely unnecessary. Using tattooing as a way of displaying identifying information about you not only shouts out "Look at me, look at me!" but seems like something done to you against your will, e.g. as a prisoner of war, or done to cattle - in both instances to exercise power over the brandee, to narrowly define what they are and to help stop them escaping from it!

Interesting thoughts. I think some of the tattooed persons want to say it like this.

Cross: My life belongs to God
Flag: My life belongs to England
Name: My life belongs to spouse / child

I vow to the my country wrote: I vow to thee, my country (religion, spouse, child, and so on), all earthly things above,
Entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love;
The love that asks no question, the love that stands the test,
That lays upon the altar the dearest and the best;
The love that never falters, the love that pays the price,
The love that makes undaunted the final sacrifice.

Some people might have this in mind:

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 wrote:19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

... on the other hand the old Testament tells not to put marks on your body.
Very devoted Christians who just believe in the New Testament then?
Yessica

Postby Grant » 25 Jan 2014, 10:28

Nathan and Yessica,
Tattoos of the Australian flag and the Southern Cross are popular with the young here and have been used to alienate those Australians who may not fit the stereotypical image. ie "If you're not man (or woman) enough to get a tattoo like these, you're not much of an Aussie".
Public displays of emotion, either in body 'art', tedious Facebook postings or loutish behaviour with friends continue to reinforce the 'let it all hang out" mentality. I don't know if these people are guilty of that deadly sin of pride or have such a poor self-concept they need to bolster it by showing the world how they feel in the forlorn hope someone will notice them.
People who lead lives devoted to contribution and commitment don't need the approval of or attention from others. Their innate self-respect and humility, as opposed to self-esteem, are the basis for the moral compass by which they live.
Tomorrow is our national day which used to be observed in a rather laid-back, relaxed manner but the prevailing zeitgeist now sees cars adorned with Australian flags, organized Australia Day events and forced "Happy Australia Day" greetings which have a faux-American emphasis to them. Rather than the chest-beating, mindless histrionics I would rather a day that encourages us all to reflect on what being an Australian means and what we need to do collectively to improve our nation. Sadly, such thinking doesn't go down well with the majority who feel they aren't really celebrating the day unless someone sees them doing it in a very public manner.
Grant

Postby Gavin » 25 Jan 2014, 12:16

Very interesting posts (finally had a chance to take a quick look). Where I am staying now the "look at me" culture is in full effect. But if you look a second too long, of course, that will be interpreted as a challenge. I have never seen so many "flesh tunnels" and "sleeves" (what horrible, hideous, expressions). I openly commented on the phenomenon to an older lady waitress and she, after being stunned that someone had dared to pass a view, wholeheartedly agreed on their hideousness.

We have so many lupine and bovine thuggish louts among our own people that it sometimes seems we ought not to blow our trumpet too loudly. I am currently working with some skilled immigrants, a few of whom dress in conventional British style and show old-school politeness (as I think TD has experiences among trainee doctors). We have to get our house in order and set an example. It is surely because our own standards slipped (i.e. liberalism and leftism were allowed to take hold) that so much other depravity and alien subculture has been allowed to take root in this country.

On a positive note, over a million scroungers have today been found to actually be fit for work, so hopefully they will be forced to work. Also a businessman has been declared innocent after inadvertently breaking the arm and legs of a career thief who had targeted him. Even John Humphrys of the BBC (who I think is a closet conservative) seemed to like this one.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » 25 Jan 2014, 22:53

Elliott: Re. that "wrongfully convicted" tattoo you posted a few weeks ago - is it just me or does that picture look even more depressing because that young man doesn't naturally look at all thuggish, and could easily give the impression as being perfectly respectable?

Yessica: I would like to give a decent answer as to how the flying the English flag has acquired more negative connotations than the British one, or for that matter how we have got to the situation where not only do English people by and large not celebrate their national day but some English people get defensive about the idea that they might even know when it is, but I haven't got a proper understanding on that myself. I did write a little piece roughly on that topic here though.

Grant: Re the Australian flag - do you think Australia will keep that flag in the decades to come, as having a Union Jack in the corner becomes more and more of an anachronism as the country becomes culturally and demographically less British with every year?

I've read the typical left-wing moans about how the Aboriginal flag should be given more prominence, and I remember how in the Cronulla riots how the Australian flag got adopted by the white Australians who took part as "their" symbol. From a purely selfish point of view I like the fact that there are countries on the other side of the world that have our flag as part of their flag, but I do recognise that it might seem a little ridiculous to many these days.
Nathan

PreviousNext

Return to Social Decay